Winter 4x4 help

Ruddles

At the start of 2011 you'll all remember the amount of snow that fell rendering the Zed an immovable object! :blush:

As there's talk of snow soon (whether or not we get covered we'll have to see!) I'm looking for a nice cheap as chips 4x4 'jeep-type-vehicle'!

After something that is small (suzuki jimny size-ish) and runs; those are the only prio's!

Any help welcomed ! :thumbs:

Nissan X-Trail, Kia sportage, Suzuki jimny, Isuzu Trooper, Freelander, Vitara, Toyota Rav4, Mitsubishi pajero, Honda CRV, vauxhall frontera.

All available cheap ish. Depends on budget.

Failing being able to get a 4x4, then something car oriented, but not sport car oriented with the right tyres on would be the next best thing I guess. Octavia 4x4, panda 4x4 etc.

Mind you the right tyres on a non 4x4 specific vehicle will be better than a Range Rover or Nissan Navara on 22" blinged wheels and PZero Rosso's :lol:

Thanks for the replies. It's generally only for work and to pop into town on the weekends and i only live 5 miles from both :D .

Looking at under £1000.

Was given a lift in a Daihatsu last year and even that was somewhat struggling to get up the hills (I live in a dip). No chance in a car!

Wrangler!!! I've owned several 4x4s - currently have a kia sorento (fantastic) and if I wanted something fun (and maybe a little cold) I'd have a Jeep wrangler. Prices vary a lot but buy wise and they don't seem to depreciate much.

Aside from that, owned a few fronties and found them great cars, one was the V6 and it got used off road quiet a bit. I changed to a disco Td5 IIRC and it was big but terrible handling and driving and sold it fast. The kia is a great car for the money, you have to watch her in snow because of RWD (=FUN) but stick her in 4x4 mode and she's fine. Mine is a 55 plate, though i'd be tempting for the 06 model onwards, even better engine. Look great done up as well and probably the nicest 4x4 I've owned to drive, very easy gearing.

EDIT - just seen your budget...hmm...frontie maybe, swb v6 would be fun and people avoiding the big engines so maybe grab a bargain.

I thought Rav's and Jimnys and alike were all petrol's? (in that price range anyway)

Don't you want diesel for a 4x4?

Only if you are going swimming in it!

At the budget price point you might as well go petrol as the fuel and servicing are normally cheaper.

Subaru Justy would be my call, unless you need the size of a jimmy etc. Based on the old Suzuki swift but has the subaru all wheel drive system. Should easily be under £1k I'd have thought.

I'm sticking with my impreza sport as a winter car. I've just got some brand new Goodyear Ultragrip 8 winter tyres which fitted and balanced will come out at less than £300.

Subaru Justy would be my call, unless you need the size of a jimmy etc. Based on the old Suzuki swift but has the subaru all wheel drive system. Should easily be under £1k I'd have thought.

I'm sticking with my impreza sport as a winter car. I've just got some brand new Goodyear Ultragrip 8 winter tyres which fitted and balanced will come out at less than £300.

OMG!!!

£500... what is WRONG with this motor?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

[edit]Ahhhh... read the description... "£2500 ovno" He has put the wrong price on the advert! :lol: [/edit]

How long are you planning on keeping this "winter vehicle for"....?

I own a landcruiser, and from prices I have seen for them you can get a good one for around 3k, and they will strongly hold there value once kept in good condition.

I'd probably get a freelander given the price range

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

I think I would hunt out an old Defender....... they dont dent easy, and if you do dent it..... :shrug:

Good luck for a grand :lol: the chassis will be rotten and it'll feel like a dog given the price bracket he's in. That said my brothers defender was awesome in the snow, my Quattro was too until it hit a curb sideways oops.

Daihatsu make good jeeps. In the grand price range you'll be scraping the barrel a little I think. I had a freelander and was alright. Nothing major wrong and my mate runs it now. If you can it's worth increasing your budget a little to really open up the options. Good tyres are an absolute must, that's 70% of the ability!