Tyre sizes and rubbing?

Ruddles

Quick question to anyone who has come across this or may have a bit of knowledge they'd like to pass on.

I'm unsure of what tyre size to get for 19" 9.5 & 10.5 et12 both.

Initially I thought 245/35 and 275/35 would be fine, but recently have been swayed toward 255/35 and 285/35 as a better option, any thoughts on size and make, I'm looking at lower down the scale, Falkens, Vreds, Toyo's (might be too much)?

I should mention it's just a daily driver.

Secondly, I'm lowered 25mm, will I definitely have to roll the rear arches or might I get away with it?

Cheers! :thumbs:

I am running a 9.5J rim at the rear with a offset of E15. I am running 285 35 19 Pirreli tyres on it and it does occasionally rub but I am not lowered, so I can definitely say that it will touch/rub with 285's, maybe even 275's but this also depends on your choice on tyre. You might even need to put some camber on the wheels to get away with it but I am not sure.

Got any pics of these wheels? :teeth:

• 1 month later...

Hi folks

Had a bit of a wasted day today and pi**ed off my local tyre company.

I have a 2009 350Z with stock 18" rays and the standard 245/45/18 on the rear and 225/45/18 on the front.

bridgestone pretenzas.

Anyway i wanted some more rubber on the road and I have seen people put there 245/45/18 rears on the front

and 275/35/18 on the rear or so I thought.

Drove out of the tyre fitters with the combination as stated above and seemed fine round corners. But as i accelerated over 25 mph

the yellow warning for slippery surface came up and the car refused to go over 28mph. It went into safe mode l suppose.

At 1st l thought It was the fronts rubbing. Anyway we went back and it was obvious if i lost drive it had to be the rear. So we put the car back to stock and it was fine. We then went on Google and checked with tyre bible and found the problem.

We should have put 275/40/18 on the rear and not 275/35/18.

The tyre bible said that we were 6mph out.

So I am going to change the lot for 255/40/18 on the front and 275/40/18 on the rear.

That website is great for info. just put the sizes you have in the chart and hit the calculate button and it comes up with what the bigger size is and whats more it is correct:)

The rays are gleaming and unmarked and compliment the car which is silver.

And it seems pointless paying out for wheels when I like the ones I have.

I am using RSR in Croydon and am happy with them, and 4 new bridgestone re050's the sizes i want will not be far

short of a grand.

The main reason I want more rubber apart from the fact I hate spacers is thus far I have a Milltec cat-back exhaust plus de-cats and up-rev from Abbey. In addition I am getting a supercharger in a couple of weeks. So I just need some grip for the wet winter.

Not that I am going to race away from lights or the like.

I also want to keep the car Stealth. However black is about the only colour wheel that looks good on a silver car.

Only problem the tyre company seems to have is a limitation on the ability to get different makes.

I was considering Toyo Proxes as I hear they have good grip in the wet. Plus they are fair bit cheaper that the bridgestones.

Something I won't do is compromise on safety. Mine or anyone elses as we all owe each other a duty of care.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Regards

Peter

:thumbs:

The main reason I want more rubber apart from the fact I hate spacers is thus far I have a Milltec cat-back exhaust plus de-cats and up-rev from Abbey. In addition I am getting a supercharger in a couple of weeks. So I just need some grip for the wet winter.

Actualy grip difference between a 265 and a 285 isnt *that* much though ........ :)

I also want to keep the car Stealth. However black is about the only colour wheel that looks good on a silver car.

1299081629.jpg

OK ......... ;)

I was considering Toyo Proxes as I hear they have good grip in the wet. Plus they are fair bit cheaper that the bridgestones.

Something I won't do is compromise on safety. Mine or anyone elses as we all owe each other a duty of care.

Get the Bridgies then, the Toyos are good for the money but nowhere near the RE050A's :thumbs:

I Turned the traction control off. Think something got missed in the thread. I lost all drive as the car went into fail safe? As soon as I put the 245/45/18 back on it was fine.

To reiterate I put the rear on the front (245/45/18) and the RE050's on the rear. It was the aspect ratio that caused the problem

Inadvertantly 275/35/18 which if you were to enter into the calculator on page 4 of the Tyre Bible you will see it makes the car 6mph out!

However 275/40/18 is the correct tyre which I had all the calculations from the yanky 350z forum and I know someone running this combo which if fine.

Anyone who wants to witness what the effect this wrong combination has on my car is more than welcome to come along to RSR in Croydon (who i trust infatically) and I am sure if you pay them they will put the wrong combo on and I won't even reach the top of the lane.

We spoke direct to Bridgestone and Nissan technical department this very morning.

It's the old senario that if you put 10 people in a room for 5 mins then get them to write an independant description on the last 5 mins you would get 10 different answeres.

A good example was the carbon fibre interior kit i got yesterday. The description said 350 zed new carbon interior kit. When I got it I found it did not fit? Thats because I have a 2009 350 and this was a pre face lift kit. Know one thought to check because we tend to give advice about car or product that we own and no thought is spared to the question. "What do they own"?

The person who is at fault here is myself because l asked for the wrong tyre and thats what I got.

All I know is it refused to soldier and the combination of £500 on tyres and £335 on the carbon kit both of which had to be sent back

made for a very wasted day.

As usual guys, thanks for your imput, and I am sure the way out of this is to drive backwards off Beachy Head sticking my head in the clouds as I fall.

Knowing my luck l would survive.

Regards

Peter

Wait so if the rolling % is out the car will only limp? That's mad.

how much of a % can you get away with?

Sorry for threadjack.

No problem but I have not got a clue. If you Google Tyre bible http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html (The calculator that a lot of tyre fitters use) then go to page 4 of 4 and down the bottom of the page is a calculator where you enter the fsize of the tyre you have on the rim and then entre the tyre you wish to put on the rim and it will calculate the plus and minus and tell you the real speed you are travelling when the speedo shows 70. For example with the OEM tyres the car will travel 70mph when the speedo shows 70.

No plus or minus difference.

A few examples then go try it yourselves. Make sure you use the tyre size calculator at the bottom of the page and not the offset one in the middle! If I change my rears from 245/45/18 to say 275/30/18 at a speedo reading of 70 you will have a minus % of -8.19

Which might be what I tried!. now enter 275/35/18 and you have a minus of -4.13. and lastly because you can all play with this until your hearts content. enter 275/40/18 = 0.07% at 70mph = 69.95 mph and thats as good as dam it.

Please all you old sweats remember i am not a tyre man I thought I knew a lot yesterday morning and when I went to bed I realised i knew nothing. Mind you even the tyre guys were puzzled and we send Ferraris their all the time, hence the trust.

Got to shoot as this is taking up to much of my time. The only people who know the answeres to your questions are the ones who have the same car as you and have worn the T_Shirt. Not me as I have a 2009 that i have owned for a few weeks and am a jinx:)

I only have the OEM 245 on the back at the moment so 275 will be a lot better for me. Plus due to a medical condition I am forced to visit at least one Hospital a week come rain or shine. And I am fortold that the RE050'S have excellent grip in the wet over the 040's!

Funny how thing work out. My last car was a Nissan pathfinder Adventura. And the OEM were Bridgestone twin Dueler. I gave them away and put General Grabbers on. Silly really as the Duelers were new and £170 each so I should have charged him £200 mate or no mate!

Peter

Should have said the only colour apart from the obvious that compliments a Silver car apart from those nice chrome ones is Black.

How much were they as the look great.

Wonder how much my rays are worth. I even have a brand new one with unused 225/45/18 Potenza so thats five all told.

Trouble is with insurance companies they consider larger tyres or Chrome wheels as a mod. then they rub their hands together and proclaim that the wheels make it more knickable and want more dosh! Tell them you have no mods and they send their own assessor to check the car and he sees ya lubbly jubbly shiney's and the swine will berrate you with a barrarge of rules and word plays!

The car God demands a sacrifice!!

Peter

WHAT IS THE FRONT LIP ON THIS Z?!?

Actualy grip difference between a 265 and a 285 isnt *that* much though ........ :)

1299081629.jpg

OK ......... ;)

Get the Bridgies then, the Toyos are good for the money but nowhere near the RE050A's :thumbs:

TCS will only be upset by the difference between the front and rear rolling radius of tyres. It doesnt give a @*!# if your speedo is wrong. It can only work out if the wheel is slipping if it thinks the rear wheels are spinning faster than the front. By default the front tyres are 3% less RR than the rears - ie the rear tyres are 3% larger in circumference (IIRC). This is all the TCS cares about, if you keep this the same then the car will be happy and you can run whatever size tyres you like, smaller or larger RR, it doesnt care as long as it thinks the rear wheels are spinning a bit slower than the fronts (in absolute terms) therefore it sees them as spinning the same speed (as it knows the rear wheel is bigger).

Hope that makes sense :thumbs:

Just to get my head round it....you are saying that even with the esp off the car went on limp mode?? :wacko:

Esp interferes true but it shouldnt once off

Ps I agree that everybody has a different opinion....but some things are for a fact. Pilot supersports are a league better than ps2s, which are about the same if not a touch better than the 050As. Toyos are with the rest. All that for your 313 350z and for 18 or 19 inch rims and for the manufacturers specifications. That's a fact....now if you got a car designed for specific tyre sizes and you wanna fit it with bicycle wheels let's say to make it look cooler then we need to look into it a bit more and apologies if there isn't that much experience around :blush:

What ever it came out of the factory with I hope. Plus 35 psi in the tyres:)

I have a fat bugger of a mate that lowers the car considerably ha ha.

