Anyone been to San Francisco?

DoogyRev

Alcatraz is worth a look - but you will need to book well in advance. You can't just pitch up on the day.

Yes you can. Lots of boats with spaces when I went in September 2007. :thumbs:

Worst case scenario is book the day before if you want/need a specific time.

I was there september last year and Alcatraz was booked up a week in advance. I went at night, fog came right in and was freaky!

As above, over the bridge in Socilito is nice. Nob Hill is richville and has some nice houses. The architecture is nearly all 1910 onwards due to the 'quake.

It's a nice walking city and they have trolley type tours leaving from the pier area all day so you could get most 'sights' done in a day and get some history in at the same time.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my father in law lives just outside the city (to the east over the bay and hills) in a place called Walnut creek. we go out there at least once and sometimes twice a year. :teeth: its a great place and very much worth a vist. most of the in town things to see have been covered in previous posts.

i would say the best way to see the city is to walk and cable car your way round... if you are going for the cable car take my advice and jump on it part way round its route as the queues at the start of the routs can be crazy long, that said you are going out of season so it should be quieter... in fact in feb it could be crazy cold in SF!

the city itself is in its own micro climate and can be cold and foggy there in the height of summer! we have been there before where it has been 105 degrees in Walnut creek (30 mins drive from the city) and only 65 degrees in the city itself. have over the years driven and riden around the city in different cars and on harleys with highlights being driving over the golden gate bridge heading north onto highway 1 in a 2005 Corvette and riding a harley fat boy (like arnies in terminator) through the buisiness district with the sound that went with it (rode like a pig but sounded good!)

if you can get a hire car there is soooo much more to see! heading north to sausalito and then up to nappa or stay on the coast and go to Bolinas and Bodega bay (great Oysters!)

heading south you have half moon bay and the great highway 1 down to Santa Cruz (home of the lost boys) and then round monterey bay to monterey itself, keep going to reach Carmel (clint eastwood is the town mayor here)

i would say Tahoe is prob too far to go if your over there on a business trip but if you ever go back for a holiday it is beautiful up there! and the must must see place if you are out there on a holiday is Yosemite national park!

i have so many photos and memories!

we are heading back out there this september and will be popping up to vancouver for a few days while there for some mountain walking and Giant sturgeon fishing

hope you have a great trip!

my father in law lives just outside the city (to the east over the bay and hills) in a place called Walnut creek. we go out there at least once and sometimes twice a year. :teeth: its a great place and very much worth a vist. most of the in town things to see have been covered in previous posts.

i would say the best way to see the city is to walk and cable car your way round... if you are going for the cable car take my advice and jump on it part way round its route as the queues at the start of the routs can be crazy long, that said you are going out of season so it should be quieter... in fact in feb it could be crazy cold in SF!

the city itself is in its own micro climate and can be cold and foggy there in the height of summer! we have been there before where it has been 105 degrees in Walnut creek (30 mins drive from the city) and only 65 degrees in the city itself. have over the years driven and riden around the city in different cars and on harleys with highlights being driving over the golden gate bridge heading north onto highway 1 in a 2005 Corvette and riding a harley fat boy (like arnies in terminator) through the buisiness district with the sound that went with it (rode like a pig but sounded good!)

if you can get a hire car there is soooo much more to see! heading north to sausalito and then up to nappa or stay on the coast and go to Bolinas and Bodega bay (great Oysters!)

heading south you have half moon bay and the great highway 1 down to Santa Cruz (home of the lost boys) and then round monterey bay to monterey itself, keep going to reach Carmel (clint eastwood is the town mayor here)

i would say Tahoe is prob too far to go if your over there on a business trip but if you ever go back for a holiday it is beautiful up there! and the must must see place if you are out there on a holiday is Yosemite national park!

i have so many photos and memories!

we are heading back out there this september and will be popping up to vancouver for a few days while there for some mountain walking and Giant sturgeon fishing

hope you have a great trip!

I am off to San Francisco for 10 days :yahoo: ..... will mostly be work and no play :thumbdown:

...But I may get the odd day or evening to mooch about. Anyone who has been got any recommendations on things to do/see??

I went in 2007, China Town is great, Giradeli's ( typo? ) chocolate factory/shop, Alcatraz, California museum, plus LOADS of shopping deals! Camera equipment was very cheap :thumbs:

I am off to San Francisco for 10 days :yahoo: ..... will mostly be work and no play :thumbdown:

...But I may get the odd day or evening to mooch about. Anyone who has been got any recommendations on things to do/see??

I went in 2007, China Town is great, Giradeli's ( typo? ) chocolate factory/shop, Alcatraz, California museum, plus LOADS of shopping deals! Camera equipment was very cheap :thumbs:

You will have to give me a shout when your there... hopefully we will have moved out there by then :yahoo::yahoo:

One of the best places I've been too.

The best bit about it is the tramps........they're funnier than hell.

When I was there one had snapped off a load of branches and turned himself into a makeshift bush......periodically he would leap out at unsuspecting passers by while about 20 other people were watching and pretending to read the post cards, dropping him a few dollars for this ossum entertainment. :lol:

When I was there one had snapped off a load of branches and turned himself into a makeshift bush......periodically he would leap out at unsuspecting passers by while about 20 other people were watching and pretending to read the post cards, dropping him a few dollars for this ossum entertainment. :lol:

A dude did that to me down at the pier area. I nearly crapped my shorts.

A dude did that to me down at the pier area. I nearly crapped my shorts.

Thats the one!! - was it an old black dude?

Apparently he's been doing it for years?

I think it was. I nearly decked him. He did it, My other half was next to me and I went all 'protector and self preservation' for a few seconds and realised it was in fact an old tramp and not someone trying to kill me. I really did mess my shorts though as I never even saw him at all!

• 3 weeks later...

Only one more sleep to go :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: ...... well I say sleep, it won't be a full sleep :yawn:

Thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations folks, I am going with a colleague....... who refused to book a seat next to me :lol: ..... and he has decided to hire a car..... so an expedition or two may be in order, depends on time I guess :shrug:

I have my camera and spotted cards, so will update you as and when :teeth:

:wave:

Safe journey buddy, take care, speak to you soon :D

Only one more sleep to go :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: ...... well I say sleep, it won't be a full sleep :yawn:

Thanks for all your suggestions and recommendations folks, I am going with a colleague....... who refused to book a seat next to me :lol: ..... and he has decided to hire a car..... so an expedition or two may be in order, depends on time I guess :shrug:

I have my camera and spotted cards, so will update you as and when :teeth:

:wave: