Washing Mitt

WoREoD

I've had a Meguiars wash mitt for just over a year and have been really pleased with it.

However, it's looking a little tired so I'm going to invest in a new one. This leads me to two questions:

1) Is there a better Mitt out there I should consider?

2) How do you look after your mitt - When mine's dirty I tend to pop-it in the washing m/c with the towels. Non-bio detergent, 60 degrees, Linens. Is there a btter way?

Answers welcome from all, especially you detailers!

I actually have a tesco mitt which i used on my old BLACK MG, and it did not leave any swirls or marks at all, so it is safe to say good to use on the 350.

It is a mitt with lots of little bits coming out of it, hard to explain and i do not know the terminology, but very good as it pulls dirt and grit away from the surface, thus not scratching your car. AND goes in the wash at 30

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used the Meguiars Microfibre Wash Mitt for the first time at the weekend (been using a sponge up until now) and I must say I'm very impressed. Holds plenty of water, cleans the car up well (including bug splats), and feels somehow gentler on the bodywork than the sponge ever did - don't want to end up with scratches. I don't think I'll be going back to a sponge now (except to clean the wheels and exhaust).

I used the Meguiars Microfibre Wash Mitt for the first time at the weekend (been using a sponge up until now) and I must say I'm very impressed. Holds plenty of water, cleans the car up well (including bug splats), and feels somehow gentler on the bodywork than the sponge ever did - don't want to end up with scratches. I don't think I'll be going back to a sponge now (except to clean the wheels and exhaust).

I've got one of each of the Megs ones..... the lambswool one for most of the bodywork, then the Microfibre one (old one) for the "dirtier" areas, such as lower sills, arches, rear valance etc...... happy with both.

Although not needed to washing machine them yet. I use two bucket method and plenty of rinsing and so far they've stood up well!

I've got one of each of the Megs ones..... the lambswool one for most of the bodywork, then the Microfibre one (old one) for the "dirtier" areas, such as lower sills, arches, rear valance etc...... happy with both.

Although not needed to washing machine them yet. I use two bucket method and plenty of rinsing and so far they've stood up well!

Same as Jacko for me too i use the two same mits i would not use anything else :thumbs:

I actually have a tesco mitt which i used on my old BLACK MG, and it did not leave any swirls or marks at all, so it is safe to say good to use on the 350.

It is a mitt with lots of little bits coming out of it, hard to explain and i do not know the terminology, but very good as it pulls dirt and grit away from the surface, thus not scratching your car. AND goes in the wash at 30

I think your using a microfibre mitt. I bought a pink one for my sister. :teeth: I bet yours is pink!! ;)

I think your using a microfibre mitt. I bought a pink one for my sister. :teeth: I bet yours is pink!! ;)

Sarnie's will be to go with his pink hat and gloves :lol:

Oh I think I saw one of those at the weekend. It has loads of little tenticle type things. Wondered how well that would work. Bah, I have the Megs one now anyway.

Having read a fair bit on microfibre materials - how sad is that !! - the general feeling is that you should not put them in a washing machine as the detergent affects the microfibres!!

You should wash them in a cool wash with car shampoo like you use on your car and rinse with clean water.

NEVER tumble dry them as it ruins the cloth!!

This should keep them useful a long time!!

Ming the Nerdy

Ive been using the meguiars microfibre mitt for a few weeks now. Ive always used a sponge :blush: to clean my cars before, but Im really impressed by the difference the mitt has made combined with decent car shampoo instead of the cheap stuff. :blush:

• 1 month later...

Treat a lambswool mitt as you (or the wife would) a lambswool sweater - gentle soap flakes, hand wash, drip dry. Synthetic mitts of all types can go in the wash, on a 40 degree setting, but no tumble dry - surely you're not in such a hurry ?

I got a lambswool one from Race Glaze at £9.99, which is superb, and is wool both sides. I upgarded from a simulated (i.e. fake) sheepskin one from them at about £6 which is now for my wheels - thats still fully intact after 2 years. I do like their products and personal service.