Seatbelt not retracting all the way... MOT Fail?

slimjim

My drivers seatbelt doesn't retract all the way back at normal speed.

Goes back about 80% normally but the last slack just doesn't retract unless I coax it.

Anyone know if this is an MOT fail? (Due this month)..

Or any suggestions on how to fix it?

Ta... :teeth:

I wasn't failed for one like that, if it wasn't actually worse - guess it'll pass unless it is a safety issue (like if you put it on and it is still slack).

Nope, when you put it on it goes tight, no problem.

Then retracts back nearly all the way, with the buckle hanging at the bottom of the seat.

Guess I will just have to book it in and see how it goes.

What if you replaced it with a 4 point harness? That doesn't retract anywhere.

Harness doesn't allow forward movement, therefore doesn't need to retract. Normal inertia reel seat belts work on the basis of allowing forward movement but taking up the slack when reversed, that's kind of the whole point of it.

And yes, it is technically an MOT fail if the belt is not retracting properly. But as the last few inches does have this problem quite often in a lot of cars, and it would not be enough to get around an occupant, i.e the belt works normally when wound out to it's usual working position, you tend to find that the tester may use his discretion. Or not even notice. I have often picked up cars from MOT to find the belts pulled out and clicked into place, but not returned.

What if you replaced it with a 4 point harness? That doesn't retract anywhere.

Harness doesn't allow forward movement, therefore doesn't need to retract. Normal inertia reel seat belts work on the basis of allowing forward movement but taking up the slack when reversed, that's kind of the whole point of it.

My point being - if it doesn't retract all the way but is stopping sharp forward movement then what harm is it doing?

The point is it has to be able to retract. If it gets to the point where you move forward, but when you move back it doesn't come with you, then yes it may still lock when it is hit, but you will accelerate before hitting it and it will not necessarily be in the correct position. That is dangerous and potentially life threatening. That's why it's an MOT fail. Although, as I pointed out, you may get through on discretion if it's only effecting the last few inches.

My drivers seatbelt doesn't retract all the way back at normal speed.

Goes back about 80% normally but the last slack just doesn't retract unless I coax it.

Anyone know if this is an MOT fail? (Due this month)..

Or any suggestions on how to fix it?

The lack of retraction can be caused by built up grime not allowing the belts to move freely. If you fully extend the seatbelt/s and clip around handbrake or the like so it can't retract. And use a small container of warm water with a mild mix of a bit of dish washing liquid and clean the seatbelt both sides with the solution. It's a good idea to have a towel available to avoid any spillages. Allow the seatbelt/s to dry fully before allowing the seatbelt to retract into place.

The belts should retract properly after that, if they were grimey and not obstructed. Also it's a good opportunity to make sure there's no nicks on the belts.

Ricey... watshot... go have your tiffs somewhere else :lol:

The lack of retraction can be caused by built up grime not allowing the belts to move freely. If you fully extend the seatbelt/s and clip around handbrake or the like so it can't retract. And use a small container of warm water with a mild mix of a bit of dish washing liquid and clean the seatbelt both sides with the solution. It's a good idea to have a towel available to avoid any spillages. Allow the seatbelt/s to dry fully before allowing the seatbelt to retract into place.

The belts should retract properly after that, if they were grimey and not obstructed. Also it's a good opportunity to make sure there's no nicks on the belts.

I will do that today, thanks Bronzee :thumbs:

• 1 year later...

Cheers for that, I'll give that a go this evening, if it doesn't help cure the issue, any other ideas guys ?

• 2 months later...

Both of my old 200SX's did this and i put it down to wear and tear, i never had a problem with MOT's. Saying that though they only sagged about 3 inches and a gentle shove and they retracted to their normal position. My '04 ZED does this as well and again no MOT fail and again a similar amount of sag. I think it must be a Nissan thing. I've never even had an advisory.