ARRRRGH! which shed?

kevlo

This one is a little more expensive.... If I had sold my Zed already I would have been to see this by now

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410971347

Mr Rev. I think that Toyota is the find of the day bullet proof engine and a good bit of luxury too

You can buy an awful lot of petrol for £880

at least two tanks :lol:

160K is barely run in!

For sub 1K does it matter what fuel it runs? it'll probably not be a modern diesel, so if it gets modern mpg, it'll be dog slow - like the old Peugot 406s. Will also cost more to service too. That hondas much better, change the oil once or twice a year, new plugs and belts occasionally, and run it into the ground! :lol:

This one is a little more expensive.... If I had sold my Zed already I would have been to see this by now

Mr Rev. I think that Toyota is the find of the day bullet proof engine and a good bit of luxury too

Toyota? I see a volvo when I open the link?

God damn it! I ment to quote the top one for £120

Sorry having a poo day :headhurt:

Have a look at my 1st post of two :thumbs:

Even for £120, just run it till it dies, dont bother with servicing. Bargains , Bargains everywhere :yahoo:

You can get a decent mk4 Gold for about 1500, good economy and quick! 60 mpg!

You certainly can. I sold my mk4 golf tdi a few months back for around the 2k mark.

I really wanted to keep it to use in the week to reduce the mileage i`ll be putting on the zed, but the insurance was the deciding factor which forced me to sell it.

In my case, the insurance company wanted £500 to insure it as a second vehicle. Running costs, the golf was costing me £10 a day less than the zed on fuel, so thats £200 a month id save.

Tax on the golf was £230, tyres lasted 40k miles, servicing was £100 a year, £50 a year for MOT. And there would be around £500 a year depreciation on the car.

So costs of running a mk4 golf as a shed, excluding the purchase price, would have cost me nearly £1500 per year. Id save around £200 a month on fuel, so it would take 8 months before id actually break even. And should a big bill come in on the golf like a cambelt or clutch then that would add £400 to the annual cost, meaning id only actually save £400 a year, so for me it was hardly worth it.

I did consider getting something even cheaper, but again, the insurance is the killer.

I've had a clio 1.9 diesel Y reg for the last 8 months. It was for sale for 1200 and i got it for a grand. It looks and drives perfectly ok. It has one issue which doesn't affect me in that it's a four door and the back doors won't open! I can't be bothered to sort it as there's only ever me in it! It has saved me a fortune in fuel on my commute and it's been really reliable so far (touch wood) I get about 500 miles to a £55 tank and it's just passed its mot with very little needing doing. I was worried about French but i would recommend one of these now i've owned one.

im sorry im being a pain in the arse. im so confused. i must have changed my mind 7 times today and i have spent the last 5 hours searching.

ive gone from

about £1000 vw passat 1.9tdi (insurance expensive)

about £500 vauxhall corsa 1.0 petrol (less safe and cant claim back any of the fuel through work cos its petrol)

about £1000 vw golf 1.9tdi (to get a decent one its above my budget....still an option)

about £1000 focus 1.8 diesel (same as above with golf)

about £1000 clio 1.9 diesel (french..still unsure and new ones are top of my budget)

about £500 old clio 1.9 diesel (french..still unsure and very old 93-96 my)

oooooohhh the choices its doing my head in.

• 2 months later...

i thought i would update the thread after everybody helped me and i was so indecisive.

I ended up buying a Renault Clio 02 plate 1.5 diesel. really didnt want to go french due to reliability worries but i have got AA breakdown repair cover on it so any bills they will pay the first £500 anyway.

The thing that made my mind up was the running costs. 60mpg, £30 for 12 months tax and very low insurance (£450 for the year with no no claims discount)

Always a reliable engine mate, these lumps go on for yonks and yonks. Obviously with regular servicing and belt changes......We had one for a while, and it did the job and as you say the MPG is fab.

Then it got stolen.......There-in-lies another story.... :snack:

you think your going to get reliability for under a grand :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bought a diesel Peugeot shed in August 2010 for the winter with 137,000 miles on the clock. It cost me £350 with a full year MOT and tax. Here we are 14 months later and I still have it for the coming winter - never given me announce of bother!

you think your going to get reliability for under a grand :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bought a diesel Peugeot shed in August 2010 for the winter with 137,000 miles on the clock. It cost me £350 with a full year MOT and tax. Here we are 14 months later and I still have it for the coming winter - never given me announce of bother!

Peugeot and Renault diesels were awarded very well in magazines years back.

Your Peugeot is a beast. Needs chrome spinner wheel trims to be a real shed though.

German = Massive repair bills if they go wrong

French of that age = will probably break

I would look at Japanese saloons from around 1999/2000 - my old Mazda 626 2.0 petrol from 1998 has never had anything break in 10 years of my/my dad's ownership apart from a manifold gasket (£100 fix) and does 40mpg, and you can pick one up for about £600. Parts are peanuts as is insurance.