TCS vs Talent....

slimjim

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean get better tyres John? Wider crap tyres will spin up too :lol: (yes I am saying that in jest, I know there is a balance to be struck!)

i dont think you can buy bad tyres in my sizes...?

Really? :shrug:

Just for ref, 4 laps from last Monday going as fast as possible round Keevil.

TCS off and throttle controller at SP3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9hORZw_Zs4

The M3 Evo followed me all the way and said there was LOTS of sideways movement, more than comes across in the vid.

You have drive very badly (see lap 3 :lol: ) to lose it in a Z in the dry with the traction off. Even then it's recoverable.

In the wet I leave it off as well but you do need to be very progressive and TBH I wouldn't if I was doing a long journey. I rarely drive more than 50 miles at a time so I'm always aware it's "off".

I agree to turn the TCS off at all times ,wet or not. To intrusive IMO I've got a JDM so they might be different but had to drive it like a granny for it not to light up, even on uneven surfaces coming onto a highway the bloody thing would light up and behave irratic. What really made me decide to put it off always was when I was entering a roundabout (bigish one) at sherrywood industrial estate outside of Dublin (if you ever been driving in roundabouts in Dublin you'll know what I'm on about) saw a car coming out from the DELL office and felt that I'd easily make it through the roundabout, coming into the roundabout I looked again and saw that this dude was belting it around (like everyone seems to be doing over here), so needed to give it a bit of power and the TCS light flashed, car lost ALL power and shugged out in the roundabout (freaky) was almost hit by the oncoming car in the process. THIS wouldn't have happened with it off, a slight wheel spin (POSSIBLY) and then adapt power accordingly and easy avoided the stop at the next junction getting grief from the guy that almost rammed me. He would have been in the wrong btw if he'd hit me (off topic but still). And this wasn't anywhere near dangerous until TCS destroyed my pants :lol::blush: It's very possible that my TCS isnt 100% but instead of fixing it I rather drive with it off and adapt my driving style to whatever condition there is, people need to get trained up to handle the power these cars provide and drive with the head. It's all about giving power nice and slowly and not upset things to much, tried driving last winter with the TCS on in the snow (late December with loads of snow) That again proved it useless, couldn't get anywhere. Off TCS and spin a bit to get going and then camly move on :teeth: I can't provide input on the LSD replacement that I've got since I've not really driven it properly since I got it installed. Don't think it's that expensive mod to be over looked though. Hoping it be well worth the monies I spent on it. (got a feeling that I'll need to retrain my brain driving the Z once I get her back though :evil: )

Going around a race track on a motorcycle does help to understand smooth power delivery, nothing worse then a high side on a bike. :wave:

As a side note, people with dodgy TCS's might have crappy tires or to high pressure or even @*!# camber settings. I had neither but not wide enough :thumbs:

A couple of years back on the Sunday Wales drive we had an experienced 350z member write is car off in the late afternoon wet conditions, this was allegedly after he told someone that he never drove with the TCS on at the last meeting point. A few miles later his car was written off and both occupants were lucky to escape serious injury. :) That particular accident happened on the exit of a roundabout and was always put down to the fact that the TCS was off ;)

At the end of the day we all have big dicks until we run out of talent :lol:

That particular accident happened on the exit of a roundabout and was always put down to the fact that the TCS was off ;)

Sorry dude but TCS being off is never to blame for an accident. Driving faster than the conditions allow is .......... ;)

As I said earlier, theres another TC system under your right foot ;)

That particular accident happened on the exit of a roundabout and was always put down to the fact that the TCS was off ;)

Sorry dude but TCS being off is never to blame for an accident. Driving faster than the conditions allow is .......... ;)

While this is true, I get the feeling a lot of the guys that turn TCS off clearly arent the Stig like drivers they think they are, as we have unfortunately see far too many times :surrender

Should also be noted that there was a fair few other cars came off that rounderbout just fine, myself included, with no hints of TCS kicking in, so as you suggest driving properly its fine, but clearly some people cant control the car quite how they think they can.

I'm fortunate in that the 370z TCS isnt half as intrusive as the 350z's.

You know what i meant ;) The driver clearly thought he had the talent, but when he ran out of it a device was not there to save the day and the car and threw a cloud over what had been a superb day out. :)

Infact its something we advise having switched on during drive outs if only to protect others if someone oversteps the mark.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of a thread revival here, but recently I fitted spacers (Eibach 20/25mm) and have noticed that the TCS appears to cut the power more accelerating out of corners on my '07 313. I'm wondering if all the people above that have mentioned that the TCS seems obtrusive have spacers fitted and those that say it never interferes are standard?

A bit of a thread revival here, but recently I fitted spacers (Eibach 20/25mm) and have noticed that the TCS appears to cut the power more accelerating out of corners on my '07 313. I'm wondering if all the people above that have mentioned that the TCS seems obtrusive have spacers fitted and those that say it never interferes are standard?

Unless the road is silky smooth like on a track the spacers will ruin your ride mate full stop. The car may look good but handling and comfort suffer with the spacers.

And to dowcras comment above the difference in traction with the nismo LSD is beyond belief. And the cars handling is more predictable and extremely controllable. However it messes the tcs so much that the car can not be driven safely with it on unless it's fitted with a racelogic or equivalent traction control.

As for the original post the tcs didn't manage to save me from aquaplaning and writing off my maserati...and that was more nannying than the zeds!!!

If I hadnt waited for the tyres to go down close to the legal limit she would still be with me.

Ps i was doing the speed limit of 70 on a dual carriageway too.

I would put driver, tyres, suspension, brakes before the tcs. But that's only my opinion.

