Need some help diagnosing breakdown

grizz

If there's nothing wrong with your block I would personally rebuild using your original engine as when your buying a second hand engine you really don't no what your getting with out stripping that down for inspection also .

If it comes down to you having to pay for it I would personally take the car out of Nissan and get someone else to build or replace it as Nissan are shockingly over priced for that work and am talking from experience as I have just had my engine rebuilt due to a similar experiance but had no warranty.

I managed to get the engine striped down , uprated engine internals fitted , bore's bored out ,engine refitted and set up for 3/4 of the price Nissan quoted .

But hope it does not come to that for you and you have a smooth repair

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post an update.

Been through the ringer a bit later with all the anxiety over the potential need to fork out for a new engine, but Nissan have just confirmed to me this morning that it was a mechanical failure, and a new engine is on its way from Japan, all covered under warranty. :clap:

Am hoping i will get some more technical info at some point, will post if anyone is interested.

Cheers again to all who posted in this thread, and hats off to Nissan for honouring the warranty!

• 1 month later...

Got my Z back with a spanking new engine on 30th Dec - best xmas present ever, wasn't expecting it until mid January.

Never really got a decent explanation of what happened to the old one, although they did tell me there were bits of piston in the sump when they took it apart.

Taking it very gently for a few hundred miles to run it in, although have to say it feels amazing to drive - very tight and responsive in terms of power. Mind you, I have been driving a fiat 500 courtesy car for 4 weeks, so it could just be that I have got too used to that!

Warranty ran out at end of December, so despite this being an unpleasant episode, I have actually been very very lucky indeed :yahoo:

Your new engine will have a period of warranty on it as well (just the engine obviously, as the car is now out of the original warranty). Did they give an indication of how long they cover it for now? I'd hope for a year at least as a standard warranty on new parts of that order supplied and fitted by the manufacturer. :shrug:

Anyway, great news, and let's hope it was a one off as I expect most of the HR's are now out of warranty, mine is :thumbdown: Can't remember if you mentioned it earlier, what was the mileage on the old one?

Got my Z back with a spanking new engine on 30th Dec - best xmas present ever, wasn't expecting it until mid January.

Never really got a decent explanation of what happened to the old one, although they did tell me there were bits of piston in the sump when they took it apart.

Taking it very gently for a few hundred miles to run it in, although have to say it feels amazing to drive - very tight and responsive in terms of power. Mind you, I have been driving a fiat 500 courtesy car for 4 weeks, so it could just be that I have got too used to that!

Warranty ran out at end of December, so despite this being an unpleasant episode, I have actually been very very lucky indeed :yahoo:

RESULT! Nice one :D

Your new engine will have a period of warranty on it as well (just the engine obviously, as the car is now out of the original warranty). Did they give an indication of how long they cover it for now? I'd hope for a year at least as a standard warranty on new parts of that order supplied and fitted by the manufacturer. :shrug:

Anyway, great news, and let's hope it was a one off as I expect most of the HR's are now out of warranty, mine is :thumbdown: Can't remember if you mentioned it earlier, what was the mileage on the old one?

I asked when I picked it up about warranty and they said there was no extension. I would have expected a year, and I would imagine if anything were to go wrong in the short term they would probably fix it as goodwill - after installing a brand new engine you couldnt really ignore it if something went wrong shortly afterward - presumably there would be some consumer right that would protect against that? To be honest I'm just so glad to have it back I am trying not to worry about that!

Mileage on the old engine was circa 29k.

I asked when I picked it up about warranty and they said there was no extension. I would have expected a year, and I would imagine if anything were to go wrong in the short term they would probably fix it as goodwill - after installing a brand new engine you couldnt really ignore it if something went wrong shortly afterward - presumably there would be some consumer right that would protect against that? To be honest I'm just so glad to have it back I am trying not to worry about that!

I would have thought there would be a years warranty with all Nissan approved parts, whther it is a spark plug or a whole engine. :shrug:

I would have thought there would be a years warranty with all Nissan approved parts, whther it is a spark plug or a whole engine. :shrug:

You only get a warranty with approved parts if you buy them. If a part was replaced under the original manufacturer warranty then that part is only covered until the original warranty period is over so if your engine is replaced under warranty and you only have 2 weeks remaining on your original warranty then your new engine will only have a 2 week warranty period, stupid but true