Am i being unresonable??

SteveRS

A full original Nismo plus painting I'd say is knocking on the door of 2k. In hindsight I wish I bought a 2005 GT spec at say 11k 2 years ago. With the 5k I'd save on purchasing a vehicle I could do pretty much anything. Considering I've spent a heck load more I could have gone twin turbo or SC and bodykit. (taking into account I paid 16k for mine)

Seriously if you have the vision of modifying you'll save more money by getting the cheaper tax version and personally a better engine than the Revup. It's great but I could have done a load more had I not been so greedy and wanted a newer low mileage. Also consider depreciation. A car at £16k will lose me more money than one at £9k. (for instance)

If you want to mod and bodywork is first on the list then potentially power I'd go for a cheaper based car. :thumbs:

I hear genuine Nismo kits are hard to come by these days? An older model does have its pros, for example the road tax. But the interior looks nicer on the facelift model and i prefer the headlights and taillights.

You say older ones are better to mod engine wise, why is this?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are contemplating the normal mods, CAI, Plenum Spacer, Exhaust, De-cats, Y-pipe etc you'll gain better results on the Dyno. Earlier DE models i.e. Pre Revup show better gains than that of Revup. Have a chat withark @ Abbey he knows the best suited performance mods.

If you are planning on FI or after adding NA mods you still want more power and wanted to gain extra Power via FI I'd be looking at getting the older model.

If FI is not your plan then go for the Revup.

All depends on budgets at the end of the day.

If you are contemplating the normal mods, CAI, Plenum Spacer, Exhaust, De-cats, Y-pipe etc you'll gain better results on the Dyno. Earlier DE models i.e. Pre Revup show better gains than that of Revup. Have a chat withark @ Abbey he knows the best suited performance mods.

If you are planning on FI or after adding NA mods you still want more power and wanted to gain extra Power via FI I'd be looking at getting the older model.

If only i knew what all this meant :headhurt: I've never done any engine mods to any of my previous cars, im new to the engine mod side of things, i know absolutely nothing :lol:

When i finally get another zed, I would like the nismo exhaust, if i go for a pre facelift i will be changing the headlights and rear lights for the face lift ones. De-cats do these get through the mot?

If only i knew what all this meant :headhurt: I've never done any engine mods to any of my previous cars, im new to the engine mod side of things, i know absolutely nothing :lol:

When i finally get another zed, I would like the nismo exhaust, if i go for a pre facelift i will be changing the headlights and rear lights for the face lift ones. De-cats do these get through the mot?

- CAI - Cold Air Intake.....unless done properly with snorkles and whatnot usually ends up making the car slower as it ends up sucking hot air in from the engine bay.

- Plenum Spacer - plenum chamber slopes to accommodate the engine under the bonnet leaving the front 2 cylinders starved of oxygen. The spacer lifts the plenum to improve the airflow.

- Exhaust De-cats, Y-Pipe etc speak for themselves. Decats will NOT get through an MOT (unless you have a very friendly and bung happy MOT test centre)

- Revup - I think was the new styleee engine (post 06??) that was better but as Wasso said less receptive to the tuning bits mentioned above.

- FI - Forced Induction (turbo/supercharging). Wasso is saying if you ain't going for one of these options then get the Revup engine.

Thanks Ricey, that makes a bit more sense now. Unfortunately i've never met a bung happy MOT test centre so i might have to do without the de-cats.

I think i want the facelift post 06 version, the interior is a lot more appealing to me. Just got to find one................

Sorry I should have been things a little easier on the eyes lol

Thanks Ricey spot on. Basically if you want simple mods and don't have the urge for power go for the facelift 06+

To be fair the Uprev (remap) is a very worthy mod.

To note if you wanted to de-cat legally you'll have to get a Motordyne XYZ Pipe (y-pipe) this has a single race cat inside so that you can run de-cats. I have this on stock exhaust and sound perfect. No drone, no high exhaust costs and when you press the loud pedal it sounds just right.

Thanks Wasso, that y-pipe could be an option for me. Has anyone made what can be considered the "perfect" exhaust sytem for the zed?

Might be a stupid question but can the pre face lift centre console be changed over for the facelift one? :wacko:

To note if you wanted to de-cat legally you'll have to get a Motordyne XYZ Pipe (y-pipe) this has a single race cat inside so that you can run de-cats.

That's not a de-cat though ;)

It's a close as you're going to get instead of using High Flow Cats. :bleh:

A word of caution from my recent MOT - the inspector said that as of next year if a car was manufactured with Cats on it had to have them to pass MOT irrelevant of weather it was below emissions or not. I'm not sure if that makes any odds I know mine won't get close to a pass with de-cats so I would have to swap them for MOT if I was keeping them but I'm swapping for Berks HFC's when I get the UPrev done.

Just thought I'd mention it as the inspector thought it worth telling me.

Might be a stupid question but can the pre face lift centre console be changed over for the facelift one? :wacko:

Simple answer is no it can't :thumbdown:

Yes you can , R35LEE does a swap over service at a price.

In regards to the Nismo exhaust, unless you are a total brand whore, there are better and cheaper options, like a Milltek for about £300 less than a Nismo, which is around the £1200 mark.

Maybe its best that you just get a Zed first and live with it for a bit first and see how it feels to you, and then get yourself to some club meets and see if you feel the urge to mod yours at all.

Cos once you start, it's gonna be hard to stop.

Simple answer is no it can't :thumbdown:

Yes you can , R35LEE does a swap over service at a price.

In regards to the Nismo exhaust, unless you are a total brand whore, there are better and cheaper options, like a Milltek for about £300 less than a Nismo, which is around the £1200 mark.

Maybe its best that you just get a Zed first and live with it for a bit first and see how it feels to you, and then get yourself to some club meets and see if you feel the urge to mod yours at all.

Cos once you start, it's gonna be hard to stop.

Good to know that the interior can be swapped over. Unfortunately i have been known to be a bit of a brand whore :D but i would also consider the cheaper options depending on the budget at the time.

I've owned a zed before i had to sell it this time last year after work looked like it was drying up.(never actually did, one of my worse mistakes) It was an 06 Azure Coupe with full nismo kit, GT pack, Sat nav, the lot. Hence why im looking for another facelift. I didn't do any mods but always wanted to change the exhaust and fit lowering springs.

A word of caution from my recent MOT - the inspector said that as of next year if a car was manufactured with Cats on it had to have them to pass MOT irrelevant of weather it was below emissions or not. I'm not sure if that makes any odds I know mine won't get close to a pass with de-cats so I would have to swap them for MOT if I was keeping them but I'm swapping for Berks HFC's when I get the UPrev done.

Just thought I'd mention it as the inspector thought it worth telling me.

Hmmm.. i`ll have to check up on that then. How I thought it was at the moment, was any car made after 1992(ish) had to have a cat. Anything before then, didnt, regardless of whether it came fitted with one from the factory. So, if you had a 1990 car with a cat, you could throw the cat away and be okay for your MOT. But, if you had a post 1992 car, you`d have to re-fit the cat before each MOT else it would automatically fail.

Of course this only applies to Petrol cars. Diesel cars dont need cats / particle filters for MOT which saved me a few quid when the cat on my golf tdi went the other year - i just welded a bit of pipe on it in place and the MOT man was more than happy.

So...............The guy finally emailed me back and has now replaced the 2 rear tyres and has a 12 month MOT! He said he will be putting it back on the market for £12000, but will take £11250 for a quick sale. I don't think he realises it's a buyers market at the mo.

What to do..............? :shrug:

I think he will have to drop it back down to £11k ANYWAY....

Like you said, buyers market at the mo... I would see how it goes.

Im sure he will get back to you once he has some tire kickers who offer him £8k!

I'm yet to email him back with my reply, £11250 is more than I would pay. It looks like I'm his only potential buyer as he keeps coming back to me.

Exactly... B)

Plus, you still have to stump up the £500-ish road tax for it... :yuck:

It is £460

It's your choice and I don't want to cast a spell, but personally I would still walk away. I just don't get the vibe he's taken good care of the car and hasn't maintained it with the same live you and I would give. I could be talking complete crap and the car is superb. But you know when you just get that gut feeling.

If you are really interested as I can see you still have something for that car. Why not ask for 6 months road tax and I'll take it for £11k - final offer.

You can see he wants rid of the car, so he may be tempted?

It is £460

It's your choice and I don't want to cast a spell, but personally I would still walk away. I just don't get the vibe he's taken good care of the car and hasn't maintained it with the same live you and I would give. I could be talking complete crap and the car is superb. But you know when you just get that gut feeling.

If you are really interested as I can see you still have something for that car. Why not ask for 6 months road tax and I'll take it for £11k - final offer.

You can see he wants rid of the car, so he may be tempted?

Im looking at it in the way i would be getting an 06 nismo for a reasonable price. It does need a little TLC which i have allowed in my budget to spend about £1k on putting the bodywork right, it needs a new handle on the inside of the drivers side as its scratched. The alloys i will sell as a refurb project (not sure how much i would get for them) It has a good service history. Nobody wants to spend money on a car they have just spent there hard earned cash on but it could turn out to be a bit of a bargain.................. :shrug:

So the £11k offer went back in today, which he declined again saying the MOT, service, tyres, had been done and didn't want to drop the price again. These things are all essential when selling, i dont get it he is driving a hard bargain! He said he thinks £11250 is a good price for the car. :wacko:

I replied and told him i understand that the essential works have been carried out but there is still the issue with the bodywork which is going to be costly, and the fact that the road tax is due in 1 Month. I made it clear to him that taking all this into consideration £11k is my best and final offer. :boxing: He keeps contacting me, he obviously wants to sell it to me but just keeps trying to claw that extra bit of cash.

No reply as yet! The bloke is bloody crazy for the sake of £250 he could have sold the car, which he no longer uses and could have a nice sum of money in his sky rocket!!! :doh: