Decat pipes

JoshThePonce

Hey guys,

Looking at decatting my 350 but not sure what to go for, i've seen a few ebay jobbies but not sure on the quality? unless i go for a more expensive branded make? Anyway, has anybody had any experience with ebay ones and know if they're any good, fitment wise/quality etc?

any help or links would be much appreciated :thumbs:

cheers

I think I can shed some light on this subject.

I had an MOT last week.

My car was fitted with some kind of racing cats fitted at Abbey Motorsport by the previous owner - I was advised that they should have been okay come MOT time, however this proved not to be the case by some considerable margin!

Fortunately, I insisted on him letting me have the two original cats - which the garage refitted and hey presto the car passed the emissions test, unfortunately they were unable to refit the racing cats as the vehicle inspectorate made a surprise visit whilst my car was on the ramp!

Apparently, I think he said from April, a car that has been decatted will be given a fail even if it passes the emissions part of the test and will not gain a pass unless cats are refitted.

I hope this helps.

The poor car sounds as if it has been on a diet of Lockets.

Decats will fail an MoT on visual inspection, even ones that look similar as the tester will be sat there for ages trying to get them to meet emissions I would have thought? Like I said above, my Berks HFCs took a good 5 minutes to get to the pass point.

I think I can shed some light on this subject.

I had an MOT last week.

My car was fitted with some kind of racing cats fitted at Abbey Motorsport by the previous owner - I was advised that they should have been okay come MOT time, however this proved not to be the case by some considerable margin!

Fortunately, I insisted on him letting me have the two original cats - which the garage refitted and hey presto the car passed the emissions test, unfortunately they were unable to refit the racing cats as the vehicle inspectorate made a surprise visit whilst my car was on the ramp!

Apparently, I think he said from April, a car that has been decatted will be given a fail even if it passes the emissions part of the test and will not gain a pass unless cats are refitted.

I hope this helps.

The poor car sounds as if it has been on a diet of Lockets.

You need to go for a hard drive and make sure the sports cats are proper hot. :thumbs:

The car you have? who was the previous owner? I think that car had De-cat pipe fitted by the owner if I think you car was owned by who I think it was.

Mark

I have connections too...but...when I was running the MoT through by all accounts the system has to hook up remotely to the DVLA who take an electronic record of the emmissions test...as far as I know. So it must pass, regardless of how well you know the tester - well that was my understanding - Im sure there must be a garage on here who can comment?

• 3 weeks later...

It's amazing how close my emissions were to a vauxhall vectra when i was last in a UK garage getting tested.....

Anyway, yeah, the high flow/sports stuff, does need a good run to get them heated up, cats run hot when they're fully working, very hot. But high flows have far less stuff in them, when starting from cold, they take much longer for the reaction to get to full efficiency.

The 350 and 370 apparently have pre cats to help with the cold starts, they're very expensive and fancy setups stock.

It's amazing how close my emissions were to a vauxhall vectra when i was last in a UK garage getting tested.....

Anyway, yeah, the high flow/sports stuff, does need a good run to get them heated up, cats run hot when they're fully working, very hot. But high flows have far less stuff in them, when starting from cold, they take much longer for the reaction to get to full efficiency.

The 350 and 370 apparently have pre cats to help with the cold starts, they're very expensive and fancy setups stock.

The R35GTR has 2 sets of cats but both the 350?370 only have 1 set of cats.

That's what i thought, Mark. But a tuner over here has assured me that there is a small cat in the first length of the pipe, and the main cat after the slight bend. Two different material types, one for immediate reaction with expensive material in it, and the normal stuff in the main cat.

That's what i thought, Mark. But a tuner over here has assured me that there is a small cat in the first length of the pipe, and the main cat after the slight bend. Two different material types, one for immediate reaction with expensive material in it, and the normal stuff in the main cat.

edit: sorry I misread, I understood you were talking about the y-pipe but now I understand what you mean after re-reading :thumbs:

My bad :bangin: