Cloudy Headlights

narcotix

Hey all,

Recently I noticed that the headlights on my '04 Zed have started to get a bit cloudy near the top corner ...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not sure if it's on the external casing of the lens or internal ... but it doesn't look good at all!

I will take some pics and upload them later on in case that helps ...

:thumbs:

The same is well known with the FTO as they are now pretty old, they can be polished out.

The worst cases needed a few stages of different grade wet and dry. If done correctly they will come up like new.

Also you can buy headlight polishing paste -

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=head ... m270.l1313

Or Moisture as above! B)

Oh! Did you like the lights??

It doesn't look like moisture on the inside ... I've attached a picture so you can see what I mean ...

I remember having to do them on my FTO a few years back ... pretty scary when you start using the wet & dry paper on them :scare:

Think I'll try polishing them up with some T-Cut first ... and then see whether I need to go any further with them ...

BTW Coppz ... I've been meaning to message you ... the lights came through fine! I fitted them within 10 minutes of recieving them LoL ... I had to modify my existing connector slightly but they look and work Brilliant! Thanks!

What year Zed do you have?

I had to modify my new lights to connect those to the Zed..Mine is a JDM '03.

Wonder what the doner car was originally..?!

Good luck with those lights! :thumbs:

My Zed is a UK '04 plate .. It could possibly be due to the JDM and UK difference ...

Did you have to shave off the plastic on the outside of the connectors?

There's a thread somewhere where quite a few of us have done polishing of surface oxidation using MEGS NXT METAL POLISH. Did mine on the recommendation by hand using this and a MF cloth. No sanding needed. No swirls.

Do you think Autosol would have the same effect?

I'd be doing it by hand too ... wasn't sure if metal polish would be too abrasive ...

Search for a post by Graham 'glrnet' think it was him who said about Megs all metal polish working?

Autosol may be too abrasive.

+1, tried and tested and works a treat.

keep the autosol well away from the headlights though

You've got exactly what I used to have on my headlights. I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound on my Kestrel DAS6 polisher on speed 2. The headlights came out brand new!! They will need doing again soon though...

Have a look at my detailing thread for further details:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48935&hilit=hassanz

Did that not take a while on speed 2? Thats rather slow! Normally use speed 2 to spread the compound about and then work up to 4/5 to work it in on my DA6, then back down to 3 to burnish it at the end when the compound has done its stuff.

Mine was the same. Its a film that develops on the outer surface and I just rub it with Duraglit metal polish (the type that comes soaked in a wadding material) and it shifts it great. Mines returned a couple of times but its easily got rid of :thumbs:

Use brasso and elbow grease :thumbs: or any sort of hard cutting polish will do the trick t-cut, meguairs compound etc

you'll scratch the hell out of them with what you've recommended.

Used brasso and t cut on my is200 headlights they came up like new, was recommended by other is200 owners? Wont be much difference on the zed will they ? :blush:

Thanks for all the advice guys ...

I used T-Cut on my lights this morning and they have come up pretty good ...

I had to go over them a few times to completely remove the cloudy film at the top ... but overall I am very pleased with the result.

I think next time I will use the Megs Metal polish as recommended earlier though ...

:thumbs:

You've got exactly what I used to have on my headlights. I used Meguiars Ultimate Compound on my Kestrel DAS6 polisher on speed 2. The headlights came out brand new!! They will need doing again soon though...

Have a look at my detailing thread for further details:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48935&hilit=hassanz

Did that not take a while on speed 2? Thats rather slow! Normally use speed 2 to spread the compound about and then work up to 4/5 to work it in on my DA6, then back down to 3 to burnish it at the end when the compound has done its stuff.

Sorry for the late reply Chris, didn't realise you replied :bangin:

Apologies, my bad! You're right, I used speed 2 to spread the ultimate compound around then increased the speed to 3/4 (I've got a bad memory!). I didn't keep it on too long just incase I overheated the plastic and damaged the lens permanently.

On the bodywork I used speed 2 to spread then speed 5 to buff.

My headlights are beginning to haze again. Considering I wax them often, they have started to haze again VERY quickly. :wacko: Might need to pull out the polisher again soon...

My headlights are beginning to haze again. Considering I wax them often, they have started to haze again VERY quickly. :wacko: Might need to pull out the polisher again soon...

Curious why you wax your headlights? Or am I mis-interrupting?

I wax mine also, keeps them cleaner for longer. There's no harm in doing it. A mate of mine used to wax his windscreen, odd I know but did a surprisingly good job, until I introduced him to RainX.

If I polish and wax the headlights they come up brand new, and stay that way too :thumbs: