Front brake disc options

ThyJones

Hi there.

With the brembo setup, what actual choices are there for front brake discs, that aren't in the high end price bracket?

I can get some ebc ones for approx £190, and have seen a few others for that kind of price, is that basically as cheap as they are? or are there budget ones?

Also, if the rears are ok, do you still have to change the whole set(front and rears?) Just been reading about brake bias, so a little unclear.

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add, this will only be for general road use and the occasional bit of oopmp, and will not be on a track.

andlid, thats whats worried me, read a few things about the ebc ones which has made me worry.. Is there anything out there less than 150 notes?

Just to add, this will only be for general road use and the occasional bit of oopmp, and will not be on a track.

andlid, thats whats worried me, read a few things about the ebc ones which has made me worry.. Is there anything out there less than 150 notes?

My brakes :lol:

To be honest don't know, I'd try out the EBC's if you're not tending to do trackday's and mad driving. What pads are you planning on using? I'd go for full EBC setup and see how you get on dude. Not to expensive to change them to something else. Found the EBC pads *yellow fine for normal driving, once heated up they went crappy though. Think trackpig runs Yellowstuff on his for track, not sure how he's managing it, might be his cooling ducts :bounce: I'm dying to try out my carbontech pads that I got made for the Z with a otherwise Brembo setup (braided lines)

Think people on here has found the EBC to be a bit crap for the Z, dont know myself but if you're intending on working the car hard I'd look for something a bit more upmarket :thumbs:

What he said. :D Although if you're not intending to push it, just get some new OEM discs and uprate the pads and lines. :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate the advice, how much are oem discs? Ive also got a full set of ebc yellows on, i put them on today and now ive got brake judder, i had to grind the discs a bit but theyre obv past it :s so i think i need to change the discs sharpish before i wreck the pads (in honesty it shouldnt) but i dont want to risk it.

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate the advice, how much are oem discs? Ive also got a full set of ebc yellows on, i put them on today and now ive got brake judder, i had to grind the discs a bit but theyre obv past it :s so i think i need to change the discs sharpish before i wreck the pads (in honesty it shouldnt) but i dont want to risk it.

Thanks again

Not sure of prices but for all answers

:pmzmanalex:

Thanks again

Did you bed them in?

Yeah, followed the guide, but i think its def the discs :s

did you measure the discs? might just need a bit of resurfacing done to them, to get the groves out that was matched to the old pad set. Don't think they're warped mate.

Im not sure how many mm they were, whats the minimum per side of the vent? As for resurfacing, would that just be with a grinder or?

:wacko: no you cant use a grinder,need to get a special machine for that dude!

Ill find out the spec for u

:thumbs:

How do the OEM discs differ from these: http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/itemdetail.asp?catID=15963 ? The ebc ones?

I cant actually find a link to OEM ones, can these only be purchased from nissan, or are these ebc ones refered to as oem ones(as a few threads have lead me to beleive?)

Also, say if my front discs are nackered, how long is it likely to be before i cause problems with my new yellow stuff pads? Is it worth not driving until i put the new discs on?

Thanks for the info

I cant actually find a link to OEM ones, can these only be purchased from nissan, or are these ebc ones refered to as oem ones(as a few threads have lead me to beleive?)

I stock Genuine OEM Nissan Rotors, however thay are more expensive than DBA which I also stock.

Like I told you before, you will have issues with EBC stuff. :wacko:

Looks like my words have came true. :headhurt:

Alex :)

I stock Genuine OEM Nissan Rotors, however thay are more expensive than DBA which I also stock.

Like I told you before, you will have issues with EBC stuff. :wacko:

Looks like my words have came true. :headhurt:

How much are the Genuine OEM nissan rotors then, and how much are the DBA's?

As for the EBC stuff, after reading loads of posts on a few forums etc, its mixed reviews, and there was no definitive review of them, good or bad.

I dont get why theyre so bad?

When I called recently genuine rotors were about £180 each from Nissan. Forum traders will no doubt get them cheaper.

Cheapest I found for a pair is £120 delivered for Apec brand disks. These have no pad clearing grooves or pointless holes (which can cause cracks) so may be a reasonable budget option - I have heard good things about Apec from use on ordinary cars but not heard anything in "performance" circles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0316759914

These are 324 mm dia / 30mm thick discs for brembo equipped cars.

the lowest quality i would fit is oem brembo.

I dont know why people buy sports car and scrimp on parts for them. The brakes save your life everytime you press them. Its the one thing i wouldnt recommend scrimping on

the lowest quality i would fit is oem brembo.

I dont know why people buy sports car and scrimp on parts for them. The brakes save your life everytime you press them. Its the one thing i wouldnt recommend scrimping on

+1 :thumbs: Why would anyone want to put cheap(S*$t) brakes on such nice cars???????

+1 :thumbs: Why would anyone want to put cheap(S*$t) brakes on such nice cars???????

Well the OP wanted a budget option... The budget options are EBC or APEC.

Zmanalex says APEC discs are "not bad" viewtopic.php?f=59&t=43084&p=635371 but I don't know anyone with them fitted to a Z.

I will need new discs soon and would also like to hear what is put there at different price points.

My advice is to speak to ebc disc drivers and see what they say, my opinion is if you're not going for mad heat laps around the track you'll be fine with lower price stuff. You might need to change more often though. My jdm setup with ebc was fine for road. More then 2 hard breakings before cooling down was a no no, its all down to what you do and drive. I hated the setup. Brembo is a step up but no where close great for me. Hoping these pads can take some more heat. Think the z should have had a bbk from factory! Currently looking it either wilwood or stoptech, leaning towards the later...

Well the OP wanted a budget option... The budget options are EBC or APEC.

Zmanalex says APEC discs are "not bad" viewtopic.php?f=59&t=43084&p=635371 but I don't know anyone with them fitted to a Z.

I will need new discs soon and would also like to hear what is put there at different price points.

I had a forum members Zed in for a brake upgrade yesterday.

He went for DBA rotors front and rear with Ferodo DS 2500 pads.

The stuff that I removed were Apec Pads and Apec rotors and they were compleely destroyed.

The Zed is a heavy car and IMHO budget stuff just does not work and is totally false economy.

Most of the budget stuff suffers from excessive run out.

The installed runout of a rotor must not exceed 0.050mm.

Excessive runout will result in DTV being worn into the rotor within as little as 1000 miles.

DTV will cause pedal pulsating, steering shudder or vibration during braking.

There are lots of people who do not understand brake component principles and are unable to take good advice on board and consequently end up paying twice when thay have to get the job done all over again.

Just understand what my car was like with JDM brakes and yellowpads... IMO the brake setup is very personal and unless your pushing the car around the place you dont need to go out and spend monies on an 'expensive' brake setup. Be prepared to by cheap and by twice though. EBC are used all over the place, even seen it on a few race bikes! *

Alex, again if your driving the Z as a normal car you wont need any heavy upgrade to the brakes IMO. (read the signature though)

Again if you track the car, a decent setup is recommended and IMO (again) Yellowstuff pads and brembo's can't take the heat on the track I use.

*not sure I'd recommend the latter

Just understand what my car was like with JDM brakes and yellowpads... IMO the brake setup is very personal and unless your pushing the car around the place you dont need to go out and spend monies on an 'expensive' brake setup. Be prepared to by cheap and by twice though. EBC are used all over the place, even seen it on a few race bikes! *

Alex, again if your driving the Z as a normal car you wont need any heavy upgrade to the brakes IMO. (read the signature though)

Again if you track the car, a decent setup is recommended and IMO (again) Yellowstuff pads and brembo's can't take the heat on the track I use.

*not sure I'd recommend the latter

Anders, I do not think that any one is recommending a heavy upgrade. :)

I would assume that the OPs Zed originally had OEM Brembos fitted to it and fitting EBC IMHO is ten steps backwards.

The natural replacement for Brembo rotors and a step up is DBA which are also cheaper than the OEM Brembos.

However EBC will be fine if fitted correcly and is only being driven to the shops and back by your Granny. :thumbs:

Love your disclaimer by the way :lol:

Alex. :)

Just fitted my front DBA's and ferodo pads, was a bit worried as after 20miles I had some juddering and noise from them which I didnt get from the rears I fitted a few weeks back. The discs say no hard braking for 500miles but the pads say you should do some semi heavy stops when first fitted. Fixed the problem by some short B road action, :D (hopefully) and can say that the difference is totally noticeable and much improved over stock pads and discs (brembos) :thumbs: