Engine Cover and Plenum

coldel

Those two bits stick out a mile when you open that bonnet...so what have you done with them?

I am wanting to do something to jazz them up a bit, is it easy to polish a plenum yourself? What would you use? Anyone done any good spray efforts on the engine cover? I saw a rising sun image on one once!

Ideas?

Yello,

I recently polished the plenum, It had been cleaned up so then I went to work.

I'd suggest the polishing kit from halfords and metal polish to finish up for a nice shine - coupled with an electric corded drill,

otherwise you will probably die trying! :lol:

I hand sanded down all halfords wet and dry to get to the polishing stage!

4 days, couple of hours a day.

Here you go Col, you can see my progress on here:-

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=48842&start=0

Powder coated the plenum after reading horror stories about how long it would take to polish the Plenum but I think Tarmac does an exchange polished Plenum. Sprayed my engine cover and throttle body too amongst loads of other bits too. Ricey made a pretty good job of his too B)

Hope this helps :)

You'll get the hang of it, I was a virtually a novice with a spray can a year ago but read up on some techniques and practised on some stuff that didn't matter and gradually got the hang of it, typically, after I'd finished most of it Husky posted a really good guide for spraying plastics, I think it's in the guide section somewhere :) Good luck with it and don't forget to post pix of your progress. B)

Super cheers Graham, am certainly of the mindset that I want to do as much as possible myself...as much as I want to change things on the car I actually want to learn how to do it as well. Am a trainee Ricey :lol:

I bought a spare plenum from a breaker (Paid £45 for it) though that was the cheapest I found, other prices were £60 and £70

Spent pretty much a full day polishing it with coarse flap wheel, then finer flap wheel, then sander and then small fine flap wheels - got it looking . . .well . . OK, but in the end took it to a local plating and polishiing company and paid them £35 for the machine polish.

See Tarmac's thread about the machine polish not getting into the recessed bolt holes, but faced with another 8+ hours just to get them done right, decided to live with it.

I discussed the chrome polish option with the plater and he said it was really difficult to get chrome to plate around recesses and holes, and he'd offer no guarantees on what it came out like.

I also discussed anodising it with Colour Anodising in Radcliff (Manchester) and they said they'd offer no guarantees as the variability of alloys in cast aluminium means it could come put patchy. . .

This is why I ended up living with the machine polish finish - and (in my opinion) it's still 500% better than the dull original.

Carbon Fibre engine cover - I bought mine from the USA as over here they all seem to be over £100 - from the USA mine was about £75 including the shipping over the pond.

post-5330-135011912717_thumb.jpg

I like the pictures of the powder coated ones, though, that seems a really good idea - especially if you colour match it. I saw a thread on here a while ago (Can't find it now) about someone who painted theirs purple. . . .sounds odd but their pictures also looked pretty good - so maybe painted plenum is a good way to go, especially if it saves all the labour of polishing!

Where did I get my plenum bolts - I made mine - but then I do have my own CNC engineering business. ! :thumbs:

[attachment=2]Plenum Bolts & Caps.jpg[/attachment]

Now comes the sales plug - because I also made all the other engine bay washers (because nobody else seemed to have Sunset Orange ones)

[attachment=1]Set of 30.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]M8 Csk Bolts & Washers.jpg[/attachment]

and now . . . . I make them, and Tarmac sells them, so - PM Tarmac if you want a set! :pmtarmac:

Oooops a bit late in catching up with this thread, clearly I need to have a chat with Tarmac. :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys really fancy doing this to my car... i thinking of going with the polished plenum chrome and then gun metal grey painted covers and sides.....

jim's post shows the water caps etc with the "z" on are they just basic replacement cover caps? are they universal to cars or specific to 350z's?

i am hoping this can all be done myself ? i mean rub down the plenum as much as i can then polish and chrome paint it? , the plastic caps just a matter of painting white first then the gun metal grey or do gun metal grey straight over the originals?