Tyre insurance?

stuarty

Anyone had any experiences good or bad with tyre insurance.

Ive just bought a new bmw and its fitted with run flats. Ive been offered tyre insurance for a one of payment of £250.

I was told it covered me for 4 years or 5 tyres. It covered £300 per tyre any more and i pay the difference, theres no excess, no deductions for wear and tear but tyre obviously has to be road legal, also covers run flats. I think the only thing is you have to use approved garages and you have to contact them before any work is carried out.

I think its too good to be true as the policy price is about the same price as one tyre. Also it covers accidental damage and malicious damage. :shrug:

Ive just bought a new bmw and its fitted with run flats. Ive been offered tyre insurance for a one of payment of £250.

I was told it covered me for 4 years or 5 tyres. It covered £300 per tyre any more and i pay the difference, theres no excess, no deductions for wear and tear but tyre obviously has to be road legal, also covers run flats. I think the only thing is you have to use approved garages and you have to contact them before any work is carried out.

I think its too good to be true as the policy price is about the same price as one tyre. Also it covers accidental damage and malicious damage. :shrug:

Sorry man am I missing something?

Too good to be true? I sounds like daylight robbery to me! Are you basically saying your insuring your tyres against a puncture or being slashed for 4 or 5 years?

£250???? I'd rather set fire to a pile of notes than give an insurance company £250 to insure my tyres!

How many punctures/tyre slashings have you had in the last 5 years? 1 maybe 2........personally I'd run the risk (or better still put the £250 to getting some decent tyres and getting those hateful runflats off).

Sorry man am I missing something?

Too good to be true? I sounds like daylight robbery to me! Are you basically saying your insuring your tyres against a puncture or being slashed for 4 or 5

£250???? I'd rather set fire to a pile of notes than give an insurance company £250 to insure my tyres!

How many punctures/tyre slashings have you had in the last 5 years? 1 maybe 2........personally I'd run the risk (or better still put the £250 to getting some decent tyres and getting those hateful runflats off).

Only thinking about it just now. Insurer replaces run flats if they get a puncture! Lets say my tyres have 2mm tread left and i get a "puncture" they said they would pay for a tyre up to £300.

Also replacing the runflats with none runflats invalidates your car insurance, also this year new mot legislation states that a car originally fitted with run flats will fail an mot if none runflats are fitted!

I have it on the 911, along with alloy wheel damage. Think it was £300 all in for that, includes 5 tyres and 5 wheel repairs over 3 years. Given how a single tyre is over £300 and all my wheels are diamond-cut lips, it seemed a no-brainer to me. Haven't had cause to claim yet, but I've got one tiny chip on one alloy that will get claimed for just before the policy expires, along with anything else that needs doing.

I have it on the 911, along with alloy wheel damage. Think it was £300 all in for that, includes 5 tyres and 5 wheel repairs over 3 years. Given how a single tyre is over £300 and all my wheels are diamond-cut lips, it seemed a no-brainer to me. Haven't had cause to claim yet, but I've got one tiny chip on one alloy that will get claimed for just before the policy expires, along with anything else that needs doing.

Did you take it with porsche or elsewhere mate?

A few people told me to shop around as bmw was expensive and that im cheaper going straight to the insurer direct,

i had it with my mini from bmw and it was great, everytime the tread got low, stuck a nail in the tyres and they replaced them for a tenner excess at kwikfit :thumbs:

that is correct stuart. Never had any issues and claimed 4 each year

:ohmy::banned:

by any chance do you also claim for whip lash on all minor collisons as well?

i had it with my mini from bmw and it was great, everytime the tread got low, stuck a nail in the tyres and they replaced them for a tenner excess at kwikfit :thumbs:

that is correct stuart. Never had any issues and claimed 4 each year

:ohmy::banned:

by any chance do you also claim for whip lash on all minor collisons as well?

do get upset richard, the worlds screwing everyone.

play the game, break the rules

ps, do you always make assumptions with stuff that has nothing to do with you?

thought i'd ask since you like to ask irrelevant stuff

everything is a personal choice; I'm not your dad and your a grown man so old enough to make your own decisions.

for me its just not something I'd do; it feels like stealing, but i know where your coming from, my old mate when i was at school used to take out phone insurance, then near the end deliberately drop it in a glass of water and claim a new free phone; as the insurance was cheaper than buying the phone.

to be honest i blame the insurance companies its like they design the policies to be abused.

but this is why i don't take any insurance policies out apart from mortgage, car and if i have kids then life insurance. they are a rip off to everyone who doesn't abuse them. i even feel guilty that I'm having to claim on the house insurance after i ruined the carpet downstairs when i spilled stuff from a bin bag when i was emptying the bin. we even paid twice for 2 different companies to try and clean them before we even thought about ringing the insurers.

These insurance policies are sold to be abused. They are sold to the customer and in indirect terms the customer is advised how to screw it.

It's your own choice whether or not to claim however what i do disagree with is you making the assumption that I would claim for whiplash for every minor accident. You are in no position to make these assumptions/allegations and voice it publicly.

I watched my parents pay for stuff all there life and never claim and then when they go to the insurance company says no. I won't stand back and let these insurance company's win. They are the biggest scam artists around.

however what i do disagree with is you making the assumption that I would claim for whiplash for every minor accident. You are in no position to make these assumptions/allegations and voice it publicly.

Neil he asked the question wether you claimed for whip lash at every opportunity, he made no assumption's or allegation's. I would be more concerned that you state the fact publicly that you make or have made false claims on your insurance policies. :surrender:

however what i do disagree with is you making the assumption that I would claim for whiplash for every minor accident. You are in no position to make these assumptions/allegations and voice it publicly.

Neil he asked the question wether you claimed for whip lash at every opportunity, he made no assumption or allegation. I would be more concerned that you state the fact publicly that you make false claims on your insurance policies. :surrender:

I feel that the question asked was irrelevant of the fact of what I stated. He asked a question but it was meant as a dig. Don't play stupid to it. There was no reason for that question to be asked.

I'm not concerned by what I posted as these were a very long time ago and not in my name.

You post on an open forum that you made false claims on an insurance policy, and your back up to this that makes it fine is that it was a long time ago and you did it under a different name.

i think my question about IF you claimed on minor accidents for whip lash was actually more of a rhetorical question as you seem to answer the scenario more and more every time you type.

what your parents have to do with this i have no idea, but i will say if my dad knew i'd done something like this he'd be ashamed of me as thats not how he brought me up.

as i said in my last post you are your own person and you make your own choices, but this is possibly something i wouldn't be openly voicing on an open forum, not because the insurance police will catch you; as we both ascertained i don't think they actually care. but more that its not doing you any favours if you want to be taken seriously.

your reply was far more damaging than my original post; i may have given you the spade, but you dug your own hole and jumped in feet first without even looking :shrug:

Tyre insurance has been quite common place over this end of the pond for quite a few years. Have I insured my tyres, no, but you do think about it. If you do it make sure you read all of the terms and conditions to ensure there's no lovely little fish hook.

your reply was far more damaging than my original post; i may have given you the spade, but you dug your own hole and jumped in feet first without even looking :shrug:

Exactly what I'm talking about. You love this.

What you said genuinely caused offence

as i said in my last post you are your own person and you make your own choices, but this is possibly something i wouldn't be openly voicing on an open forum, not because the insurance police will catch you; as we both ascertained i don't think they actually care. but more that its not doing you any favours if you want to be taken seriously

I'm not after social acceptance on here, this is a fantasy world where people like to act like someone who they really aren't.