Project JDM Whore *Power Enterprise TT Build*

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Something happened.

I wasn't ready for this, luckily  my wife is understanding :lol:

i was planning on building my own TT kit next year (Thanks to ChrisDrift on YouTube for the walk through and inspiration :))  but I jokingly said to TT350Z that I would buy his TT kit if he stripped his car, He wouldn't strip his car but he did offer to sell me the entire car - so I bought it :doh:

And here we have both Zeds together outside the JDMWhore's soon to be new home :)

Y6Ht1RY.jpg

its a bit rough, but I only want it for the TT Kit and Forged engine :teeth: everything else will be for sale and the shell will probably get scrapped - unless someone wanted to make a generous offer on a rusty rolling shell :lol:

TN9STRs.jpg

I believe the spec of the engine is - hopefully Adrian @Torqen can confirm this as I believe the block came from him.

Wiseco Pistons .020 over
Eagle/SCAT H Beam Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP VQ35 Main Stud Kit
Ceramic/Moly Piston Coating
Block inspected and cleaned
Block re-decked
Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate
Block water passage cut for HR Head gaskets
Rotating assembly balanced
Crank magna-fluxed and the journals micro-polished
New Moly coated Race Spec main bearings installed
New Moly coated Race Spec rod bearings installed
Block prepped and assembled

Power Enterprise TT kit

and should be good for 650whp, which I wont get to without bigger turbos. but if i can get a reliable 500whp then I will be very happy :)

Once the garage floor has been sorted then I can start removing things and get the engine out and on the stand to be tarted up a bit and checked over along with the turbos. 

Edited by Ian
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

Update incoming. Still waiting on the garage to be finished so I can get my ramp installed :( I have though, made a start on the project.

Bought an ARC oil catch can, Those of you that have been here long enough will know how much I love ARC products and rare JDMparts in particular :teeth:

C8wcP2y.jpg?1

Started stripping down the front end of the car 

lsDKgFh.jpg?1

Gaw81qk.jpg?1

pipework removed ready for stripping back and refinishing - still deciding between wrinkle black or CF skinned.

Disgusting interior (after much cleaning, I need a Bio hazard suit to do the rest)

x9Nqvsk.jpg?1

think I removed enough McDonald's fries for a happy meal

of course, whilst stripping the car down, I checked under the radiator cap AND.........

U4B7zw9.jpg?1

So I checked under the oil cap AND......

32cnRz2.jpg

:(

I still need to test it, but I am 99% certain the head gasket has gone. There is still that small hope that the residue left under the caps is from the last time it happened to this car

I'at a bit of a crossroads with it now. Anyone who's read the previous owner of this cars build thread will see the huge amount of problems they had with the engine. So, do I

1) Cut my losses with the engine, Sell it as it is and fit the TT kit to my low mileage stock engine and lower my HP goals?

2) Hope that it is just the head gasket that's gone, replace it and hope for the best?

3) Replace the gasket, use the head off my low mileage engine & stick some cams in there while I'm at it?

Sensible, grown up, responsible me thinks option 1........................

Out of interest, how much would a forged engine with a blown HG be worth?

• 4 months later...

Seeing as my garage is finally finished and usable, its time to crack on and get this started :) 

Got the top part of the engine stripped down, air con rad removed along with the ARB, ready to come straight out the front

RyvMs3D.jpg?1

Rear passenger side cylinder is leaking, badly. Pretty sure the HG is toast. On the plus side, there was no chunks of metal when i drained the oil!

ebhRhGg.jpg

9M6zoxK.jpg

Stripped off the valve covers to retrieve coolant pipe and remove turbo pipes

gmfw0Xc.jpg

Noticed that one of the O2 sensor wires were broken

KGULKaZ.jpg

And shes out

s8Q1Bkf.jpg?1

96VPxRc.jpg?1

Now down to the engine.

Not done a compression test and not checked the plugs yet but seeing the leakage from the head, i'm certain at the very least the head is knackered. So, what do i do next?

• Send engine off to Abbey, have a full strip down and rebuild and check everything is OK with it, possibly chuck a set of cams in it while its open
  • cut my losses with this engine and sell it, fit the turbo kit to my good working engine that's currently in my car

I'm leaning more towards option 2 and just running it at 400 hp instead of 500 hp

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

6 months has passed since my last update and TBH i've not done a lot but I have made a start on the project :) Having kids takes up a lot more time and money than you think

The donor car has been completley stripped and scrapped, my own car was then moved into the garage :)

I bought an APS plenum

80bvCgH.jpg

bLOEtfS.jpg

starting to strip down the front end ready for the engine to be removed

v2JKxPE.jpg

found some rust :(

6H7ULDZ.jpg

SAgBigY.jpg

not bad for a near 17 year old car thats lived outdoors all its life, needs sorting though :)

so the current plan is to strip down the forged engine and check the damage, if its the head gasket then ill replace the gasket, get the heads skimmed and use it in this build, if not then ill just use my engine.

after that i am planning a full on restoration of my Z so its unlikely to see the light of day anytime soon but it keeps me out of trouble :lol: and my wife says im never allowed to sell the car :lol:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this works out for you.