Car makers make cars for everybody which means from a 17 year old boy racer to my 80 year old granma with 2 titanium knees! Tcs is a life saver :lol:

Unless the road is silky smooth like on a track the spacers will ruin your ride mate full stop. The car may look good but handling and comfort suffer with the spacers.

I haven't noticed too much difference in handling with spacers on excluding the TCS issue, turn in seems ever so slightly less responsive but barely noticeable.

I haven't noticed too much difference in handling with spacers on excluding the TCS issue, turn in seems ever so slightly less responsive but barely noticeable.

I didn't at first too mainly cos I had some kw v1 coilovers fitted at the same time. But I ve tried with and without spacers with everyday tyres and 888s on track and on the road. I was sorry to admit that it does ruin the ride. I was very skeptical at first...there was a thread somewhere too :)

Cheeky update on this, as I went out for two sessions at Donington this weekend. Im running 255/40/18 on the front and 275/35/19 on the rear, both with matched RE050A tyres (someone tell Ekona, quick ;))

Before anyone says anything my TCS is probably super sensitive due to the non standard radiuses. :)

After 2 corners I was already having problems with the stability control firing the front brakes on me, it was actually causing them to lock and threw the car off line. I managed to drive round it for the most part but it seriously affected my enjoyment and Id argue the stability and safety of the car, bad news. :thumbdown:

Got back in and pulled all of the ABS plugs and got the slip light to come up, went back out and the difference was astonishing. I only plugged them back in so the missus could drive it home. :D

Id also add that Ive run spacers on loads of different cars and the Zed was the only one that was adversly affected by it. :)

Cheeky update on this, as I went out for two sessions at Donington this weekend. Im running 255/40/18 on the front and 275/35/19 on the rear, both with matched RE050A tyres (someone tell Ekona, quick ;))

Before anyone says anything my TCS is probably super sensitive due to the non standard radiuses. :)

After 2 corners I was already having problems with the stability control firing the front brakes on me, it was actually causing them to lock and threw the car off line. I managed to drive round it for the most part but it seriously affected my enjoyment and Id argue the stability and safety of the car, bad news. :thumbdown:

Got back in and pulled all of the ABS plugs and got the slip light to come up, went back out and the difference was astonishing. I only plugged them back in so the missus could drive it home. :D

Id also add that Ive run spacers on loads of different cars and the Zed was the only one that was adversly affected by it. :)

So you turned off ABS and TCS? You crazy *******! ;)

You may face the wrath of the anti fun police!

But I had matched tyres ;):D

Realised my explanation was a bit rubbish, I basically pulled off the cover for the brake fluid, and you can see three connectors on top of each other, each with an ovalish plug.

I pulled all three of these - top and bottom were easy, middle one needed pliers. You know youve done it right as the TC off and SLIP lights come up on the dash after its been done :thumbs:

Will try get a pic later :)

But I had matched tyres ;):D

Realised my explanation was a bit rubbish, I basically pulled off the cover for the brake fluid, and you can see three connectors on top of each other, each with an ovalish plug.

I pulled all three of these - top and bottom were easy, middle one needed pliers. You know youve done it right as the TC off and SLIP lights come up on the dash after its been done :thumbs:

Will try get a pic later :)

I am gonna give it a go too....does it deactivate tcs and abs and the stupod stability control?

I'm just off to buy some Kleenex shares as the wannabe Stigs find the limits of their ability :drive1

More seriously, for anyone who has only recently taken on a 300bhp RWD for the first time and not had track experience the ZED can bite you even with the traction aids on if you over indulge with the loud peddle ;)

I'm just off to buy some Kleenex shares as the wannabe Stigs find the limits of their ability :drive1

More seriously, for anyone who has only recently taken on a 300bhp RWD for the first time and not had track experience the ZED can bite you even with the traction aids on if you over indulge with the loud peddle ;)

Hope you ll never need tissues for me Colin :teeth:

But you are right about the zed...and the aids and the 300bhp and the lot. It can be dangerous.

However, it may solve loads of problems for people like me who like a hardcore track day. On a dry track day I get very frustated from the feel I get every time a wheel brakes by itself and my brakes overheat for no reason. Or the tyres, or the coilovers. It's only knowledge sharing that doesn't mean we say do it and kill yourselves round a roundabout :blush:

We are not stig wannabes...just enthusiasts who like to enjoy their sports cars a bit more than just posing in it. It's a very very expensive hobby and I am sure the zed is not the right car for wannabes...it's more for the dedicated ;)

But Moreton had to re-stock the last time you were there!! :lol:

But Moreton had to re-stock the last time you were there!! :lol:

Suppose you run out in your room too :p:lol:

However, it may solve loads of problems for people like me who like a hardcore track day. On a dry track day I get very frustated from the feel I get every time a wheel brakes by itself and my brakes overheat for no reason. Or the tyres, or the coilovers. It's only knowledge sharing that doesn't mean we say do it and kill yourselves round a roundabout :blush:

We are not stig wannabes...just enthusiasts who like to enjoy their sports cars a bit more than just posing in it. It's a very very expensive hobby and I am sure the zed is not the right car for wannabes...it's more for the dedicated ;)

Nicely put my friend, very nicely put. In the first session, at least for the first few laps I was being very, very careful as the sudden change in balance would certainly be enough to send you spinning into a barrier if you were at the limit - a couple of the guys behind me commented how they werent too keen on passing as they kept seeing my car shimmy and clouds of (tyre) smoke coming from the front! :headhurt:

The second session was totally different, with some nice 4 wheel drifts and a bit of movement under braking, and is the first time Ive realised quite how good the car is - I dont think you can reach that point with the nanny aids left on, I really dont, and as Ive said elsewhere my opinion is that you are denying yourself something if you do. :)

Sure, its not for the average man on the street, and my misuss drives everywhere with everything turned on, but on the track its a different story.