ls-1 ls2 conversion??

abc123

hey guys the ls1/ls2 engine conversion seems like a big hit in the states, just wanted to know if anyone has done the swap here in the UK? any thoughts on the final results, is it worth the effort or best to just stick to the s/c or turbo route?

I personally think if you want big power this is the best way to get it. You can turbo a ls1 ls2 to 800bhp with no problems and all parts are off the shelf in the us including the kit for the 350. Works out cheaper IMO than doing fi'ing the vq.

Who are Falcon performance?

I'd seen this conversion on TVRs but for some reason had never considered it on the Zed, what sort of costs are involved? I'm asuming they are big...what would be needed for a successful conversion, just the engine and gearbox?

As said already this swap is an alternative to getting big power FI or 450-500whp Na with the right upgrade parts as an alternative to FI a built VQ block or NA bolt-on which is less reliable especially when running high boost.

It is probably cheaper this route and parts/tuning options for LSx motors are cheaper in the states and so is labour.

There are 3 main companies offering swap kits

- Sikky (http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=27&catid=12)

- Hinson (http://www.hinsonsupercars.com)

- Chasebays (http://www.chasebays.com)

But if you ever consider this swap then you have to do your homework first to address all the pros and cons.

Pros:

- availability of parts and tuning options

- very easy to get 350-450whp as NA with intake cams etc)

-More torque per comparable Hp level

- very reliable engine

- Can't beat the sound of a V8

- Cost the same or less to get the same level of power as a built VQ but obviouly more reliable.

- cheaper to run on comparable power level

Cons:

- electrical side of things can be frustrating but solutions are more readily available.

- cost of getting the engine ad Gb into the Uk and installed

In general sikky swap kit is the almost bolt on but their wiring loom service is unreliable. Chasebays looms are best. Hinson have an overall unreliable service and very poor after sales care.

There main issue most face is to get all the nissan guages/ speedo to work by integrating the nissan ecu in tandem with the GM ecu but if you are going to use a standalone ecu then it is less an issue.

Note: Whatever LS enegine you go for you should be aware that the ancillaries are located differently so there may be issues fitting. The T56 gearbox is what you need for a bolt-on swap Other GBs eg T6060 will need modding to fit the existing kits. The safest route is to use the Ls2 and T56 GB from the GTO which is what most kits are base on and will fit with little or no need for modding.

If money is no option then the GTO combo with stand alone ECU and digital race dash will get everything working like it was made that way.

The other issue is getting the AC to work like OEM via the dial but there are solutions out there and if you car is soley for track use then you will have got rid of the AC anyway.

See this link and bild threads on my 350z for all the info you may need. LS1 tech is also very useful.

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-driv ... hread.html

It will be nice to see someone do it and it is likely Falcon will be first.( Spoke with R35lee at the classic car show at the NEC and these was on the pipeline :thumbs: )

But if you ever consider this swap then you have to do your homework first to address all the pros and cons.

Pros:

- availability of parts and tuning options

- very easy to get 350-450whp as NA with intake cams etc)

-More torque per comparable Hp level

- very reliable engine

- Can't beat the sound of a V8

- Cost the same or less to get the same level of power as a built VQ but obviouly more reliable.

- cheaper to run on comparable power level

Cons:

- electrical side of things can be frustrating but solutions are more readily available.

- cost of getting the engine ad Gb into the Uk and installed

Just to add one thing to the cons list, which applies more to an engine swap than a TT/SC kit, and that's to write off the very vast majority of the cost of the whole shebang. A TT/SC'd car is relatively easy to put back to stock and if you buy second hand (which, it has to be said, most people do these days) then you'll reclaim most of what you spent. The time & cost of putting an LS'd Zed back to stock is going to be horrendous unless you have the ability to completely DIY it, and if you leave it all in then you'll never reclaim anything of what you spent when selling the car on. Well, maybe a grand or two, but certainly nothing substantial.

That said, this was the only mod I ever gave serious consideration to doing when I had my Zed. Crate engine was approx £10K, I figured another £4K for bits and then another £2K on top for a garage to finish off the bits I couldn't, plus 10% just in case. Trouble was that would then have left me with a car that would've been nigh-on unsellable not to mention doing all the other bits you really should do for 400bhp+ (suspension, brakes etc) and my car was already well modified in that aspect at a serious cost. You have to really love your Zed, want to keep your Zed forever and/or have a stupid amount of money to burn before considering this IMHO, as you'd be far better off just buying a quicker car in the first place (TVR if you want the V8 sound + speed, 996TT if you want the speed + luxury).

And despite all that, I would love for someone to give it a go over here as I think it's a far more interesting project than just slapping a couple of turbos to a car.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like Bennet has done his homework :ninja:

+ a very long discussion weighing up the costs over turbo/sc.

I had a vision of the LS2 way way back, but unless you've got a large amount of wonga in the pocket it's really not worth considering.

Not really worth it, can get a R35 for £30k or a 996 turbo for £22k

True but I think anyone planning an LS2 swap does it for the fact the Zed is transformed and made unique, as well as power.

R35 and 996 are still what they are....

True but likely to be quicker & more reliable.

Not to mention they'd almost be considered an investment compared to the money you'll loose with an engine swap. In the US its a hell of a lot cheaper to do than over here which is why people do it. I'm with the majority on this one, I'd love to see it done, but no way I'd do it to my own car.

I looked into it last year, Sikky do a kit and its not too painful on the pocket, and having driven an LS1 200SX and later a supercharged LS1 200SX (650hp/1100kg :scare: )I personally think its worth the hassle if you are looking for big, reliable power - dont forget the noise either. :thumbs:

A lot of drifters are heading in this direction, mainly for the reliability but also for the power delivery - the Zed has a pretty decent engine already but if Im honest Im surprised more havent looked into it. That said, despite being a power hungry bastard, I actually think the VQ suits the Zed pretty well, I dont think Id ever do it now :)

I've also looked into this as a possible future project but the deal-breaker for me is the massive faff getting all ancilliaries and gauges to work properly. It's fine if you want a stripped out drift/track car with a digital dash and all the luxuries of a caterham, but from the stories on the US forums if what you want is your car exactly the same but with an Ls2 in it, you're going to be disappointed.

DB