Thank You Human Resources

jumping350

As part of my job ive been doing a lot of travelling about lately...company says ok we will pay for your petrol with work related matters...great...(little did they know what car i drove) anyway sent in form thinking they will tell me to do one.....they signed it!! got a phone call today ...why did you rent a car to go to birmingham?? :lol::lol:

i explained it was mine and its clearly written on form and its been signed and approved..they were shocked i owned the car and a bit miffed why it cost £110 to go birmingham and back :lol::lol:

Looks like someone needs to read the forms first before filing :shrug:

Anyways too late now been approved so im set for a bit of petrol expenses for a year now :yahoo:

Brilliant!!!!

My missus`s company have just signed off on her getting a company car. Previously when ive had cars, the allowance was around £600 a month. Her allowance turns out to be £250 a month... which is really narrowing the field down a bit. Shame they dont pay for her fuel too.. she`ll just get a 12p a mile allowance after that.

I tend to get a hire car rather than driving mine as it's cheaper and I often end up driving in a field.

Are they just paying for petrol? I thought work travel was 45p per mile as it's supposed to cover wear and the increased cost of getting business miles cover on insurance. In these cars it covers petrol and a coffee at McDonalds rather than wear, but still a free coffee is nice.

I tend to get a hire car rather than driving mine as it's cheaper and I often end up driving in a field.

Are they just paying for petrol? I thought work travel was 45p per mile as it's supposed to cover wear and the increased cost of getting business miles cover on insurance. In these cars it covers petrol and a coffee at McDonalds rather than wear, but still a free coffee is nice.

Yeah sounds like the OP is actually getting a raw deal here. Most companies pay 40p (or 45p now I think it is like you say), per mile for the first X thousand miles of business travel. With my old diesel car which used to cost me 8p a mile to run, id make a nice bit of profit out of it. After the X thousand miles it goes down to 12p a mile, although I believe you can claim the difference back from the taxman?

I did work for one mega tight company once who would only pay for petrol used and I had to give them petrol receipts and stuff to prove it. That was purely because their finance team were worried that people might "make money" out of getting 45p a mile... sigh!

Inland rev guidelines are 45p per mile for first 10k miles (think it goes down to 12p permile after that - need to check tomorrow) - and you have to deduct home to base mileage and back each day

+1

I get 45p per mile and it coves my fuel and a few coffee's, burger's and a couple of beer's at the end :yahoo: ........ but then I expense those as well :lol:

Inland rev guidelines are 45p per mile for first 10k miles (think it goes down to 12p permile after that - need to check tomorrow) - and you have to deduct home to base mileage and back each day

+1

I get 45p per mile and it coves my fuel and a few coffee's, burger's and a couple of beer's at the end :yahoo: ........ but then I expense those as well :lol:

Pffft you can tell the ones that don't work in the public sector :lol: I'd get shot if I tried that :blink:

+1

Pffft you can tell the ones that don't work in the public sector :lol: I'd get shot if I tried that :blink:

I do draw the line at expensing a 20p cup of tea.... like one of our engineers :lol:

So if you got the 45p a mile that is required then why are you celebrating?

I'm confused!

+1 :surrender:

HMRC approved rates are 45p/mile for 10k miles and thereafter 25p/mile. Normally if you get a car allowance they will only pay 25p/mile for all travel as the wear and tear is paid for by the car allowance. I beleive you can claim the tax back on the difference between the company paid value and HMRC value. Note from what I remember you will not get back the actual money (ie if you are paid 35p, you wont get back 10p of every mile) but the tax on that value. For higher tax payers this works out quite well, but for lower rate, it doesnt always amount to much.

Am I allowed to get a hire car at my expense but still claim the 45p per mile?

For example for one trip the cost of the hire car was £120 all in (including fuel). The expense claim (45p mile) was £200.

Is this allowed? If not, it's a friend doing it, not me.

Should HMRC catch you, I think they would take a very dim view of it as you are fraudulently claiming expenses which you have not incurred.

Am I allowed to get a hire car at my expense but still claim the 45p per mile?

For example for one trip the cost of the hire car was £120 all in (including fuel). The expense claim (45p mile) was £200.

Is this allowed? If not, it's a friend doing it, not me.

No reason why you cant do this although your accounts section may frown on this. I did exactly this in the past. I worked out that it would be cheaper for me to hire a small car and use that for the business trip I had, rather than use my own car. The company I worked for was happy to pay 45p a mile, but my gf at the time dropped me in it by saying I had hired a car instead of using my own. As soon as they knew that, the accounts team refused to pay me the 45p a mile and only paid for the hire cost + petrol. As far as I was concerned it was none of the companies business if I used my own car, my brothers car or a hire car. I didnt think it made no difference to them at all as a company - but their accounts woman was very strict.

I didnt think it made no difference to them at all as a company - but their accounts woman was very strict.

AFAIK they (as a company) have to pay different rates of tax to HMRC depending on if they are paying your milage or if they are paying for you to rent a car. In the eyes of HMRC it will be two very different things and amount to claiming fraudulent expenses.

HMRC can be a pig. My Dad got hauled over the coals for his expenses. They made him pay back money for unreceipted taxis he took while visiting his base in Dubai. I don't know whether he took the taxis or not but I know he can't walk to the free zone from the marina! :lol::lol::lol:

It seems to be a grey area as I've checked the HMRC thing and the words can be interpreted to mean that it's fully OK. It does feel wrong though as I am making money from it (only done it once so far though).

The accounts department at my company consists of one woman who sits two desks away from me. I did use my company credit card to get a hire car and fuel and claim nothing but she had a moan that it was giving her extra work so I decided to do a Rambo (go it alone).