Is the valet key waterproof?

Leeroy

[quote="Wrap it in a waterproof bag??

EDIT]

I have one of these, the material seems very durable but i'd still be tempted tp wrap the key in something before popping it in just to elimante any sharp edges.

The come in a few different sizes too and can be bought from any outdoor shop for around that price.

There's what looks like a microchip in it. Definitely not waterproof as you can prise the chip out.

Pete

Bugger, I've had keys previously that you can get wet and it's really handy for surfing - looks like it's waterproof bag time or sandy burial then :lol:

Bury it in the sand :lol:

+1!!! Just find a quiet speck, bury it and put a little marker above it.....................don't be surprised if you get back to the car and find that some chav crab as nicked your wallet though :lol:

I have a coded lock box with a magnet attached.

I place key in the box, then clamp to underneath of whatever car I've gone in.

I generally surf at quiet locations, so there isn't anyone around to watch where I have stuck it.

There's what looks like a microchip in it. Definitely not waterproof as you can prise the chip out.

Pete

Bugger, I've had keys previously that you can get wet and it's really handy for surfing - looks like it's waterproof bag time or sandy burial then :lol:

Well, apparently one of the undocumented features is that the valet key should switch the alarm off when opening the door, mine doesn't so it must have been submerged at some time or the chip is damaged. The problem is that I don't see how the chip in the valet key can be powered up, no battery in there :shrug:

Pete

The chip thing is a passive transponder. Then you turn the key in the ignition there is a coil near the barrel which transmits a signal. The transponder picks these up in its tiny coil and uses the electricity generated to to transmit a code back to the car to disable the imobiliser.

As for water damage? the small transponder package is encapsulate so should be water tight (you can see this if you remove the cover from your other key), however I would not risk it in salt water.

The technology is the same as the passive key fobs that you hold against a small wall mounted panel next to a door, widely used for the lobby door in flats, apartments and offices.

How about a short section of cycle inner tube, glued at one end and a food bag clip at the other. :lol:

Both of my keys are identical and have the buttons on them. Did all cars originally come with one normal key and one valet key?

Should be 3 keys I believe.

So someone somewhere has a key to my car :drive1

Probably... but they can't get in your glove box! :thumbs::lol:

The waterproof pouches look good, like this one .... http://store.magicseaweed.com/Aquapac-K ... tem/13571/

And you get a free car key, a tenner and a credit card, awesome.

The other option might be to get a key blank cut which doesn't have a transponder, then leave the main keys in the car. Admittedly you'd have to leave the alarm off which isn't ideal :thumbdown:

Actually, to ensure the car is alarmed, could you ;

a) lock the car/set alarm with the proper key

B) throw the keys in the glove-box, close the door

c) go surfing with your freshly cut key 'blank'

d) come ashore and unlock with the 'blank', setting off the alarm

e) Grab the proper key and turn off the alarm?

f) Enjoy those awesome Cornish coast roads B)

The lockboxes worry me a bit. And the thought of thieving cornish chav crabs getting hold of my keys scares me witless :lol: