I think this is pretty amazing...

waltzinblack

They don't. You have way more chance of understanding how much bigger the things are getting with each slide than what mankind collectively knows about how big the Universe is.

You have zero chance of comprehending how much bigger those things are getting because you live inside a human brain that deals with things it can see. So that leaves mankind kind of screwed about the rest of it.

What's outside the universe?

That's an interesting question...I've always believed that space is infinite so there could be further universe's just like ours out there but at truly mind boggling distances...trillions of light years away perhaps (or much further) :shrug: .

Pete

Some interesting stuff. It hurts my brain to consider;

If we can only see up to 140 Ym of our Uinverse, and it's estimated to be 900 Ym, then thats a hell of a lot of stuff that we can't see/know about e.g other planets/universes.

And then, even if we could see up to the edge of our universe, what's to say there isn't another universe next to us? Or even lots and lots of other universes :scare:

When you think of things on these sorts of scales, it's actually hard to fathom that Humans would be the only intelligent lifeform out there :wacko:

That's pretty interesting, but how do they know how big the universe is if we can't see past the edge of the universe? What's outside the universe?

Human physics stops at the edge of the universe. Beyond that is conjecture at the minute!

As for other intelligent life, such is the age and size of the universe, millions of civilisations could have come and gone and we would never know about it.

That's pretty interesting, but how do they know how big the universe is if we can't see past the edge of the universe? What's outside the universe?

Infinity +1 ;)

It actually makes your head ache trying to figure it out - what really gets me is how far back you can go, what preceded what? What was here before the universe, and what was here before that? Where did it all come from?

If you havent already, watch Wonders of the Universe its on BBC iplayer at the moment. Really is amazing but unfortunately makes you realise how insignificant we are :p

I'm very happy being insignificant. I always loved the bit in '28 Days Later' when the army said that wiping out the humans on earth would return it to normal.....