To shed or not?

Daryl

Iv just seen my ideal shed advertised for £1000. Its going to cost me over £600 for winter tyres. My tax is also due up at the end of the month,im aware thats only a few days. lol

Cant decide weather to shed it or Zed it this winter. Survived last year on my standard 18's with normal tyres,and when it was really bad,ie snow, i took the Mrs Swift Sport. The shed comes with enough MOT and Tax to last me this winter,so thats not an issue,plus being a smaller engine,will cost me less in fuel,and will be better equipped for the winter months.

Thoughts on this please.

Whats the insurance excess on the Zed?

Would you punt the shed after or keep running it?

What would the insurance be on the shed?

How bad a winter do you get where you are?

Excess is £350

I dont know the insurance on the Shed,but its group6.

Id probably keep the shed,as we have the space,and maybe use it as a run around to keep miles off the Zed. Currently doing a tank a week on the Zed,so the cut in fuel would be welcome.

Im in Brackley,near Banbury,and i have to get up 2 fairly steep long slopes to get up to my house.

Shed it, apart from the obvious cost if you bump it, let’s be honest they are not the best in the snow and ice.

Last year/ early this year the Zed we have was parked up whilst the snow and ice was around, largely due to the fact we couldn’t get it moving (forward anyway)

:scare:

Cheapest quote for insurance on the shed is £460,using a comparison site. Havnt called my insurance company yet,thats 3rd party F+T.

Maybe my insurance company could reduce my Zed cover,as itl be parked up,and replace it with my Shed cover. If i get a shed,i could also sell my standard Rays,and make some money back. Not to mention the fuel saving of around £50 a week for the next few months.

Just need to convince the Mrs now. :lol:

Cheapest quote for insurance on the shed is £460,using a comparison site. Havnt called my insurance company yet,thats 3rd party F+T.

Maybe my insurance company could reduce my Zed cover,as itl be parked up,and replace it with my Shed cover. If i get a shed,i could also sell my standard Rays,and make some money back. Not to mention the fuel saving of around £50 a week for the next few months.

You would like to think an insurance company out there recognized what you were doing and say 6 months full insurance on each car on the road and 6 months theft only for the 6 months off the road. Dates specified. Link that with 6 months tax for each car (sorn when off the road) and it should mean the overall running costs for both cars over a year would be little more, maybe less, than what you currently pay.

But I guess that is far too complicated for the Insurance companies computer systems to deal with :doh:

You would like to think an insurance company out there recognized what you were doing and say 6 months full insurance on each car on the road and 6 months theft only for the 6 months off the road. Dates specified. Link that with 6 months tax for each car (sorn when off the road) and it should mean the overall running costs for both cars over a year would be little more, maybe less, than what you currently pay.

But I guess that is far too complicated for the Insurance companies computer systems to deal with :doh:

Shedding insurance I like it. I'm only £800 for both cars and all mods declared anyway so can't really grumble too much.

I thought about this but gave up when i was getting quotes of 600-800 for a £600 shed, absolutely mad as thats way over the insurance i pay for my zed. 9 years ncb means nothing when you cant share it across cars.

Sky did say they would sort something out for me which is great but the mainstream insurance companies were crazy.

I thought about this but gave up when i was getting quotes of 600-800 for a £600 shed, absolutely mad as thats way over the insurance i pay for my zed. 9 years ncb means nothing when you cant share it across cars.

Sky did say they would sort something out for me which is great but the mainstream insurance companies were crazy.

I was in the same position, but there's no way I'd risk the Zed on the horrendous 40 mile B road trip to work.

Mind you, I didn't exactly buy a shed either, it's a 2007 diesel Grande Punto!

Insurance is what is screwing me up on a shed. As others have said, id love to have just a 2nd car for winter & maybe some weekday use. I do 500miles a week in my zed.

But all the insurance quotes I got, even so called "multi car policies" want about £500 to insure a "2nd car". Even when the 2nd car would be a sub £500 banger and I only want bare minimum insurance on it. Surely insurance companies would realise that if i am driving a £500 banger to work the risk on my zed having an accident whilst its parked up on my drive is drastically reduced and therefore they are actually benefiting!

When you then factor in the road tax on the 2nd car, MOT, maybe tyres... it all adds up, but for me the insurance is by far the deal breaking factor here.

The only way I could do it would be to physically take the zed off the road, transfer the insurance to a shed, cash the £450 road tax in, use the shed over winter, then swap them back when the weather picks up. But, that defeats the point really as id still like to use the zed if the weathers nice and there are only the odd few days when the weather is mega bad.

Surely the insurance company should take the highest risk vehicle and base a premium on that, then allow the driver to drive any car up-to the same risk value as the main car covered only as third party insurance for free. After all you can only drive 1 car at a time, and if the risk is only 3rd party on the other vehicle then they will never pay out if its nicked or crashed so no extra risk to them, in fact a much lower risk if the 2nd car is in fact a shed.