Front brake disc options

ThyJones

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Braking is not something you'd want to skimp on - especially if you're as enthusiastic driver. At the moment our track car is just running OEM Brembos and yellowstuff pads. They're adequate on track but quite a long way off ideal. The best pads we've found so far are the Performance Friction 01 compound - very dusty though and probably not the best choice for a road car.

We've not tried the EBC disks yet, but do have DBA in stock: http://www.h-dev.co.uk/advanced_search_ ... s=350z+dba

So dba cheap option is 345£ and pricey option 550£ and granny discs from ebc are 200£, not much in it really so unless someone comes on and state the ebc are the dogs I'd probably go dba myself. Best match a good set of pads though. Yellow pads are pretty aggressive...

I've been using oem brembo with ebb blueshift ndx pads. The stopping power is fantastic. Haven't managed to fade the pads as I did with the yellowstuff. They haven't lasted very long due to the weight of the zed.

I've never heard of anyone fitting ebc discs that hasn't had a problem. Everyone ive spoken to has had dtv and pulsing through the pedal. They also suffer alot of noise aswell.

I do really like the ebc pads in terms of value for money. I'm using yellowstuff for road and then switching to bluestuff for track.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate the advice, how much are oem discs? Ive also got a full set of ebc yellows on, i put them on today and now ive got brake judder, i had to grind the discs a bit but theyre obv past it :s so i think i need to change the discs sharpish before i wreck the pads (in honesty it shouldnt) but i dont want to risk it.

Thanks again

Sometimes judder is caused by pad deposits, if you weren't getting judder before then this may be it - you can sometimes sand this off apparently but I've never experienced it. EBC yellows come with some kind of "bed in" stuff painted on - it could be this causing your judder.

New thickness of OE brembo fit discs is 30mm, wear limit is 28mm. Get a caliper and measure them up, also watch out for concentric grooves and concave face that may go a bit deeper.

I'm running stock disks at present with Brembo calipers, but have stuck on a set of EBC yellow stuff all round.

The pads I took off were part worn Ferodo ones.

The change was definitely noticable and stopping is now a lot better.

Most of my driving is around country A and B roads and as of yet, not noticed any fade.

Definitely tempted with an open track session at some point, so will be interesting to see how they fair then.

Guess its down to your driving style and personal preference.

Horses for courses...

Just bought these from ebay, Kinetix discs with EBC Yellowstuff pads for 350Z with Brembo's, £399 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS-NISSAN-350Z-03-BREMBO-/330497004710?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf32814a6

Kinetix website:

http://www.kinetixbrakes.co.uk/index.html

They look very good quality wise and I think they are great value for money.

I am going to fit them this weekend, I will post my evaluation of them next week after giving the a thorough testing.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate the advice, how much are oem discs? Ive also got a full set of ebc yellows on, i put them on today and now ive got brake judder, i had to grind the discs a bit but theyre obv past it :s so i think i need to change the discs sharpish before i wreck the pads (in honesty it shouldnt) but i dont want to risk it.

Thanks again

Sometimes judder is caused by pad deposits, if you weren't getting judder before then this may be it - you can sometimes sand this off apparently but I've never experienced it. EBC yellows come with some kind of "bed in" stuff painted on - it could be this causing your judder.

New thickness of OE brembo fit discs is 30mm, wear limit is 28mm. Get a caliper and measure them up, also watch out for concentric grooves and concave face that may go a bit deeper.

Thanks for the info, now ignore the fact im not sure of the terminology, but if you view a disc from the side, it kind of looks like:

|| ||

should each || be 30mm(wear 28mm) or is it || + || = 30mm/28?

Thanks

Thanks again

Thanks for the info, now ignore the fact im not sure of the terminology, but if you view a disc from the side, it kind of looks like:

|| ||

should each || be 30mm(wear 28mm) or is it || + || = 30mm/28?

Thanks

The thickness of the whole disc inc vent gap - it will be clear when you look at it!

See page 1:

http://www.peopleu.com/course_objects/c ... Brakes.pdf

Just bought these from ebay, Kinetix discs with EBC Yellowstuff pads for 350Z with Brembo's, £399 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS-NISSAN-350Z-03-BREMBO-/330497004710?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf32814a6

Kinetix website:

I am going to fit them this weekend, I will post my evaluation of them next week after giving the a thorough testing.

:blackeye: They look like EBC type discs, best of luck with it. There 'must' be a give (quality) in something if you can get a full set front and rear with pads for that price.

Think people on here has found the EBC to be a bit crap for the Z, dont know myself but if you're intending on working the car hard I'd look for something a bit more upmarket :thumbs:

What he said. :D Although if you're not intending to push it, just get some new OEM discs and uprate the pads and lines. :thumbs:

OEM Discs are more expensive than anything on the market you nutter! :bangin:

+1 :thumbs: Why would anyone want to put cheap(S*$t) brakes on such nice cars???????

Well the OP wanted a budget option... The budget options are EBC or APEC.

Zmanalex says APEC discs are "not bad" viewtopic.php?f=59&t=43084&p=635371 but I don't know anyone with them fitted to a Z.

I will need new discs soon and would also like to hear what is put there at different price points.

I had a forum members Zed in for a brake upgrade yesterday.

He went for DBA rotors front and rear with Ferodo DS 2500 pads.

The stuff that I removed were Apec Pads and Apec rotors and they were compleely destroyed.

The Zed is a heavy car and IMHO budget stuff just does not work and is totally false economy.

Most of the budget stuff suffers from excessive run out.

The installed runout of a rotor must not exceed 0.050mm.

Excessive runout will result in DTV being worn into the rotor within as little as 1000 miles.

DTV will cause pedal pulsating, steering shudder or vibration during braking.

There are lots of people who do not understand brake component principles and are unable to take good advice on board and consequently end up paying twice when thay have to get the job done all over again.

Alex :)

I can testify to the truth this man speaks 100%. I've got EBC discs that were shaking my car to sh&t when I braked, after only 2000 miles. Had them skimmed and 1000 miles later the shudder is coming back.

Trust me fella, stay well clear of EBC and other cheapy ones. You'll pay more in the long run and give yourself a headache for good measure. Buy cheap, pay twice!

Ive measured my discs, and they are approx 27mm(so thats below the wear size correct)?

So i know I probably need new discs, but what has caused the juddering, is it the fact that ive got new pads (yellow stuff) and old discs, or the fact that the discs had some sligh ridges (which I tried to get rid of, and now actually feel pretty smooth) or could it be down to the fact that I didnt bed in properly(not sure how I couldnt, i followed that green guide)..

Anyway, best get some fundage sorted.

Thanks for the advice so far

Ive measured my discs, and they are approx 27mm(so thats below the wear size correct)?

So i know I probably need new discs, but what has caused the juddering, is it the fact that ive got new pads (yellow stuff) and old discs, or the fact that the discs had some sligh ridges (which I tried to get rid of, and now actually feel pretty smooth) or could it be down to the fact that I didnt bed in properly(not sure how I couldnt, i followed that green guide)..

Just a quick Q in relation to you replacing the pads, where they REALLY worn down? Did you clean the caliper pistons before slotting in the new pads and pushing the pistons further in the caliper? Did you check that all the pistons move freely? Having cleaned a good few bike pistons of calipers in the past, they more then likely will need to be cleaned properly since most often they don't move the same. For instance one piston might apply on the brake pad first...

Just a quick Q in relation to you replacing the pads, where they REALLY worn down? Did you clean the caliper pistons before slotting in the new pads and pushing the pistons further in the caliper? Did you check that all the pistons move freely? Having cleaned a good few bike pistons of calipers in the past, they more then likely will need to be cleaned properly since most often they don't move the same. For instance one piston might apply on the brake pad first...

I wish i'd taken a picture of them now, the pads weren't actually that uneven from memory. The discs had quite a few mm of ridges at the top, and the bottom, which i grinded out.

I did clean the pistons outer, and i cant be 100% sure now if i did this before or after i'd pushed them back in. Is it worth doing the same again?

Is there anything specific I should use to clean them, and is it just a case of pushing one or two in, cleaning, and repeat?

Finally, what is the legal (MOT requirement) for disc thickness, any ideas?

Thanks again

Cant comment about the MOT but you shouldn't go under the limit of the discs themselves. I use brake fluid to clean the pistons myself. I push them out as mush as I need (as long as they're dirty) then clean with a cloth and brake fluid. :thumbs: Just make sure they move properly in and out and inspect the seals. Did you take any photos of the discs? (did you check that the brake fluid reservoir isnt to full after you pushed the pads in?)

the fluid was ok after id done a few pumps of the brake pedal, just below max.

I assume the 30mm/28mm is the same for front and back?

And nope, didnt take a pic of the discs unfortunately - it didnt vibrate before, but then again, the pads had sort of followed the contours of the discs. I don't think there is any escaping the fact I need new discs really.

Cheers for the info!!

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted my new brembo's last night, and after cleaning the yellow stuff pads, cleaning the pistons and following the bed-in procedure again and I've got to say, theyre awesome again now :)) Well happy. Thanks for the advice and thanks to ZMALEX for sourcing me the parts quickly etc.

So atleast I know it was definately the old discs causing the problem.

Kinetix website:

Interested to hear your evaluation have you managed to fit them yet?

Kinetix Discs And EDB YellowStuff Pads.

Out of the box the discs look very good quality, I checked all the stated tolerances on the size of the discs and they were all fine.

I fitted the rear discs with EBC Yellowstuff pads Saturday 16th July before being rained off Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

I fitted the front discs and EBC Yellowstuff pads on last Saturday, I checked the run out with a DTI and found them both to be within 3 thousandths of an inch (0.003") which is within the specification in the manual.

I took the car out for a run to bed-in the new discs and pads which removes the coating on the surface of the pads and beds-in the new pads.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

The new discs and pads worked great, there is a very slight noise from the slots and dimples when braking hard but you would have to have you windows open to even notice it.

Overall I think they were a great buy for the price.

PAK999.