An Apology

Ekona

For years now whenever people have popped up on this (and other) forums inquiring about what sub-£5K runaround non-fun car they should get, I've always given the same answer: Get a Ford Focus. I owned a first generation car and it was worthy of all the praise it got from both press and public alike, as it did everything so brilliantly as well as being mechanically sound and (whisper it) bloody good fun to drive if the urge took you. The second-gen cars were equally as good, albeit a little uglier, but still the default family car to buy even ahead of it's premium rivals. The third generation is now out, and to my delight I was offered one as my current rental car out here in the US.

My delight didn't last long. It's sh*t. :rant:

Gone is the wonderful seating position and instead we have a hard fabric-covered lump that's offset to the steering and pedals, leading to an 80's-Italian-supercar-style slouch not suitable for distance driving. They've thrown out the delightfully simple and clear dials & controls and instead we now have the single-most confused dash layout ever, with various colours and tough plasticky buttons and the most retarded place for an intermittent rear wiper switch in the history of the entire world. Honestly, it's a complete mess, and Ford really need to get someone in to re-design their menu structure for the various displays as it's all over the place.

I'd forgive this if it was a decent drive. It's not. It's a big ball of guff. Okay so it's the poverty spec 2L petrol mated to a slushbox, but Ford should still be capable of making something that could pull the skin off a rice pudding and that doesn't need seven attempts at finding the right ratio to be in. That said, it makes no difference what gear you're in as there is zero change in acceleration regardless. That's okay though because the fuel consumption is great, right? WRONG. 250 miles out of a 45L tank is shockingly bad, especially when 95% of the mileage I'm doing out here is highway stuff. That wonderfully direct steering has seemingly been replaced by a big marshmallow ball, although there's no torque steer at all: I'm putting this down to there BEING ALMOST NO POWER THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. A bit of torque steer might be nice actually, at least I'd know that the front wheels are connected to the engine! It doesn't even ride well, it's all wishy-washy and jumpy where it shouldn't be and the tyre roar is awful.

The remote control is proper pony. Two pushes to double lock the car is the norm, but why do I have to push the button with. Two. Huge. Gaps. Inbetween. Or else it doesn't register? My record so far is 14 presses for one double lock. Strangely this doesn't apply to the boot unlock, which flies open at the merest hint of having pushed the button twice.

:bangin:

Anything good about it? Umm, I guess the brakes are okay. Ish. And the stereo has a surprising amount of bass, although you'll never find a volume that it's comfortable at (Volume level 4 is far too quiet and volume level 5 IS MILES TOO LOUD).

I am now officially retiring my default response of "Get a Focus" now, or at least adding the get out clause of "As long as it's a mk1 or mk2". Ford, I am dissapoint.

I think you've missed your calling - great write up :lol: Maybe the UK cars will be better?! I've been in the US for the past 6 weeks with work and have spent my time driving cars which seem to have been made as crap as possible. My current steed is a Chevy Cobalt and it's beyond bad - slow, coarse engine, terrible brakes, awful interior trim plastics not seen since the '80s etc etc..............

As for the steering, have they changed from hydraulic to an electric system?

Ooh good point, I just checked and they have so that explains that. Horrible systems.

My current steed is a Chevy Cobalt and it's beyond bad - slow, coarse engine, terrible brakes, awful interior trim plastics not seen since the '80s etc etc..............

Ah but you'd expect nothing less from a Chevy ;) I'd actually have preferred a genuinely rubbish car instead as at least you know it's going to be a bit poor and you can have some fun with that. This is a premium Ford product and it really shouldn't be this bad.

Ah but you'd expect nothing less from a Chevy ;) I'd actually have preferred a genuinely rubbish car instead as at least you know it's going to be a bit poor and you can have some fun with that. This is a premium Ford product and it really shouldn't be this bad.

Haha true Chevys are cheap and cheeful I guess. One of the other guys out here had a Tahoe for a a couple of days and the glove box came off in his hand :lol:

If they don't sort out some of the Focus' ride/handling/engine shortcomings for the UK market that will indeed be a shame - I have fond memories of my old ST170

I've just been out in it again, in the pissing rain this time. And guess what? It's still sh*t! The windscreen wipers don't move nearly quick enough to shift the water needed, which means driving in a Florida summer storm is a case of looking at where the green stuff is either side of the road and using that as a guide, 'cos you sure as hell can't see where the road is! :lol:

The only consolation is that they'll change 'how it drives' in the UK.

Suspension and steering are usually quite different as UK drivers prefer 'more feel' I'm told.

That's probably a fair call given the later model 350's had softer suspension to quell the masses in the US that prefer a softer ride.