How often..

richiep350

So I'm new to the 350 scene and after going out for my first drive last night i couldn't help but think that the ESP was ruining my drive :thumbdown: when ever i gave her a bit of throttle it felt like i was being limited and the ESP light kept flashing up. As I don't have much experience driving the 350 i don't want to turn it off just yet but I'm wondering, how many of you turn it off and how often?

Thanks

Rich

First thing to do is the check your tyres - hopefully all 4 corners are the same type, the right size, decent tread depth, same pressures (35psi when cold). The ZEDs are very sensitive about their shoes :thumbs:

If one or more of those are doubtful that is likely to be the problem, unless you are being so brutal on and off the throttle you are inducing excessive wheel spin ;)

Should not make that much difference having different front to back, as long as the pairs are the same.

What make and size do you have on front and rear? Also if they are new on the rear it may take a few miles to get rid of the release agent a bed them in.

I have falkens on, and the first few hundred miles made the car feel a bit skittish..... all good once bedded in

The front are Michelin bit I'm not 100% sure of the rears. Thanks a good point iv only done around 50 miles on the new rears so hopefully they will get better :)

So back to the whole ESP situation, is there ever any need to turn it of :shrug: il be leaving it on as id rather not spin out, but I'm confused on when you would ever need to turn it off? when it snows maybe?

The front are Michelin bit I'm not 100% sure of the rears. Thanks a good point iv only done around 50 miles on the new rears so hopefully they will get better :)

So back to the whole ESP situation, is there ever any need to turn it of :shrug: il be leaving it on as id rather not spin out, but I'm confused on when you would ever need to turn it off? when it snows maybe?

Tell us what size tyres you have on the front and the back. :)

If you have Michelin on th front (PS2's ?) they are a 'premium' tyre. I wouldn't mind betting the dealer has put budget (cheap) tyres on the rear. That is quite likely to be the issue, although as DoogyRev says the release agent on new tyres means they need a few hundred miles on them to offer their full grip potential.

Post up the rest of the details about your tyres as per my thread above ^^^^ to help us give you better opinions.

ok the rears are 18/245/45 Falken, no idea if these are budget :blush:

and the fronts are 18/225/45 Bridgestone Potenza RE040's again no idea..

hope this helps

There is your problem, IMO - the (worn) RE040's on the front - useless for decent grip - ideal for drifting and lighting up the dashboard.

Get a matching pair of Falkens (hopefully the 452's) on there and it will be a different and planted car.

I always turn mine off. Mainly because, when I first got the car, several times I'd 'nip' out of a junction only to have it cut in and leave me bogged down in front of approaching traffic. I'd much rather have a bit tyre chirp or , if I'm feeling playful, a bit of fish tailing than having it cut in as it is rather sensitive and very abrupt.

But having said all that, you have to judge your own driving skills as to whether you can drive with it off or not.

I always turn mine off. Mainly because, when I first got the car, several times I'd 'nip' out of a junction only to have it cut in and leave me bogged down in front of approaching traffic. I'd much rather have a bit tyre chirp or , if I'm feeling playful, a bit of fish tailing than having it cut in as it is rather sensitive and very abrupt.

But having said all that, you have to judge your own driving skills as to whether you can drive with it off or not.

i guess with experience its a more enjoyable drive with it off, think il wait until I'm use to how the 350 drives/reacts before i start playing lol

i guess with experience its a more enjoyable drive with it off, think il wait until I'm use to how the 350 drives/reacts before i start playing lol

Unless you're really trying, nothing happens too quick in the dry though in the wet it's very tail happy with only moderate throttle. I'm very 'mechanically sympathetic' and hate all this 'high revs, dump the clutch' stuff but can still have fun driving reservedly :D

Needed my ESP last night coming off a roundabout, greasy as get out on the roads round me at the moment, for a second i forgot myself (used to driving an idiot proof awd turbo) and was glad i had the computer to back up my handful of opposite to correct my lack of talent! :blush: Never got too scary but definitely woke me up. Im running goodyear eagle F1s at the minute. Id recommend keeping the ESP firmly on till you get a good feel for the car in different conditions. :thumbs:

If the Esp is that intrusive it might be worth getting a 4wheel alignment done once you get your new tyres, if the alignment is slightly out this can completely change the characteristics of the car

Thanks il keep that in mind :thumbs: and yea ESP is staying on for a while :drive1

ok the rears are 18/245/45 Falken, no idea if these are budget :blush:

and the fronts are 18/225/45 Bridgestone Potenza RE040's again no idea..

hope this helps

There is your problem, IMO - the (worn) RE040's on the front - useless for decent grip - ideal for drifting and lighting up the dashboard.

Get a matching pair of Falkens (hopefully the 452's) on there and it will be a different and planted car.

The re040's are very good tyres if you can get heat in them. Excellent warm day track tyres and very hard wearing.

The falkens are budget tyres but are reasonably good all round tyre. Wouldn't fancy getting too much heat into them as my guesses will be that they are similar to the Toyo t1r and melt easily.

As for traction control. Once you feel confident driving you can turn it off but be warned it will spin the wheels up very easily and you could end up sideways before you know it. In everyday road driving there is no reason to turn it off. If I'm out having a play then mines is usually off regardless of whether it's wet or dry.