maxxis ma z1

david 164

We've got them on the rear and they've never missed a beat - however they're budget and more 'serious' drivers would perhaps refer to them as 'ditch-finders'.

I ain't found no ditches yet though

You mustn't be driving seriously enough then :lol:

That said, i've just fitted a set of wheels that i bought for the winter and it's on Maxxis tyres, and they're doing alright so far. I wont be giving it too much though :drive1

maxxis are very well thought of these days in the track scene, especially in drifting.

My missus dads tyre place is a stockist and im trying to get a hold of track tyres to test them out. Currently the semi slicks only come in very small wheel diameters

Have them on my rears here - they were on the zed when I bought it. Never heard of them before so was expecting them to be pants and I would have to change them but have been pleasantly surprised with them so far. Pretty decent grip in the dry but they are a bit twitchy in the wet though. I'll probably change them to 452s when the time comes but they'll do until then

Not zed specific, but they got pretty decent reviews on other cars here

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Maxxis/MA-Z1-Victra.htm

I know they're not the same tyre, but I recently got rid of 4x Maxxis tyres on a different car as ALL FOUR were losing air (about 5-6 bar per week). I know I must be incredibly unlucky and this sort of thing can't happen to many people, but the tyres were not very old and I would have expected better even from a budget tyre. I personally wouldn't touch them again.

I know they're not the same tyre, but I recently got rid of 4x Maxxis tyres on a different car as ALL FOUR were losing air (about 5-6 bar per week). I know I must be incredibly unlucky and this sort of thing can't happen to many people, but the tyres were not very old and I would have expected better even from a budget tyre. I personally wouldn't touch them again.

I'm guessing you mean 5-6psi a week. If it bar then is say you had a puncture. That sounds more like a seating problem on the rim and not being sealed correctly. I wouldn't say it was the tyres losing air. Did you not get them checked for punctures and leaks?

I'm guessing you mean 5-6psi a week. If it bar then is say you had a puncture. That sounds more like a seating problem on the rim and not being sealed correctly. I wouldn't say it was the tyres losing air. Did you not get them checked for punctures and leaks?

Tyres were checked, rechecked, moved around and whatever else. >10 visits to tyre shops. I think I just got extremely unlucky with a set of rubbish tyre compound (maybe same batch). And yes, I did mean PSI :)

Tyres were checked, rechecked, moved around and whatever else. >10 visits to tyre shops. I think I just got extremely unlucky with a set of rubbish tyre compound (maybe same batch). And yes, I did mean PSI :)

That is extremely unlucky bud. What model of maxxis was it, if you can remember?

That is extremely unlucky bud. What model of maxxis was it, if you can remember?

No idea to be honest, but for 3 weeks, all 4 corners lost air week on week. I couldn't believe it myself. I thought 1 tyre, maybe 2... So the basis of my 2 cents is: Falken 452s, Toyo Proxes & Ultrac Sessantas are the only mid-range cheapo tyre I'd go for.

• 1 month later...

I had bridgestones on my car when I got it, then a set of nearly new Federal SS595, and now Maxxis MA-Z1 all round on Rays.

There is a "Drift" variant of the MA-Z1 which is not as good as a road tyre as the "standard" MA-Z1, unfortunately it was the Drift variant which autoexpress tested (and it still rated it above some premium contenders): http://www.maxxis.co.uk/news/maxxis-res ... press-test

The Federals were OK, but overheated quickly on track and not brilliant in the wet. Nowhere near as bad as Sunway ditchfinders, but they are cheap.

On road in the dry I cannot tell the difference between bridgestone and ma-z1 - perhaps they are a little noisier. In the wet I have to be quite aggressive to have the TCS light flash, perhaps the threshold is a little below bridgestones. On track the Maxxis seem to overheat faster than Bridgestones, and you can feel the softer sidewall flex leading to the car moving around a bit more.

I'd say as a budget road tyre they are great value, when you consider how much cheaper they are than the money no object choices like Vreds or re3050s, it made sense to me.

I'd say as a budget road tyre they are great value, when you consider how much cheaper they are than the money no object choices like Vreds or re3050s, it made sense to me.

VUS really aren't expensive, certainly nowhere near what the 050As cost so it's a bit unfair to lump them in the 'money no object' category IMHO.

VUS at the least or nothing personally. Why put tyres on your Zed that will make you slower?

We've got them on the rear and they've never missed a beat - however they're budget and more 'serious' drivers would perhaps refer to them as 'ditch-finders'.

I ain't found no ditches yet though

You mustn't be driving seriously enough then :lol:

That said, i've just fitted a set of wheels that i bought for the winter and it's on Maxxis tyres, and they're doing alright so far. I wont be giving it too much though :drive1

Just to update this post since it's popped back up again...

I fitted my winter wheels that came with Maxxis tyres and... they're absolute garbage. So much so that i decided not to drive my car over winter and have SORN'd it instead.

On about 3 occasions in the damp, i had the car sideways (With TCS on) coming off various roundabouts, and that would never have happened with my other wheels on (Goodyear Eagle F1's).

This may sound like i dont know how to drive, but i was purposely booting it to find out the breaking point of my new tyres, and found the answer quite quickly. :thumbdown:

Why put tyres on your Zed that will make you slower?

Because my 350z is a road car and I'm not chasing tenths on the daily commute . The tyres don't make it any less fun to schlep around Oulton park either. The money I saved pays for a couple of trackdays, or half a cheap holiday...

On about 3 occasions in the damp, i had the car sideways (With TCS on) coming off various roundabouts, and that would never have happened with my other wheels on (Goodyear Eagle F1's).

Which model maxxis are they?

Why put tyres on your Zed that will make you slower?
Because my 350z is a road car and I'm not chasing tenths on the daily commute . The tyres don't make it any less fun to schlep around Oulton park either. The money I saved pays for a couple of trackdays, or half a cheap holiday...

They also increase your braking distance which will come in quite handy in both situations, as well as giving a more communicative car which will increase your fun as well as your ability to get yourself out of trouble should someone else put you in a situation out of your control. Still, your car, your money.

VUS really aren't expensive, certainly nowhere near what the 050As cost so it's a bit unfair to lump them in the 'money no object' category IMHO.

VUS at the least or nothing personally. Why put tyres on your Zed that will make you slower?

They might work out about the same though, VUS's are very soft and only lasted me 15k miles and I really dont drive hard at all. No track days, and 400miles at most of B road driving. Im going with f1a2's for the rear soon.