To shed or not to shed....

chrisgunton

As winter is on it's way now I've been considering buying a 2nd car to use for the winter and keep the zed safe. Ive seen a Pug 306 2l Turbo Diesel up for £595 with 125k on the clock. It's well within my budget, local, and gets 50+mpg. It's due MOT and tax early in the new year.

My other reason for wanting a shed is I'm moving out in a few months time, so I'll be paying MUCH more rent and driving 12 miles to work each day.

I'd like to think that using the Pug as my daily will save wear and tear on the zed, plus save money on fuel, and I can reduce my annual mileage on the zed and save money on insurance.

Am I thinking straight? Good idea or bad idea?

Good idea, but can you afford to pay out 2 lots of MOT, insurance, tax, running 2 cars etc?

By the time you offset the initial cost of the shed, how long would it take you to re-coup that outlay by not using the Zed?

It may work out more expensive to buy a shed. Thats my 2p worth anyway.

Thats why I never did it and eventually sold mine. :blush:

I've got a Fiesta for a shed but it's not worked out how i wanted... i now only drive te Fiesta - my zed gets driven about once a month now.

It's nothing to do with money either... i've put my zed on a pedestal and treat it like it's too nice to drive now - i might as well sell the zed tbh... :thumbdown:

Buying a shed is always a bit hit and miss. You either end up with a great bargain that you just run into the ground or a money pit you regret ever having bought!!

From memory the 1.9 peugeot diesel engine is a good one with only potential problems being over heating or the head gasket, so if you are thinking of buying it make sure you get it up to temp and check fan kicks in etc.

I'm sure others on here will give you better advice on what to check for.

Well I have budgeted £1000, as Lloyds refunded me PPI recently. With this Pug I can buy the car and get insured with money to spare. The Tax and MOT aren't due till next year. I think keeping the Zed off the roads during the bad weather is worth it - plus keeping miles and stone chips to a minimum.

I have a good mechanic friend for when things go wrong - and if they do I have the Zed as a backup.

Hoping to go and have a good look at it this week.

I used to have a shed which I used on my daily commute to work alongside my BMW 330ci M sport. I ended up exactly how Marzman explained, the BMW became too 'nice' to drive and I ended up hardly using it! It came to a point where I only used it to go for a 'round the block' drive solely for pleasure. Due to the lack of spare time, I never had the chance to take it out!

I also fell into the trap of not treating the shed an actual 'shed'. I started off with an old L reg starlet which I got bored with. Then I upgraded to a BMW 318Ti compact which felt under-powered. Then I bought a Toyota MR2 GT, now that completely defeats the object of having a 'shed' as a second car.

I then realised it just was not worth having a shed at all as I was clearly worse off and decided to drive the 330ci everywhere. The savings of not running a shed on the side would cover the expenses of fuel, depreciation, wear and tear etc.

I decided to sell the MR2 (which I made a nice profit on) and just had one car. To reward myself for seeing sense, a few months later I got rid of the 330ci and treated myself to the Zed :)

I've learnt that having a shed makes you more and more insecure to take the Zed out (or your actual car) as the shed will make you feel the true value of your 'proper' car. You'll ask yourself, why shall I risk taking the car out when I have a shed I could use and risk?

I may get shot down for this, but really don't see the point of having a shed unless you need four seats or do hyper mileage. The Zed is great car but its no fezza or lambo, its a cheap fun Japanese sports car. If you plan to keep it forever and in pristine condition then fair enough, buy for the rest of us just drive it as much as possible and enjoy it!

I considered getting a "shed" after I had a Nismo replica kit put on my Z. At the time I was also doing spening nearly 2hrs a day commuting to work. I tried driving my wife's Civic and my Dads Mazda 6 just to see what it was like but hated it. Whats the point of paying all that insurance/road tax/servicing on a lovely car like the Z and not even bother driving it. B)

I may get shot down for this, but really don't see the point of having a shed unless you need four seats or do hyper mileage. The Zed is great car but its no fezza or lambo, its a cheap fun Japanese sports car. If you plan to keep it forever and in pristine condition then fair enough, buy for the rest of us just drive it as much as possible and enjoy it!

+1 I got the 350 as it was decent on fuel no turbo etc etc. Otherwise I would have got something a bit mental if I was a sunday driver. :thumbs:

Whats the point of paying all that insurance/road tax/servicing on a lovely car like the Z and not even bother driving it. B)

That's the problem - my commute to work is sub 50mph in traffic - it's not really driving it.

in that case you really shouldnt have a 300bhp car as you will constantly be breaking the speedlimit no?

