Steam cleaning engine bay

AmyZed

Hey,

its time to clean my bay- i bought my roadster a couple of months ago now, its safe to say the last owner never cleaned the bay !! its pretty filthy!

I have a good friend with a steam cleaner offering to clean it that way... i have done a bit of reading and seen some people on here say that the electrics may not work after!?

has anyone steam cleaned there Zeds bay? are there precautions i could take to ensure no damage could be done as a result? I dont think my friend would do it unless he was confident itll be ok, but then again maybe all the cars he has done have been safer to do!? i really dont know.... so any opinions would be good. Im happy to get in there with some cloths and product! but seriously its so dirty i feel it just needs it !!! and then ill keep it clean after!!

I presume we are talking the "home" type steam cleaner and not the industrial buggers.

I've not done the Zeds bay (I actually jet washed it this time because my steam cleaner broke) but I've done previous cars with no problems at all.

Personally I follow these rules.

Bag up anything that looks like trouble (IE Alarm sirens, Air filters if exposed etc etc)

dont douse water into any intake pipe/tract

dont spend half an hour rinsing for rinsing's sake.

With regards to the steam cleaning, Its actually pretty good because you use less water than jet washing and its also hot so great for cleaning out grime. I found it particularly good at cleaning electrical connectors although again you have to proceed with caution.

and if you can, always finish by blowing out with a compressed air gun, it minimises the problem of water sitting in places it shouldnt.

Once done, get the engine up to temperature to evaporate anything remaining and make sure everything is functioning ok.

cheers for that, i was just wanting to see if anyone would scream NOOOO DONT DO IT at me!!

:)

i shall note all the precautions down and hope for the best :)

I wouldn't...in my opinion it's too risky. My friend's car started misfiring after doing his. To be fair I don't think he protected the electrics properly.

When I first bought my car, my engine bay was not in good nick either. I used Autoglym Engine and Machine cleaner and Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care, the engine bay looks nice and clean now.

I just make sure I keep on top of it every couple of months.

cheers for that, i was just wanting to see if anyone would scream NOOOO DONT DO IT at me!!

:)

i shall note all the precautions down and hope for the best :)

I wouldn't...in my opinion it's too risky. My friend's car started misfiring after doing his. To be fair I don't think he protected the electrics properly.

When I first bought my car, my engine bay was not in good nick either. I used Autoglym Engine and Machine cleaner and Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care, the engine bay looks nice and clean now.

I just make sure I keep on top of it every couple of months.

I will ensure everythings covered over that should be... i might actually try clean it up myself- as you have ... ive read up on how, great step by step guides on here ive found... and if it comes out ok then i wont need to steam clean... ill see!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...