E39 M5 Paint correction detail

Envy Valeting

I've been looking forward to doing this paint correction detail since the summer. Many thanks to Chris (the owner) for the booking and thanks to Baz at Auto Detox for agreeing to a days work.

Day 1:

Started with the engine being detailed with G101, various Envy brushes and high pressure water.

DSC05797.jpg

DSC05798.jpg

Sadly in all the fun on day 2 I forgot to take pics of the engine after, it looked beautiful and matt black for those that are interested.

Once the engine was clean I did the beautiful wheels with AS smart wheels and Envy brushes, and the new Vikan wheel brush which I've just taken stock of!! (like an EZ detail really).

Snow foam then followed.

DSC05799.jpg

Allowed to dwell, rinsed off then washed with the two bucket method, grit guards, Z sponge and Sour Power shampoo. Dried off to look like.....

DSC05800.jpg

DSC05801.jpg

DSC05802.jpg

The car was moved indoors then to take some snaps of the defects.

053.jpg

DSC05803.jpg

DSC05804.jpg

DSC05805.jpg

DSC05806.jpg

DSC05807.jpg

050.jpg

DSC05808.jpg

DSC05809.jpg

DSC05811.jpg

DSC05812.jpg

DSC05818.jpg

DSC05819.jpg

DSC05820.jpg

The car was then de-tarred on the lower panels and behind the wheels with TGB, and then clayed with Meguiars smooth surface clay bar.

DSC05810.jpg

The interior was then given a full hoover, leather was cleansed with Dr Leathers non-solid leather cleaner (not the wipes) and agitated with a brush. Plastics and dash cleaned and conditioned. Glass cleaned with an alcohol based cleaner. Here endeth day 1!

Day 2:

Saw the arrival of myself and Baz from Auto-Detox at 08.00 and paint thickness measurements were taken. All good healthy levels all round. Typically around.......

DSC05821.jpg

Time to protect the plastics and raised areas between panels etc.

DSC05822.jpg

Polish choice we both pretty much both chose Scholl Concepts S3+ Gold edition, and I settled on the Scholl yellow spider pad. Baz chose the 3M orange compounding pad. We also used the Meguiars 4" cutting pad.

Here is a pre-refinement 50/50 after 1 pass on the wing

DSC05824.jpg

DSC05825.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

The bonnet was pretty tough and was subject to 3-4 passes with the polish/pad combo just to remove the defects and we knew it was going to be a long day!

Progress was slow but a clear difference could be seen.

DSC05826.jpg

Natural 50/50

DSC05827.jpg

DSC05828.jpg

DSC05830.jpg

DSC05831.jpg

DSC05832.jpg

In between sets we were wiping down with the lovely Eraser product, I'd not used this before but its VERY good

Once the cutting stage was carried out the car was de-dusted, wiped down with Eraser again then the whole car was refined using Menzerna Final Finish, 3M blue waffle finishing pads, and Megs 4" finishing spot pads too. De-dusted again, de-taped, wiped down again and given a coat of a Vintage wax and left to cure.

The stunning Hayward and Scott tail pipes were hit with Autosol, glass had an alcohol based cleaner, tyres had RD50. I'm sure something else happened too!!!!

As you can imagine, the sun was long gone so only indoor "after" pics as we'd been on the car for 11 m/hrs just yesterday alone.

The wax was buffed off and all that remained was to take the after pictures.

DSC05833.jpg

056.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

All in all the car was subject to 30hrs of hands on work, and we hope you can tell the difference!

Thanks for looking, and many thanks to Barry for making the work load a lot lighter and the day (all be it 11hrs!) go faster!

Tim

I've been looking forward to doing this paint correction detail since the summer. Many thanks to Chris (the owner) for the booking and thanks to Baz at Auto Detox for agreeing to a days work.

Day 1:

Started with the engine being detailed with G101, various Envy brushes and high pressure water.

DSC05797.jpg

DSC05798.jpg

Sadly in all the fun on day 2 I forgot to take pics of the engine after, it looked beautiful and matt black for those that are interested.

Once the engine was clean I did the beautiful wheels with AS smart wheels and Envy brushes, and the new Vikan wheel brush which I've just taken stock of!! (like an EZ detail really).

Snow foam then followed.

DSC05799.jpg

Allowed to dwell, rinsed off then washed with the two bucket method, grit guards, Z sponge and Sour Power shampoo. Dried off to look like.....

DSC05800.jpg

DSC05801.jpg

DSC05802.jpg

The car was moved indoors then to take some snaps of the defects.

053.jpg

DSC05803.jpg

DSC05804.jpg

DSC05805.jpg

DSC05806.jpg

DSC05807.jpg

050.jpg

DSC05808.jpg

DSC05809.jpg

DSC05811.jpg

DSC05812.jpg

DSC05818.jpg

DSC05819.jpg

DSC05820.jpg

The car was then de-tarred on the lower panels and behind the wheels with TGB, and then clayed with Meguiars smooth surface clay bar.

DSC05810.jpg

The interior was then given a full hoover, leather was cleansed with Dr Leathers non-solid leather cleaner (not the wipes) and agitated with a brush. Plastics and dash cleaned and conditioned. Glass cleaned with an alcohol based cleaner. Here endeth day 1!

Day 2:

Saw the arrival of myself and Baz from Auto-Detox at 08.00 and paint thickness measurements were taken. All good healthy levels all round. Typically around.......

DSC05821.jpg

Time to protect the plastics and raised areas between panels etc.

DSC05822.jpg

Polish choice we both pretty much both chose Scholl Concepts S3+ Gold edition, and I settled on the Scholl yellow spider pad. Baz chose the 3M orange compounding pad. We also used the Meguiars 4" cutting pad.

Here is a pre-refinement 50/50 after 1 pass on the wing

DSC05824.jpg

DSC05825.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

The bonnet was pretty tough and was subject to 3-4 passes with the polish/pad combo just to remove the defects and we knew it was going to be a long day!

Progress was slow but a clear difference could be seen.

DSC05826.jpg

Natural 50/50

DSC05827.jpg

DSC05828.jpg

DSC05830.jpg

DSC05831.jpg

DSC05832.jpg

In between sets we were wiping down with the lovely Eraser product, I'd not used this before but its VERY good

Once the cutting stage was carried out the car was de-dusted, wiped down with Eraser again then the whole car was refined using Menzerna Final Finish, 3M blue waffle finishing pads, and Megs 4" finishing spot pads too. De-dusted again, de-taped, wiped down again and given a coat of a Vintage wax and left to cure.

The stunning Hayward and Scott tail pipes were hit with Autosol, glass had an alcohol based cleaner, tyres had RD50. I'm sure something else happened too!!!!

As you can imagine, the sun was long gone so only indoor "after" pics as we'd been on the car for 11 m/hrs just yesterday alone.

The wax was buffed off and all that remained was to take the after pictures.

DSC05833.jpg

056.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

All in all the car was subject to 30hrs of hands on work, and we hope you can tell the difference!

Thanks for looking, and many thanks to Barry for making the work load a lot lighter and the day (all be it 11hrs!) go faster!

Tim