Man Utd 8 - 2 Arsenal

HassanZ

As a Man Utd fan, I just cannot believe the manner in which they destroyed Arsenal (even though Arsenal may not have had their full team on). We could not have asked for a better time to play a run of difficult fixtures given the unstoppable form they are currently in.

On the other hand, Man City look just as ruthless as us. I reckon they will be serious contenders for the Barclays Premiership title this season. It's fascinating how they've developed into title contenders so quickly, even though it was all done through their infinite amount of financial resources and sheer spending power.

Do you think anybody else would fight for the title and what positions do you think teams will finish?

Discuss....

The worrying part is that they also had players like Walcott, RvP, Rosicky and Arshavin on the pitch who aren't exactly kids any more! Made me laugh this morning watching an interview with Wenger who said that they are just about to sign another striker so don't panic :lol: Someone really needs to tell him that it's a back four and a midfield who can hold onto the ball that he could do with more than anything. Paul Merson in the TV box after the game was absolutely livid with rage, and rightly so. Speaking of pundits, that was the first time I'd seen Gary Neville in his new role and I have to say that he was excellent, as despite him obviously having a Utd bias (and fair enough too) it didn't come through in the slightest, and his commentary was both informed and fair.

Tbh this title is as good as Utd's again. City will fall away once the pressure of playing in the CL hits home, especially if they make the final stages, and Chelsea still don't seem the powerhouse they should be and I suspect it'll take AVB a while to gel the team how he wants it. Whether he gets the time or not is another matter. Liverpool look strong and are playing well but I'm not sure what will happen once/if Suarez gets injured: He could be their next Gerrard in both quality and talisman.

There was a thread on here somewhere I commented that Man City's Dzeko was set to start really playing this season - I was ridiculed :lol:

Liverpool playing well but are just a couple of players getting injured away from a Europa placing team - I just don't see them having the depth in strength. I am thinking more its going to be a Manchester 1-2 although would prefer if it was City.

More importantly, West Ham winning again ;) I have to say I much more enjoy us playing in the championship, its probably about our level at the moment.

Saw the Redknapp interview as well, god that man knows how to talk garbage when required. I know I will be accused of bias but when a commentator asks for his opinion on the game and he just rants about the press unsettling Modric as the reason they lost and nothing else...I smiled to myself as that's exactly what Spurs did to Scott Parker all last season.

It must be North London Denial Syndrome :lol:

There was a thread on here somewhere I commented that Man City's Dzeko was set to start really playing this season - I was ridiculed :lol:

Liverpool playing well but are just a couple of players getting injured away from a Europa placing team - I just don't see them having the depth in strength. I am thinking more its going to be a Manchester 1-2 although would prefer if it was City.

More importantly, West Ham winning again ;) I have to say I much more enjoy us playing in the championship, its probably about our level at the moment.

Saw the Redknapp interview as well, god that man knows how to talk garbage when required. I know I will be accused of bias but when a commentator asks for his opinion on the game and he just rants about the press unsettling Modric as the reason they lost and nothing else...I smiled to myself as that's exactly what Spurs did to Scott Parker all last season.

imo opinion i think its too early to be saying that utd have got the premiership in the bag already, remember chelsea last season they were winning all their games 4 or 5 nil at the start of the season and picked up a massive lead to then go and blow it.

no question fergie wont let that happen but you never know how many injuries they may get.

anyway being a rovers fan im not at all interested at the top of the table. :headhurt:

I deliberatly didnt wear my shirt to the pub yesterday as saw this coming as have many of my fellow gooners and tbh it is what most of us were kind of hoping for as its the only way that the AKB brigade will finally realise Wenger needs to go and has needed to go for a while. I fear for our club as our form since the back end of last season is relegation form and dont say it couldnt happen as yesterday says differently.

The niavety of Wengers tactical decisions based on the available players (also wengers fault) and the shambles of the summer transfers is half the reason for yesterday. We were short last season this year we are a shadow of even that side. Wengers solution....................buy a 3million quid korean (ok by all accounts quite a good one but come on seriously?).

I have never hated anyone so much as I hate that smug french t@&%.

The Arsenal situation is a strange one, Wenger has been sensational for Arsenal in the past and certainly an improvement on many manager before him. I wonder how much is going on behind the scenes, certainly since the stadium move the club has not really spent as much as it should have. If you did replace Wenger who would you bring in? Mourinho wouldn't do the job I don't think, he wants a top two club or a country job. Outside him there are very few candidates I can think of - it would be interesting to see if any new manager suddenly splashed the cash or whether they were equally tight.

I deliberatly didnt wear my shirt to the pub yesterday as saw this coming as have many of my fellow gooners and tbh it is what most of us were kind of hoping for as its the only way that the AKB brigade will finally realise Wenger needs to go and has needed to go for a while. I fear for our club as our form since the back end of last season is relegation form and dont say it couldnt happen as yesterday says differently.

The niavety of Wengers tactical decisions based on the available players (also wengers fault) and the shambles of the summer transfers is half the reason for yesterday. We were short last season this year we are a shadow of even that side. Wengers solution....................buy a 3million quid korean (ok by all accounts quite a good one but come on seriously?).

I have never hated anyone so much as I hate that smug french t@&%.

Pathetic comment. :thumbdown:

Wenger has taken the club (1996) from a position where they were similar to say, Aston Villa (tatty stadium, won a few cups, best years behind them) to a team that between 2001-2006 were quite simply one of the greatest ever seen. I rated those teams he put together as only bettered by the Gullit-era 1990s AC Milan and the current Barcelona team.

The beauty of the play over the last 10 years has made me cry with joy on occasions. I kid you not.

He has been a genius spotter of talent (Henry, Pires, Viera, Fabregas, Nasri, Anelka) and sold these players for astronomical profit which has resulted in a fantastic stadium, London Colney training ground and an envious bank balance.

Yes, on Sunday he should have played 5 across midfield but I suspect he has already conceded that we won't compete this season and deliberately lost to force the board's hand. Don't forget Wenger does not buy players, they do.

You should be ashamed of yourself for "hating" a great manager who has given me (and countless others) fantasytic pleasure for 15 years.

Wenger has lost the plot, and he has absolutely no idea how to coordinate a defence. (Do we even have a defence coach anymore? Personally I think he just sits them down in front of one of those plastic free kick walls with 'defence coach' written on it...)

He still has a knack of buying young attacking talent, but when you are useless at the back it's no good! You can score 4 against Newcastle, but then Newcastle can just score 4 back, so what use is the attacking talent? You've got to remember, the glory days came not only as a result of the attacking players and football style that Wenger brought, but also because he had the famous back four behind him. Once we lost Martin Keown that was it. Campbell was the last defender we had that could actually control and coordinate the defence properly. After Keown, Wenger has shown clearly that he has no idea about defensive football. And trying to outscore the other team doesn't work with a s*** defence. Even Barca know that they need to spend money to stay solid at the back, even if they can go forward and score 10 goals.

Now, he's TRIED to bring in good defenders, but he still refuses to buy any players with any experience because of his ridiculous age policy. For a defender to have adequate experience to solidify the Arsenal back four, you need someone over or nearly 30 who has played in a top league for a while. And THEN you need a good defence coach and manager who knows how to organise them properly. Wenger tried.. although Vermaelen and Koscielny weren't exactly as experienced as we really need.. Squillaci is, but I don't think he was ever good enough to be an Arsenal centre back. Don't even mention sodding Djourou. Liverpool have got Carragher, United have Ferdinand and Chelsea have Terry. Arsenal have those 4 clowns...

If you don't want to hate on Wenger (even though it's surely his stubborn fault, the board would be happy to spend on certain players..) then it MUST be the backroom staff. I mean who the hell is Boro Primorac?

Maybe when Dennis Bergkamp is finished at Ajax he can come and help out :yahoo:

Arsenal till I die though. I would LOVE to see us being successful again, but I'd still support us even if we were in the Ryman League. United fans make me laugh.. don't think I've ever met one who actually has any connection to Manchester! What's also funny is how Spurs and Arsenal are basically the same teams with exactly the same problems these days.

I have to say I generally agree...that said, who would Wenger buy at the moment? Not many clubs letting decent experienced defenders go easily. Arsenal have no serious transfer budget so can't force a move on any top drawer defender.

Samba? I'm pretty sure he's after a move to a bigger club, and he's one hell of a beast. I thought he wasn't even getting played at the moment because he wants to move..

Him + Vermaelen would be good I reckon. Samba has been doing well in the PL for a looonngggg time. Would be no good without someone decent to replace Sagna and Clichy though. Sagna is just terrible in so many ways.

By the way.. have a watch of this, the guy's voice is quite annoying, but the verses are awesome and the way he gets the line so close to the original song is brilliant!

Both just a pair of lumps really, one a bit quicker than the other thats all!

But just goes to show, there really is naff all about defensively, when you look that Manyoo had to fork out nearly £20m for a young defender. There is a dearth of quality defenders in the premier league at the moment - all the defensive line ups of the premier league teams at the weekend I would say are poorer than they were say 3 or 4 years ago.

I still think Arsenal will finish Top 6, Liverpool made a much worse start last season and still ended up in 7th place, although they didn't really lose any games by big margins. The problem at Arsenal is that they haven't replaced (or been able to replace) some of the great players they had in the early to mid 2000's. They also have a strict salary policy so they just aren't going to attract the big name players they need to compete with the big 3 clubs who seem to have infinite resources. The gulf between the have's and the have not's has sadly never been bigger so predicting the teams who will challenge for title and Champions league places has become pretty easy. The EPL is starting to look like The Scottish premier league where just 2 clubs win 95% of the trophies :shrug:

Pete

The inception of the premier league itself made sure that the league will only ever be won by a small handful of clubs. Throwing a tonne of money at clubs who as they succeed get richer and as you fail the fall is further. Since the premier league started twenty years ago only three clubs have won it (plus Blackburn once) - in the previous twenty years to that the football championship was won by seven different clubs.

The money in the game makes sure that the winning clubs stay winning, it generally takes gross mismanagement to have a club drop away. Unless you have a billionaire with enough patience come along it will be the same teams winning it. Even look at the ridiculous sums of money the likes of Liverpool and Spurs have spent over the years but have failed to crack the top two placing consistently.

Captain first and foremost a couple of things :-

Firstly .Tatty stadium...... Highbury will always have a very special place in any true Arsenal fans heart.......Pathetic comment.

Secondly won a few cups? Have you not looked at Arsenals history pre wenger......... Pathetic uninformed comment.

Thirdly He has been a genius spotter of talent .....Grimandi,stepanovs,almunia,90% of the current squad and theres a whole host more....

Fourthly. True arsenal fans couldnt give a rats backside about "an envious bank balance" the purpose of a football club isnt to win trophies for share dividends etc its to win trophies.

and lastly I love Arsenal football club and have been going to Arsenal since I was eight and Im now touching 40. Arsene Wenger is NOT Arsenal and is definately NOT bigger than the football club.

Just for your information Captain Sundays result was our worst result for 114 years this after we sell 6 players (2 of which are our best midfielders) and sign a bunch of kids and you think thats acceptable? Are you Ivan or silent Stan? Seems to me your main interest is in the profits made from the club not success?

I think like any manager there will be good and bad buys. Wenger signed Henry plus a whole host of other players who did well, as well as a bunch of shoddy ones too. As much as we all accept Alex Ferguson is a great manager he still shelled out probably a hundred million on tosh like Veron, Forlan (who admittedly has gone on to play well) Djemba Djemba etc I am pretty sure a lot of these transfer decisions are made by groups of stakeholders anyway, the scouts putting in their advisory reports, the manager, advice within football circles, the board.

I think the bank balance thing is double edged, any club in Arsenals position financially are being looked on enviously. My club West Ham threw tonnes of money at players and it took us from a manageable debt of £24m to over £100m in just two years followed by relegation and the club is so close to administration you wouldn't believe it. Personally I would rather support a club who don't succeed vs one that does but carries a huge level of debt. That said, Man Utd sit something like £750m in debt but I am sure that is overlooked by the cheering fans as £30m Rooney and co score goals and win games.

I am guessing, but Wenger is a smart guy, probably a lot more clued into football than most. In 2015 we will start to feel the impact of the new financial regulations around clubs operating in debt. Chelsea have already started to try and get around it by reshuffling their £1b worth of loans to Abramovich but I suspect that loop hole will have been closed by then. City, Chelsea both have a lot of work to do financially to sort themselves out which will involve a huge cull in players and trimming of the wage bill - Arsenal wont have that problem, in fact they will be in prime position to sweep up a lot of the top players that Chelsea and co wont be able allowed to pay ridiculous wages to anymore.

In 2015 we will start to feel the impact of the new financial regulations around clubs operating in debt. Chelsea have already started to try and get around it by reshuffling their £1b worth of loans to Abramovich but I suspect that loop hole will have been closed by then. City, Chelsea both have a lot of work to do financially to sort themselves out which will involve a huge cull in players and trimming of the wage bill - Arsenal wont have that problem, in fact they will be in prime position to sweep up a lot of the top players that Chelsea and co wont be able allowed to pay ridiculous wages to anymore.

That'll be quite difficult to do from the Championship ;)

Wenger is a great manager and has had some great success, but the truth is his Plan A is no longer working and there is no Plan B. He's picked up some great players and some true duffers, but then so has every single manager ever. The sad thing is though that Arsenal might as well stick with him as there's no-one else out there, unless O'Neill feels like giving it a go. Man Utd's debt is completely manageable as long as they stay successful, and the same is true with Barca and Real. I'm a Leeds man so no-one knows the pain of mismanagement of finances more than me and my club, but I wouldn't have traded those glory days in Europe playing some fantastic football for anything.

I was going to cite Leeds but didn't want to out of sympathy - I actually enjoyed Leeds rise with Ferdinand at the centre of defence, but then was amazed to find out that they actually had no money and it was all based on future funding from the champions league.

Man Utds debt is bizarre, the whole purchase is leveraged against the value of the stadium and the training facilities. I'm no accountant but it can't be that easy or that safe to do so - come sale time I would be quite concerned how much Man Utd as a club will actually own of its own property.

Surprised Ambramovich is still around though, thought he would have gotten bored by now. I suspect though that if they win the champions league he will drift away?

In 2015 we will start to feel the impact of the new financial regulations around clubs operating in debt. Chelsea have already started to try and get around it by reshuffling their £1b worth of loans to Abramovich but I suspect that loop hole will have been closed by then. City, Chelsea both have a lot of work to do financially to sort themselves out which will involve a huge cull in players and trimming of the wage bill - Arsenal wont have that problem, in fact they will be in prime position to sweep up a lot of the top players that Chelsea and co wont be able allowed to pay ridiculous wages to anymore.

That'll be quite difficult to do from the Championship ;)

Wenger is a great manager and has had some great success, but the truth is his Plan A is no longer working and there is no Plan B. He's picked up some great players and some true duffers, but then so has every single manager ever. The sad thing is though that Arsenal might as well stick with him as there's no-one else out there, unless O'Neill feels like giving it a go. Man Utd's debt is completely manageable as long as they stay successful, and the same is true with Barca and Real. I'm a Leeds man so no-one knows the pain of mismanagement of finances more than me and my club, but I wouldn't have traded those glory days in Europe playing some fantastic football for anything.

Two words - Peter Ridsdale :dry:

Not content with ruining Leeds, he then attempted to come and ruin Cardiff :thumbdown: