Effect of Job Description

Posidrive

With all the recent threads about accurate declarations and insurers looking for an easy out, it got me thinking about how they interpret your job and the industry in which you work sicne it apparantly has an impact on you premiums. Take my example.

I have a degree in Chemical Engineering, work in Petroleum Engineering but spend nearly all day writing computer software. So am I a Chemical Enginerr, Petroleum Engineer or Software Engineer/Developer?

I work for an Oilfield Services company. We provide survices to oil companies and oil exploration companies but don't actually either produce oil or search/drill for it. On one comparison web site these were the only real options, neither quite right.

You can tell that I'm bored today :)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insura ... ob-picker/

There's being less specific and then there's lying. You can be more generic with your job title and it can save you a bit of money. If you said you're a Data Processor when you're a Mining Consultant they could void your insurance in a claim. But if you said you were a Computer Programmer when you're a Web Developer I doubt they'd see a problem as it is a form of programming and you are using a computer.

Going off the MSE job comparison, If a Chemical Engineer was paying £1,000 insurance, a Software Engineer would pay £1,004.50.

Just find the lowesr one that in it's basic level says what you do and go with that :)

Just find the lowesr one that in it's basic level says what you do and go with that :)

This, as long as it's not stretching the truth too much.

I'm a plumber by trade, but spend most of my time these days project managing. That said, it's my own company and so I put down Company Director as my job title.

Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know what the insurance companies consider to be the highest risk proffession possible and the lowest purely from a car insurance point of view. Vicar or a nun would probably be in the low risk bracket??

Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know what the insurance companies consider to be the highest risk proffession possible and the lowest purely from a car insurance point of view. Vicar or a nun would probably be in the low risk bracket??

both vicar and nun were higher than a teacher on the list i had

i think working in media apparently has high premiums. journalists are high up as well

Professional sports people are one of the highest risk, to the point that a lot simply won't cover them....

No matter how many times I correct my insurance company, they insist that I am a Royal Marine.

Seemingly, their database doesnt cover Merchant Navy so they go for what they think is nearest. :bang:

No matter how many times I correct my insurance company, they insist that I am a Royal Marine.

Seemingly, their database doesnt cover Merchant Navy so they go for what they think is nearest. :bang:

you're in the marines now :lol:

I'd vote for Software Engineer tbh. What is your official job title?

That is where it gets intesting. Job title is Senior Software Engineer, but I have absolutely no software qualifications. The job primarily requires domain knowledge and if the code happens to be reasonably well written then so much the better. :)

That is where it gets intesting. Job title is Senior Software Engineer, but I have absolutely no software qualifications. The job primarily requires domain knowledge and if the code happens to be reasonably well written then so much the better. :)

What software are you using? If you are writing programmes then you must surely be a Software Engineer qualifications or not. Equally you shouldnt get the job title Senior Software Engineer unless you have about 3+yrs actually hand cranking code.

Sounds like someone wanted your expertise and to justify the cost you had to be made a Senior position. I've had this happen a few times where by job title is actually a bit above what I do but due to domain knowledge it was the only way they could get my rate/salary past the bean counters ;)

whats wrong with just writing engineer,

i only put teacher down, i don't add all the subjects i do or can teach, etc, the only time it would change is if i was a head teacher. i would still put plain teacher even if i was a HOD or SLT.

They're not interested in what you're qualified to do, the perceived risk comes from the trade you're employed in.

You might be a qualified rocket scientist, but if you're spending a month on the bins, then as far as your insurance company is concerned, you're a bin man.

What software are you using? If you are writing programmes then you must surely be a Software Engineer qualifications or not. Equally you shouldnt get the job title Senior Software Engineer unless you have about 3+yrs actually hand cranking code.

Sounds like someone wanted your expertise and to justify the cost you had to be made a Senior position. I've had this happen a few times where by job title is actually a bit above what I do but due to domain knowledge it was the only way they could get my rate/salary past the bean counters ;)

I've been cranking code for engineering applications on and off for in Fortran, C, C++ and C# (plus others that I'm too embarassed to mention) for about 25 years so Software Engineer it is then :teeth:

I seem to remember that a professional diver used to be one of the highest risk professions :)