I like the z because of the way it makes me feel when driving it. There is one bit where I can go from 30 to 70 and thats enough for me :lol:.

Whats the point of paying all that insurance/road tax/servicing on a lovely car like the Z and not even bother driving it. B)

That's the problem - my commute to work is sub 50mph in traffic - it's not really driving it.

in that case you really shouldnt have a 300bhp car as you will constantly be breaking the speedlimit no?

The limit is due to traffic :) not the law.

Shedding is actually alright. Saves a lot of mileage and wear and tear on the Z and I enjoy it just as much if not more when I drive the Z. Oh, and my Z has been with me since brand new, so that's over 7.5 years now, and plan to have it a lotttttt longer. Pity not to drive every day, but like most, we have our reasons.

Shedding isn't bad, as you can park anywhere too, without worrying about coming back to door dings and general carpark rash. :scare::thumbs:

So basically your Z becomes a club type car, it isn't all bad, if that's a viable option for you. :thumbs:

It's nothing to do with money either... i've put my zed on a pedestal and treat it like it's too nice to drive now

Probably quite a few of us guilty of that, but it could be worse. Better than being a totally abused wreck that looks like it's ready to go to the wreckers. :surrender:

What Marzman and the others have said is spot on. Unless it's actually going to save you some decent money or you live somewhere you won't get the car out of in winter then I wouldn't bother. 12 miles to work is not really that far. I have a 60 mile round trip every day to work which I do now 99% of the time in an old diesel clio because it costs about a third of what it does in the zed. I don't get about in the zed much on weekends or in fact hardly ever nowadays which is just making me feel like selling it! If money was no object I would just drive it every day, that's what it's there for and as said earlier - it's not a supercar it's a nissan. I would do your sums carefully before you decide. :thumbs:

I do agree with the above reasons for not getting one, but we couldn't be without ours. We have a Pug as a shed (307 Turbo Diesel), mainly for my OH to get to work and the gym (and to come to mine) etc. as the Supra can't be left anywhere without idiots interfering with it and it also saves a lot of money in fuel (even though he is now planning on getting a bike as well!), the weekly shop also doesn't fit in the boot of the Zed or the Supra. The Zed is my only car but still only gets used once a week (I get trains to work), they are our toys and we want to keep mileage down, the Supra is a show car and eventually the Zed will be going the same way.

I think it just depends on how much money it is going to save you at the end of the day, but I like poodling around in the Pug to then go out and blow the cobwebs away in the Zed, its a totally different drive and I don't think I'd have so much fun in it if I was driving it all the time.

I've had two cars for a couple of years now - ones a 1.2 Corsa I paid £900 on and have spent maybe £400 on parts and then MOT and tax etc... others have been 'fun' cars - Aristo, MX5 (which sold last night!) and now hopefully onto a Zed. The Corsa / shed is useful as it costs about £500 a year to keep on the road (Ins, tax, MOT) so not worth selling. If anything major goes wrong with it it will get scrapped and is good for having four seats and moving stuff around that I can just shove in the back and not worry about scratching interior etc. And then when i drive the fun car it's a treat!

John, what did the MX5 go for in the end? I'll have to stalk the new owner now to see what he does to it!

The Pug I was looking at has sold :(

Looking for something similar still, if anything I need one for the bad weather (I live in a semi-remote area, and moving to a worse one)

Shedding is actually alright. Saves a lot of mileage and wear and tear on the Z and I enjoy it just as much if not more when I drive the Z. Oh, and my Z has been with me since brand new, so that's over 7.5 years now, and plan to have it a lotttttt longer. Pity not to drive every day, but like most, we have our reasons.

Shedding isn't bad, as you can park anywhere too, without worrying about coming back to door dings and general carpark rash. :scare::thumbs:

So basically your Z becomes a club type car, it isn't all bad, if that's a viable option for you. :thumbs:

Plus you can get some great bargains too, on cars you wouldn’t normally even look at!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/bentley/postcode/ts185pu/radius/1501/price-to/500/sort/priceasc

:lol::lol:

FWD OR 4X4 sheds are great for winter drivers as it doesnt matter if you bounce them up curbs etc. :thumbs:

Remember sheds need love too so if you buy a bad one it could cost you or you have to scrap it and start again. Even though it's a cheap shed make sure you check over it properly :thumbs: