It'll buff out...

brillomaster

Or not...

Just edging out of my residental parking area to try and see round a van... didnt see the car the car coming from the right until he'd taken my front bumper off... bummer :blackeye:

6743435297_cbd57edb3e_z.jpg

looking at the damage i'm hoping it is just the front bumper, and the headlight cluster - maybe a wheel arch liner as well. Anyone with bodyshop experience have an idea of how much it might be? Either way, thats my £500 excess and my NCB gone, which also means i'm set back a month on saving for a zed :thumbdown:

Any luck they'll declare it a write off and pay out, which would save me MOTing it and selling it...

i hate the vans that park on my road - guess my missus is going to have to wave me out in future, as i couldnt have been edging forward any slower!

Sorry to see this though glad you are OK. Got to question the attention/ability of the car driver if he couldn't stop or swerve around your front end, especially if you were only crawling.

This is what I was thinking. Although not sure if the OP maybe came out a bit abruptly? Didn't want to rub salt in the wounds though! :snack:

Dont bother with your insurance for that - it'll cost you £2000 over the next few years in increased dividends if you declare that.

Get a new bumper from a scrappers for under £100, then get it sprayed up for £200 for a cheap job and fit it yourself - should be very easy.

Dont bother with your insurance for that - it'll cost you £2000 over the next few years in increased dividends if you declare that.

Get a new bumper from a scrappers for under £100, then get it sprayed up for £200 for a cheap job and fit it yourself - should be very easy.

What about the other party though - I assume he will be liable for their repairs.

hmmm i was edging... but might have been edging a bit faster than usual... there was a van opposite as well and i think the driver of the car that hit me had to move well over to the left to let another car pass - if there was more space he would have probably been able to avoid me.

had a look around and it seems that if a car pulls onto a road, its their responsibility to make sure it is clear before pulling out, so pretty sure its my fault.

Not that it makes a lot of difference, but the car that hit me was a P reg Kia Mentor, so not expensive, but i guess it doesnt make any difference for me, a claim is a claim! Hopefully it hasnt made insurance so ruinously expensive it destroys my dream of a zed!

Did something similar myself back in the 70's. I was reversing out between 2 cars on a narrow street and just glanced a passing car. No damage to my Triumph GT6 but put a light indent right down the side of the other car. I considered it to be my fault and rather than lose my no claims paid for the other car to be repaired...it came to about £70, a weeks wages for me back then.

Pete

Good news! Insurance have accepted my valuation of £2000 and will be paying out that amount (less my £500 excess) Personally think its worth a little more (~£2200) but happy to have got them to increase their offer from the £1200 insult they originally offered :thumbs:

So its zed ville for me! Have already agreed a sale price on ash's zed and will be exhanging moneys and keys next weekend!

Hang on.

So you have just had your car written off by the insurance company and can now afford to insure a zed?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope you have checked the insurance cost before you get one. When my missus made a claim on her car a couple of years back, (wasnt even a write off), her insurance rocketed so much she couldnt afford to insure it and had to sell it off and buy a shed. Even then she struggled to insure the shed!!!!

Hang on.

So you have just had your car written off by the insurance company and can now afford to insure a zed?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Protected no claims maybe?

Pete

Even so, they still take it into account if you have an accident. Also NCB protection only applies if you stay with the company your currently with if i remember correctly. If you move elsewhere you still have to disclose you have made a claim.

Having a claim on your record will still likely add to the insurance cost, protected no claims just means the level of no claims discount offered isn't reduced by having a claim. They still take the claim into account when assessing the risk.

When getting some quotes through admiral my dad had a no fault claim just before renewal (neighbour reversed into his parked car) and that bumped the prices up about 40% than without it, using the same levels of no claims bonus.

well i compared quotes with 3yrs NCB and it was £1100, and then with one accident in the last year and no NCB, it went up to £1450. That was a single car policy, except im with admiral multicar, so it'll be cheaper that that, and they also said one claim takes 2 years off your NCB, so i still have one years NCB, and im 25 in march, with a clean license and no points. I'm expecting a bit of a hike, but not too bad - i'll probably pay the premium monthly rather than all in one go.

And i had £4k in savings to put towards the car... obviously W plate Honda civic does not equal 53 plate 350Z!

well i compared quotes with 3yrs NCB and it was £1100, and then with one accident in the last year and no NCB, it went up to £1450. That was a single car policy, except im with admiral multicar, so it'll be cheaper that that, and they also said one claim takes 2 years off your NCB, so i still have one years NCB, and im 25 in march, with a clean license and no points. I'm expecting a bit of a hike, but not too bad - i'll probably pay the premium monthly rather than all in one go.

Yeah, id check the insurance carefully. Admiral multicar always doesnt mean it will be cheaper. I just renewed my car insurance and it was cheaper for me to insure 3 cars and 1 motorbike seperately rather than go through their multicar. They must have rang me up at least 4 times asking if I wanted to "save money" and go with their multicar policy and each time they just couldnt beat the prices I got from insuring each car seperately via quotes from confused.com.

If 1 claim only takes 2 years of your NCB then I need to start cashing in on my 20 years NCB. I could probably have 8 claims before id have to start worrying about things!!! ;)

Still £1450 isnt bad for a 25 year old with no NCB and an accident. I was getting quoted £1200 and im 40 with 20 years NCB.