Bridgestones ?

Viper

just got my Zed on saturday and im going to fit some new tyres, just wondering what the cencus of opinion is on the Potenza's any they any good or should a pay a bit more and get a stickier brand ? as it will be mainly dry weather use only

I am still on Bridgestones myslef but generally feeling appears to be they are a bit cack!

Have a search in tyres as there are quite a few people running other brands. Falcon 452, Toyo T1-R, Goodyear Eagle F1 all seem to get good write up's and most are cheaper than you would get the Bridgestones for.

General "feelings" can cost you money.... :dry:

Do some internet searching where you can find comparisons. Dont be a lemming and follow the advice of likes and dislikes of tyre brands.

I like marmite and Jam, do you? Get my drift. :shrug:

£230 ish for bridgestones or £130ish for a budget range which will last nearly as long. Falkens seem to be a choice of many who obtain some 10K from a set.

I am no tyre expert but you can easily be swayed into other peoples likes and dislikes, at the end of the day its your money and your choice.

Internet searching is an eye opener. :thumbs:

I have bridgestones and have never had any issues with them. :thumbs:

Bridgestones are excellent tyres. The re040's require heat in them to be sticky and not great in the wet. The re050a's are a bit better. The sidewalls are very stiff which makes the drive a bit more precise but this does add to road noise. Michelin pilot supersports seem to be the best rated. The michelin ps3's are not so good and are usually mistaken for being upgrades to ps2's which they actually aren't.

Plenty of info if you search on tyres :thumbs:

There is an entire sub section of the forum dedicated to tyres.

Have a good read through, there are some good reviews.

People and tyres are generally one of varying opinions. Everyone likes what they like.

I preferred Vredesteins, but I know people who hate them.

There is an entire sub section of the forum dedicated to tyres.

Have a good read through, there are some good reviews.

People and tyres are generally one of varying opinions. Everyone likes what they like.

I preferred Vredesteins, but I know people who hate them.

i've heard alot about the vredesteins aswell and had lots of people talking about them at lakez. I think the tread pattern looks the business aswell

As others said, full section on tyres. It depends on your driving style. If you just potter around maybe WOT on an occasional straight then falkens are probably best for you, however.. if you like spirited driving and or track work i'd go for something stiffer, bridgestones or as Neil said the Vred's seem to have excellent reviews for such a cheap tyre. Everyones different though!

I have the RE40's and I never had an issue with them until the really heavy rain we had this week. The suddenly very greasy roads were a bit of an issue and I did have a few "moments." I still have a few thousand left in my set though.

Alot of people here and even on the Z4 forum rate the 452's but they are still a budget tyre and i'd prefer to spend abit more and go for some RE050's, 452's are great on my sisters TDi Octavia estate though :thumbs:

thanks for the info ill do some research, more road noise off the newer Bridgestones isnt a good thing for me, im looking into dynomat'ing the boot to quiet that down a bit

the car currently has part worn vredsteins on the rear, and duff Bridgestones up front

I have the RE40's and I never had an issue with them until the really heavy rain we had this week. The suddenly very greasy roads were a bit of an issue and I did have a few "moments." I still have a few thousand left in my set though.

In those conditions, after a long dry spell, any tyre will struggle. If they're the same after a few days of wet conditions then maybe there's something amiss.

• 3 weeks later...

well i went for bridgestones in the end off Camskills, got the wheels refurbed in 'Hi-Power Silver' slightly lighter and brighter than stock, just waiting for the new Ferodo pads to arrive now. Might get the Z centres

DSC03684.jpg

Sorry I didnt saw this thread earlier. The 050As scuderia or specific for the zed are excellent tyres. However if you want the best out there there is only one. Pilot supersport at well over 1300 quid for all 4 corners and far better than mps2 and 050. If you ask me it's not worth the money...and I paid the money ;)

after 4000miles I got a flat rear and didn't quite notice for about 2 miles. Cut a long story short they cost me a further 800 quid for 2 new rears. Never again. I can live with a bit less grip.

Ps performance wise however they are utterly superb. Almost similar grip to the 888s and excellent in the wet too. Very very soft sidewalls so steering not as precise as on the stones but very quiet. Only problem is that getting the car to lose grip now is a bit scary when dry ;)

Just had 4 new Falkens fitted at Camskill £470 all in so I'm happy with that, I have had the Falkens fitted on my Leon cupra for about 3 yrs so have lots of confidence in the tyre,and as I'm in cumbria find they perform very well in the wet :clap:

Falkens seem to be a choice of many who obtain some 10K from a set.

Lools like many have a rather heavy foot. I got 20k plus on my last set of Falkens. Any they were still legal when I changed them :teeth:

I went through 8 sets in 13 months, try harder ;):D

Just fitted RE050A's to the back of my car to match the fronts and they are easily the best tyre Ive used for grip out back, Im really impressed. Not really used them much in the wet yet, but if you arent going to be drifting or doing burnouts then they are worth the extra over the Toyos or FK452's :thumbs:

Would also add that although they are undoubtedly the best, IMO the difference between Michelins and Bridestones isnt worth the extra money. :)

There's a world of difference between the RE040 and RE050, mine had 40's on when I got it and they were sheite, although to be fair they were pretty worn. I like some slip at the back but they were ridiculous, the 50's are nice and progressive.

re040s are fantastic as they can take a serious amount of heat before melting but to get them upto temp it takes a fair amount of work.

Pzero rosso's wore out on the rear in less than 3k miles.

PS2's are fantastic but wear quickly.

I have re050a's on the rear and i don't really like them except in the dry. Very slippy in the wet. I do have the traction control of alot more now and like to get my tail out every now and then :lol:

I think next time im gonna try out some dunlop tyres which captain was recommending

re040s are fantastic as they can take a serious amount of heat before melting but to get them upto temp it takes a fair amount of work.

PS2's are fantastic but wear quickly.

I have re050a's on the rear and i don't really like them except in the dry. Very slippy in the wet. I do have the traction control of alot more now and like to get my tail out every now and then :lol:

As above!

Neil the 050s are not great in the damp or slightly wet unless warm. They very good on wet and very wet. Plus I found that they are very resistant to aquaplaning too :)

The ultimate however........pilot supersport....888s rebranded....and they can take a he'll lot of hammering ;)