I repeatedly asked Ken at R.E. Performance in Bury, to check the gasket. He insisted it was not the problem as it was brand new.

I would have kept it if I'd gotten to the bottom of the problem but, with zero mechanical skills, it was spiralling out of my control. 

I hope it's nothing beyond gasket.

Good luck. 

• 1 month later...

This TT project looks interesting, defo the best TT kit ;) . Interested to see howp the whole project goes.

Come on lets get some updates, we're on lockdown anyway and the weathers picking up!

BTW what happened to the cosworth plenum? Look so good B)

Edited by ballistic

On 15/04/2020 at 00:00, Ian said:

I’ll post an update later this week :)

cosworth plenum went years ago when I sold the car :( it was beautiful :cloud9:

Oh man those things are so nice. I wish i got one back in the day. 

So your running the APS one now? Any idea what the performance is like between that and the cozzie. Ive read the APS one has the best gains?

No idea TBH, i haven't had the car running with the APS one yet. 

The Cosworth was such a beautiful thing to look at, i wish I'd kept it and hung it on the wall :lol:

Onto the overdue update. I toyed with selling the car but i couldnt bring myself to do it and move onto something that I didnt know as well as what I know these :)

I made full use of my Easter Sunday and pulled the engine and gearbox

uibPBt9.jpg

Need to give the engine bay a good power wash once people can come close enough to help me push it in and out of the garage :)

At the moment all plans are on hold until I know my work situation once Covid-19 lockdown has ended and if I stil have a job to go back to. I've got a long shopping list once its all sorted.

Forged engine has been sold.

I'm torn on the route to go next, I think this is my "forever car" so I want it to be perfect. Its going to take me years to restore it to the way it used to be, however given the advancements in the engine swap route over the past few years I am so tempted to have a proper crack at another 2JZ swap - only this time done by the only person I trust :)

• Like 1

Another day and another purchase that wasn't planned but allowed by a very understanding wife :lol:

xRceBHh.jpg?1

BFvQ22z.jpg

370Z Akebono brakes & a black suede headliner :)

At the moment, I am planning on keeping them green, i think the contrast will work well with the GM paint :) 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Still on furlough and still no sign of a return to work which means any real spending is still on hold :(

I have managed to get on with a few little things this weekend though. I've always hated the quality of the plastics in the cabin so had a go at wrapping a few panels in suede earlier :)

Only done the passenger side A-Pillar, Both arm rests and the two rear strut parts so far. Should get a few more bits done tomorrow with the left over material I have :) Plan is to have a nice mix of suede and carbon fibre (proper carbon not the cheap stick on/hydro tat)

ltXxFUR.jpg

yYWnz1B.jpg

EjQEy5S.jpg

Hbvzgb1.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome, I was thinking about doing that just the other day over the rear cabinet plastics.

Look forward to seeing the completed photos!

Should reduce cabin drone/reverberation which was one of the big things for me . (I have only rose joint and poly bushes - no rubber bushings on the car :teeth:)

@Ian

With you on the plastics, im tempted to do a similar thing but with leather skins and brushed metal finish wrap as im not a fan of carbon fibre.  In the process of checking it out. 

Looks good, interested in the finished product.

I did some more bits today, Managed to get some of the dash done and the passenger side grab handle :) and then I ran out of adhesive spray.

I did get some pictures on the fancy camera rather than my iPhone but I left it in the garage so I'll post them tomorrow :) 

12 minutes ago, Ian said:

I did some more bits today, Managed to get some of the dash done and the passenger side grab handle :) and then I ran out of adhesive spray.

I did get some pictures on the fancy camera rather than my iPhone but I left it in the garage so I'll post them tomorrow :) 

:snack:

On 10/06/2020 at 19:57, ballistic said:

How difficult was wrapping the material? What kind of adhesive did you use? I havnt done it before so its a bit daunting :scare:

It wasnt too bad TBH, some bits are really fiddly and the more I've done the better I am getting at it :) I might strip off some of the bits I have already done and redo them once my new adhesive arrives,

This is the stuff I was using, its about 10 years old, so I am surprised its stuck :lol:

yvqEXsi.jpg

I've done both sides of the upper dash, I've got the lower dash partially done but need more spray. The centre console "waterfall" will be done in Carbon

72UkPXr.jpg

dlwAPxx.jpg

NntLihn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Few more bits done last week :)

Wrapped the lower dash pieces - absolute pain in the ass to wrap them, not 100% happy with the outcome so will redo them when I get more material

ha4wYqg.jpg

rQ5JiHX.jpg

Got the car ready to cook the Christmas Turkey ;) 

SlJqZQ5.jpg

Refitted the carpet and headliner today and trial fitted all of my suede covered pieces

5THefcR.jpg

REZzOWb.jpg

XdsXFbA.jpg

Its amazing how much darker the cabin is now with a black headliner.

I received my carbon fibre skinning kit today so tomorrow is carbon fibre trial day :)

I should be back in work next week so that should see the loosening of the purse strings a bit even though the wife has her eye on more home improvements :thumbdown:

• Haha 1