A question for the detailling fraternity..........

glrnet

I've just bought new wheels with polished lips, I'm told they have lacquer on the lips to protect them and I'm a bit concerned regarding the correct protection and cleaning products that I should be using. I already have in the garage the following products which I have used on the old Rays. Megs Hot Wheels, Envy Valeting "pre cleaner", Big White hi temp sealant.

Any tips and pointers much appreciated, stuff to definitely avoid would be useful too. :thumbs::)

Avoid Megs Metal Polysh etc as it cuts.

Basically I'd get a good sealant on and then wash often with a mild shampoo. Topping up the sealant as often as you can.

The main thing you want to avoid is stone chips or kerbing on a lacquered rim, once the water gets in the wheels need a refurb as it can't be polished out.

I'm sure Tim at Envy Valeting will have great recommendations and products for the job. :)

Hi Graham!

What ever you do dont start using metal polish! In theory if they do have the lacquer thats a good thing, bare matal wheels are a total pain to look after.

Right, the Meguiars Hot Rims should be fine (have a read of the bottle but I'm 99% sure thats what it'll say)

Snow foam wont do any harm either, and the other product I know is fine for them is the Wolfs Chemicals De-Ironiser/brake duster product. Guaranteed safe on all wheel types, but as you already have the hot rims you dont need to replace anything yet ;)

I've been using Espuma Revolution at 10:1 on my polished lip wheels for well over a year now, and have had zero side effects with it. Well, apart from very clean wheels of course! :D

+1 on Espuma ... and great value for money. Lasts for ages B)

Pretty good cheers mate, I'm just about recovered from the wedding on Xmas Eve, which went rally well with no hiccups at all! :scare:

The wife is now downstairs making me some dinner, so I think I've just about got her trained too :lol:

congrats mate, you better hope she doesnt see that or it will be a divorce and half the porsche going to her :lol:

Glad it all went well, but had to laugh at your "which went rally well", petrol head through and through :lol::lol::thumbs:

Pretty good cheers mate, I'm just about recovered from the wedding on Xmas Eve, which went rally well with no hiccups at all! :scare:

The wife is now downstairs making me some dinner, so I think I've just about got her trained too :lol: