This car is really...................

manphibian

Terrible on ice :lol:

Went up to the lakes today and went into a carpark that was a bit slopey, with some ice, and i was like bambii :lol:

Ford Ka's and Corsa were flying past without a care in the world as i floundered around aimlessly for 5 minutes, before having to put dirt and twigs down on the ice to get some traction....

Real cool B):blush:

Looks like i won't be venturing out much over winter then :teeth:

:lol: Don't ya just feel cool? :lol:

Don't let it put you off driving it though. Once you get moving its not too bad, but getting it moving is the challenge. ;)

A couple things that I have found help me out when driving in the Snow/ice in the zed - When on snow/ice no matter how gentle you are with the clutch it seems to develop a bit of wheel spin when you pull away from standstill, leaving the handbrake on to reduce the torque at the wheels helps a fair bit until you get rolling.

I never seem to have any trouble getting traction when reversing, so you can reverse to an area of better traction then get a run up for the slippery bit.

If you know your gonna be driving in the snow/ice, reduce your tyre pressures a bit.

:drive1

Yep it resulted in me staying in work on Thursday night. I was due to finish at 0300 but be oncall till 0800. I walked out of the front door to A&E and looked at the snow falling, only thing it was worth walking to my car for was to get the sleeping bag out of the boot. Really didnt fancy having to race back in for an emergency, id probaby have stacked it and created more work for everyone! It was an uncomfortable night on the office floor. Tho i didnt actually tell the SHOs i was staying, id never have got any sleep!

Feel sorry for you Rob, but definitely the sensible approach! I've put winter tyres on this year, so hopefully the Z will remain useable.

As for traction pulling away, what I've done in the past in other cars (my Z's an auto) is to pull away in 2nd or 3rd gear. You have to be sensitive on the pedals as the clutch will be taking more strain, but you don't want big revs and power anyway. Not sure what the tradeoff on damage/wear-and-tear is compared to Sam's handbrake suggestion.

In any case, your wheels must not spin up as you pull away - as soon as they do you'll have compressed the snow beneath them into hard ice and it's time to jump out and break it up with a shovel.

Apologies if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs, but I've been stuck a lot myself! :)

Ian

Surprised you ventured up to the lakes, after snow overnight? never mind manp those snow socks look a handy piece of kit. :thumbs:

Just went to the South Lakes Wildlife park :lol:

No snow there, but the carpark is a bitch :D

Lol, quite cold up here this morning. Turning much milder next week though.

If other cars were going past then it wasn't ice you were getting stuck on! Probably just snow compacting.

If it was ice nobody would be going anywhere!

I drove home this morning on hilly, bumpy, adverse camber country roads this morning that were totally untreated. I was in my Navara but I didn't even have to put it in 4WD, RWD all the way home. Good tyres make all the difference. :)