It's all sorted now thanks. The rear OEM 245/45/18's that are on the rear will go back on the front as we tried them yesterday.

Plus many many people on here do the same thing. Then 275/40/18 on the rear.

A guy that works at tyre fitters who was not there yesterday has a 350z and runs the above combo on his 2007 GT with

no probs at all.

Peter :band:

The wheels in that pic are Work Equips, Ive got a pair for sale in fairly similar sizes available if you are interested ....... :teeth:

Tell me about your Rays, model, size, offset, tyres, condition and Ill tell you what they are worth :thumbs:

I

They are what ever came out of the factory 18's with one brand spanking new front at tyre 245/45/18

Good to hear they have a tech that has a 350z, he should know that the RR of front and rear tyres is not the same. Thats where 99% of tyre fitters go wrong as for the majority of cars the RR on all wheels is the same, whereas front to rear they are different on the 350z.

I assume you are aware that fitting tyres with a greater RR than OEM fitment will make your speedo under read the cars speed and will compensate for that accordingly (ie the car will report you are doing a slower speed than you actually are). In reality it may well balance up the fact that as stock it over reads the cars speed and give you an accurate speedo reading :lol:

TCS will only be upset by the difference between the front and rear rolling radius of tyres. It doesnt give a @*!# if your speedo is wrong. It can only work out if the wheel is slipping if it thinks the rear wheels are spinning faster than the front. By default the front tyres are 3% less RR than the rears - ie the rear tyres are 3% larger in circumference (IIRC). This is all the TCS cares about, if you keep this the same then the car will be happy and you can run whatever size tyres you like, smaller or larger RR, it doesnt care as long as it thinks the rear wheels are spinning a bit slower than the fronts (in absolute terms) therefore it sees them as spinning the same speed (as it knows the rear wheel is bigger).

Hope that makes sense :thumbs:

I only put that link to Tyre Bible as it has a load of correct info for newbies like myself and gives it in laymans terms.

I only described what happened when I put 275/35/18 on the back. I honestly thought the front was rubbing as i went into panic mode

> but after a chill pill it had to be the rears if that slip light came on.

I am beginning to think I should have bought that Ferrari 456 that i liked. but then i suppose I would be under the bonnet all the time and on a forum full of horay henry's instead of a bunch of rough necks like us ha ha:)

Peter :bangin:

Good to hear they have a tech that has a 350z, he should know that the RR of front and rear tyres is not the same. Thats where 99% of tyre fitters go wrong as for the majority of cars the RR on all wheels is the same, whereas front to rear they are different on the 350z.

I assume you are aware that fitting tyres with a greater RR than OEM fitment will make your speedo under read the cars speed and will compensate for that accordingly (ie the car will report you are doing a slower speed than you actually are). In reality it may well balance up the fact that as stock it over reads the cars speed and give you an accurate speedo reading :lol:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

275/40/18 on the rear will give a Difference in circumference of -1.5mm or - 0.07%

So when your speedo reads 70mph, you're actually travelling at 69.95

With the 275/35/18 on the rear gave a Difference in circumference of -84.44mm or - 4.13%

So when your speedo reads 70mph, you're actually travelling at 67.11.

Blimey I am knackerd now!!! :clap:

It can be very unnerving when it happens and TCS in the 350z isnt exactly subtle so I can see why it'd scare the crap out of anyone :scare:

I had to do it on my old 350z when swapping some wheels around and had my Rotas at the rear and Rays the front. They were both 18" wheels but the Rotas had a lower RR on them (by design and recommendation of an old trader on here), which was fine with all 4 Rotas as the RR front to back compensated, but with Rays on the front the TCS went mental, very unnerving :surrender: I learnt a lot about how the TCS worked that day after thinking my car was broken :blush:

1 wheel has minor kerb and is hardley noticable but the rest are excellent and like I said. One brand new (Not refurb)

It may have got wet as it was lost in the South China seas for a few months:):) Joke.

I witness it's arrival from Japan and it is not a cheap item.

The car is a early 2009 with 11300mls on the clock. And i wash my wheels in a mild solution of cleaner every week.

However the tyres are bought and paid for and I have a supercharger to payfor so need to keep in a budget.

Waiting for Abbey to come back with the shipping price but it's a £10k job

Wheels will be about the only thing I will put on the outside. Under the bonnet and interior. umm well thats a different matter:)

peter :yahoo: