Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dies :(

Adrian@TORQEN

The world has had a big loss.

There are many people that love Apple products and there are many that hate them. Only something truly revolutionary can create so much passion in people.

A very innovative man that lead a company that has changed the way the world uses technology on a daily basis

As I know there are many Apple haters on her I request that you keep this thread respectful please.

Such a shame, but at least it shows that he kept with the company for as long as it was physically possible which can't be easy when your body is full of cancer. Anyone would think the stubborn git was hanging on just until the 4S launched too! :lol:

As a self-confessed technology freak, albeit one that was very late to the Apple party but threw himself into it head first, thanks for everything Steve.

Although I was never an Apple hardware fan, I appreciated his drive and determination to do things HIS way, and that even the most complicated technology should be able to seamlessly integrate with peoples lives.

He was an ideas man, and the best thing about ideas is that they last for ever. Computing is worse off without him.

Respect for his often-flawed perfectionism but not for his rabid following who claim he invented GUI-based computers, laptops, MP3 players, smartphones, tablets... Sorry, he just didn't.

No-one anywhere on the interweb that I can see has ever said that.

Thinking about this a bit more, would it be wrong to compare Job (and Gates for that matter) in the same breath as Bell, Turing etc? Granted, the physical invention of something is different from a software invention, but can we honestly say that they haven't revolutionised our lives too? I'm not sure if I'm pushing the connection there too much, but I can't find an argument against it either.

Not a great fan of apple tech if I'm honest, but I'm well aware that my android phone probably wouldn't be in my pocket right now if not for him. Oh and he bought PIXAR too, so there's a pretty good chance all the CGI movies like Toy Story etc, would never be so popular, if even exist!

Even if you didn't like the guy, he certainly pushed others towards doing better, and surely that's a good thing for everyone!

Respect for his often-flawed perfectionism but not for his rabid following who claim he invented GUI-based computers, laptops, MP3 players, smartphones, tablets... Sorry, he just didn't.

No-one anywhere on the interweb that I can see has ever said that.

Thinking about this a bit more, would it be wrong to compare Job (and Gates for that matter) in the same breath as Bell, Turing etc? Granted, the physical invention of something is different from a software invention, but can we honestly say that they haven't revolutionised our lives too? I'm not sure if I'm pushing the connection there too much, but I can't find an argument against it either.

I think the main strength of Steve and Apple was always to improve and find novel uses for what went before rather than pure invention. There were plenty of mp3 players before the ipod, just non that were as easy on the eye as they were to use.

Going back to the point of the thread and not arguing, point scoring or trying to look cleverer than anyone else....

A very sad loss not only to his family but to the whole Industry. Having beaten cancer myself I can safely say that to carry on as long as he did whilst in obvious pain showed his commitment to his beliefs.

Thinking about this a bit more, would it be wrong to compare Job (and Gates for that matter) in the same breath as Bell, Turing etc?

Jobs' contemporaries in the tech world have all (quite rightly) praised his abilities in business, marketing, leadership... None are throwing around words like "innovator" or "inventor":

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/bill-gates-leads-tributes-to-steve-jobs-1032067

Thinking about this a bit more, would it be wrong to compare Job (and Gates for that matter) in the same breath as Bell, Turing etc?

Jobs' contemporaries in the tech world have all (quite rightly) praised his abilities in business, marketing, leadership... None are throwing around words like "innovator" or "inventor":

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/bill-gates-leads-tributes-to-steve-jobs-1032067

Neither am I. I'm saying that he was as important to the development of current technology as the original inventors, just in a different way.

RIP Mr Jobs...I see him more of a doer than a thinker, sure other people might be considerd smarter, invented stuff before he did and are proper innovators but he was a doer, he spotted opportunity and went for it. People laughed at Apple when they launched a touch screen phone a few years ago - I do know that the apparent 'smart folk' at Nokia were laughing in the boardroom when Apple launched iPhone and said they were taking on the then world handset leaders. He took Apple computing from potential bankrupty to a global presence, never afraid to actually go and build something innovative and go for it whilst other 'smarter' philosophers sat on their hands.

No, he didn't invent things, instead he had the guts to put himself and his company on the line time and again when others wouldnt dare try. :thumbs:

Guys, please...

Adrian, you won't stop the narrow minded or those that just seem to want to show off that they know more than everyone else and cause arguments, sad thing is some are mods :thumbdown:

?

This thread is for respectful wishes towards the late Steve Jobs and his family. I feel that any 'Apple hating' or other issues should be directed towards another thread, you are free to question his work in another thread but here is not the place.

Guys, please...

Adrian, you won't stop the narrow minded or those that just seem to want to show off that they know more than everyone else and cause arguments, sad thing is some are mods :thumbdown:

?

Ok lrh & ekona :thumbs:

Just think its more appropriate to keep it respectful as the op said not an argument about what he was, what he stood for etc etc... Nevermind I will go back into my box :p