Nissan 350Z - Paint Correction + Valet

Paul Smith

Afternoon all,

Introduced myself recently as I had been drafted in to spend some time on "Cholula" as she was in need of some paint correction and a good valet to bring her back up to standard.

Although my main interest is now in photography, I have been detailing and valeting for years now. Despite having my camera with me, I neglected to take many "before" shots to turn this into an in depth detailing thread so I do apologise. You won’t find any pictures of an expensive tub of polish sitting on a well folded micro-fibre cloth here I'm afraid :lol:

Anyway, I'll list what products were used along wit some description which I hope will be of some interest to you all.

It was obvious to me that "Cholula" had seen some paint correction before but it looked like it had been caried out using a very rough compound on an old hard pad . . . not nice :yuck:

The car had been taken to a local jet wash shortly before I arrived as there is no water supply in the secure underground car park where the car is kept so there was no snow foaming on this occasion :dry:

• Full car washed using two bucket method and Meguiars shampoo plus.
    Front, sides and rear of car de-tarred using AS Tardis.
    Full car re-washed again.
    Bodywork and glass clayed using Meguairs Medium clay bar and Last Touch as lubricant.
    Full Body correction carried out using Porter Cable DA Polisher, 3M compounding pad and Megs Ultra Cut Compound #105.
    Full car then polished using Megs Ultra Finishing polish #205 and 3M Perfect IT III polishing pad.
    Bodywork then sealed AG Extra Gloss Protection.
    A coat of Collinite No.915 Marque D'Elegance Car Wax then applied.
    Tyres dressed with AS HighStyle.
    Exhaust tip de tarred using Tardis then metal wool and polished with AG Metal Polish
    Glass cleaned and treated with AG Car Glass Polish.
    Brake calipers de greased, brushed and polished.
    Dashboard cleaned and treated with AG HighStyle.
    Leather cleansed and fed using Auto Glym leather cleaner and Conditioner.
    Seats cleaned with AG Leather Cleaner and treated with AG Leather Car Cream
    Full car brushed and hoovered

Some light scratching.

Nov-2011525.jpg

Nov-2011524.jpg

How the clay bar looked after doing roof -

Nov-2011528.jpg

How the clay bar looked after doing front bumper-

Nov-2011530.jpg

Nov-2011544.jpg

Nov-2011531.jpg

Nov-2011532.jpg

Nov-2011537.jpg

Nov-2011059.jpg

Nov-2011497.jpg

I've deliberatley adjusted the camera settings here to best show the paint. The lighting in the underground car park was not the best for taking pictures :)

Nov-2011552.jpg

Nov-2011559.jpg

Nov-2011556.jpg

Nov-2011557.jpg

Nov-2011569.jpg

Nov-2011571.jpg

Nov-2011584.jpg

Nov-2011565.jpg

Nov-2011585.jpg

Nov-2011560-1.jpg

It was dark by the time I had finished so the shots above are the best I could capture I'm afraid.

From what I know the wheels are next for a full wheel re-furb.

I now have a large part of me that wants a 350Z, especially after spending so much time on the car.

Thanks for looking.

Paul.

Nice work mate

Might get u to make my skyline swirl free in the spring. I detail all my cars but only clay, polish (not rotary) and wax. Never had the balls to attempt swirl removal :lol:

Would be good to see how much ur charges are

Nice work mate

Might get u to make my skyline swirl free in the spring. I detail all my cars but only clay, polish (not rotary) and wax. Never had the balls to attempt swirl removal :lol:

Would be good to see how much ur charges are

Why not? The OP used a DA and thats impossible to do any harm.

Think thats a bit extreme. With a high cut pad and proper polish you could do damage. I managed to on a test panel from an old banger with my Kestrel. Admittedly you have to go at it a while, but its certainly possible to burn through, especially with thin Nissan paint. With a low cut pad and diminishing cut polish you'll be ok though, just not too many hits, and dont try to get the RIDS out.

Yep it's the legendary Nissan paint that puts me off. If it's bad on a zed I'm thinking it's prob worse on a car twice it's age :lol:

Actually the Skyline probably has better paint! Not sure if its old enough to have oil based paints but if it does it will have significantly harder paint.

Yes but that's like anything though. If use a hard pad and a real gritty polish of course it will go through. I can't even get the panel to heat up with a DA. How long was a while?

I'm sure you will find that 99% of people never run into any trouble using a DA as they are so bloody slow.

Rotary is where it's at.

Think thats a bit extreme. With a high cut pad and proper polish you could do damage. I managed to on a test panel from an old banger with my Kestrel. Admittedly you have to go at it a while, but its certainly possible to burn through, especially with thin Nissan paint. With a low cut pad and diminishing cut polish you'll be ok though, just not too many hits, and dont try to get the RIDS out.

Ahh makes sense now. Il look into it more in spring once it warms up. With the car being non metallic white the swirls aren't that noticeable but I know they're there :lol:

Liking the pic in ur avatar as well get some of ur photography up in other cars we like pics here

Warms up in the spring? This is as warm as it will get in Glasgow :lol:

On detailing world Davekg has some awesome guides and theory about polishing. Well worth a read :thumbs:

Ahh makes sense now. Il look into it more in spring once it warms up. With the car being non metallic white the swirls aren't that noticeable but I know they're there :lol:

Liking the pic in ur avatar as well get some of ur photography up in other cars we like pics here

Never heard of using a clay bar before? Whats that all about then, sounds a bit :scare:

I was raised to only use T cut :thumbs:

Is this "clay bar" a proffessionl weapon or can any Joe bloggs (or Dicky bloggs) use it and does it require much in the way of skill or technique?

Do tell