I didn't know....

Cholula

....that the Highway Code had been updated.

I always thought that when you approached a roundabout you were meant to give way to traffic coming from the right, however it seems that you just drive onto the roundabout, then stop in the middle and give way to traffic coming from the left, then wait for a space before you exit!! It also seems that your hazard lights aren't to be used for hazards, these are for parking!!! And long gone seems the "mirror/signal/manoeuvre", this has been replaced with a simultaneous manoeuvre/signal!!!

I am so stupid!! :doh:

I'm not going to drive in the meantime, not until I've walked to my nearest W H Smith to pick up the latest version of the Highway Code, just in case there is something else that I've missed.

of course its been updated.

you alos missed the update on lane choices for dual carriageways and motorways.

apparently on a dual carriage way you pull out to the right and stay there regardless of if your overtaking or not.

and on a motorway the optimal lane to sit in is the middle lane and people can then over and undertake around you. ;)

I'm not going to drive in the meantime, not until I've walked to my nearest W H Smith..... just in case there is something else that I've missed.

Ah, but that section has been changed as well. For instance, press the button at the crossing point and just walk out anyway, leaving road users stuck at a red light for an empty crossing. ;)

I'll be able to update you on everything about the highway code soon! Had to order "The Highway Code" to take with me to a 4 hour speed awareness course. JOY. I'm sure I'll drive back a new man.

Ahhh the speed awareness course. I was going to take this after being offered it until i found out that you still have to inform your insurance company, meaning they will still put your premium up and you have to pay £80 and spend a day being talked to like a child. Still if you need a clean license for a job it is worth it.

Rule 7.1 aggressive driving - no matter what the circumstances ensure you take an aggressive approach to reach your destination 3.5 seconds before anyone else. If that means flashing your lights or undertaking, or in severe cases swear, smash your horn into the steering wheel or generally wave offending hand signals is TOTALLY PERMITTED!!

Rule 7.2 Small Pen!s Syndrome; If you feel the driver ahead of you has a faster car, drive up their arse and flash your lights, undertake if necessary!

Rule 19 if you eat carrots it's perfectly  acceptable to drive your vehicle at night without your lights on, as you are special and can see perfectly in the dark, don't worry about other drivers seeing you!

Rule 16 If you are bored during your journey why not call a friend. Making telephone calls without a hands free kit is permitted, other road users may wave at you and in a jealous manor waving their own hand in the shape of a phone beside their own ear. Just ignore them!

Drove to Peterborough and back today...saw a whole load of stupid stuff, dont get me wrong I make mistakes, but they are errors, not stupid driving.

Hit a sudden downpour around 7pm on the way back, everyone slows down on the motorway, sensible, as soon as the rain passes people speed right back up again to 90 odd mph...rain landing on your car doesn't cause accidents, water on the road does and it doesn't just vanish the second the rain stops :doh:

Its also strongly advised in the highway code that if you are driving a lorry, which is speed limited, that if you wish to overtake another lorry that is going 0.00001mph slower than you, that you do it just as you approach a steep incline so that you occupy two out of three lanes for as long as possible and in some cases appear to go backwards.

BMWs have right of way on the outside lane of any motorway.

Driving three feet away from the car in front at 70mph in the rain is perfectly fine if you are in a van or people carrier because 'you are seated higher up and can see more' as your vehicle at 70mph has a stopping distance of just under three feet.

When motorbikes overtake on normal roads, its up to the car on the opposite side to move out of the way of the motorbike driving at it on the wrong side of the road.

I'll be able to update you on everything about the highway code soon! Had to order "The Highway Code" to take with me to a 4 hour speed awareness course. JOY. I'm sure I'll drive back a new man.

Ahhh the speed awareness course. I was going to take this after being offered it until i found out that you still have to inform your insurance company, meaning they will still put your premium up and you have to pay £80 and spend a day being talked to like a child. Still if you need a clean license for a job it is worth it.

Since when? I thought it was SP30 + £60 and you tell your insurers or you take the course and that's it unless you do it again within next 2-3 years.

you dont have to tell them so your premium doesnt go up.

The course was actually ok to my surprise, it wasnt condescending at all, but informative. I will admit, although highly sceptical of it, it did make a difference to the way I drive. I'm just a bit calmer in certain places now.

There is also a new rule around here, now that the use of mobile phones has been allegedly banned whilst at the wheel. It may just be in the local Yorkshire version of the Highway Code though.

It says that it's fine, if you come across your mate driving in the opposite direction, to stop your cars in the middle of the road, wind down your windows and have a chat for as long as you feel the need. B****x to anyone else who may be on the road, the right is with you.

The unwritten rule has also now been formally incorporated into print. Its the one that states that when 3 lanes of traffic need to be merged into 2, or 2 lanes into 1, maybe at roadworks, do not attempt to merge until your front bumper has actually made contact with the cones. It also offers advice on what reaction to take if you have been merged for some time and people using this new rule try to merge in front of your car!

Steve

Sorry for the late reply. I found out after contacting my insurer (Admiral) and they said that i still had to inform them and that it would likely affect my premium. I had a friend who's insurer said the said thing, i can't remember who he was with, i'll ask him when i see him at the weekend. But yeah i was a bit surprised myself as i thought the same thing, take the course and avoid the extra premium but it looked as thou that wasn't the case. Unless i was lied to by Admiral :angry: but i wouldn't say why they would?

Edit: Forgot to say the reason they said i had to inform them was because, irrelivent of whether i got points or not or the offer of the course, the fact remains that i still broke the Road traffic act therfore they had to be informed.

If approaching a roundabout where you wish to turn left, but there is a long queue of traffic in the left lane and an empty right lane, it's fine to use the right hand lane to drive all the way round the roundabout and then take the left turn. Ignore the fact that by doing this you are part of the reason why the left hand lane is getting so long in the first place.