Looking to buy my first home - complete novice!

chrisgunton

Well it looks like I'm rather unexpectedly having to look at buying a place on my own.

My plans until earlier tonight was to move in with a good friend of mine as soon as the house was built. He would own it, and I'd be renting a room. It's been the plan for years. But tonight he told me he has asked his girlfriend to move in instead. I'm gutted. Mixed emotions at this point as it had been on the cards for so long and the house is only about a month away from being finished.

So as this is now not possible Ive decided I should really look at buying somewhere myself. I am 28, on "just about decent" money and it's time I got out from under my parents feet. I'd been holding out for the house to be built......but nevermind!

I'm looking at some one bedroom flats local to me. They advertise Shared Ownership and First Buy schemes. Can anyone shed any light on this and which would be the preferred one to go with for my first place.

I have a girlfriend who could possibly move in with me - however I would not want to buy a place together, and I'm very comfortable being on my own in a flat - I'd probably prefer it to be honest! So she is not likely to contribute towards the mortgage.

Any other tips for someone doing this for the first time? I've no idea what have the words and terms mean when browsing property sites!

I'm in the same boat. After a new build flat I was renting for 2 weeks or so was in a terrible state everyone had to move out (don't ask :rant:). My issue is as I am still within a probationary period in my job, no bank will give me a mortgage until I have completed it :yuck:.