Suzanne the LS3 6.2 V8! Caution very long build thread....

Wasso

Well if it makes any difference I'll happily chuck you the keys to mine ;)

Torque really is an awful lot of fun, isn't it? What does yours rev to btw?

Thing is we wouldn't get anywhere as we'd never be waved through at junctions? :teeth:

Torque is actually quite scary to be honest! The Diff is very much needed to put the power down in current form, as well as upgrading diff bushes etc. Some wider rubber on the rear should also help out a little.

From my dyno chart I'd say 6,800 with peak torque at 5k and HP peaking at 6.2k - everything is just down low.... although once you get to 4k the needle accelerates a lot faster!

I was also comparing the torque levels to a 2009 GTR, they're not far different and interestingly the LS has much greater levels of torque throughout 70% of the rev range, with the GTR dropping torque at 4k, where as the LS is still climbing. Okay there's a huge mechanical difference 2wd v 4wd and with a flappy box this is where the GTR shines without any shadow of doubt.

• Like 1

I think you must've been having a lot of fun in it as 18mpg is pretty poor for a LS3 they normally do a fair bit more than that in other cars like the VXR8 etc

Not really, Parkers suggest the average MPG for a C6 Corvette is 21 so there's not much of a difference to be totally honest, and yes there was hoonage involved, so had I been more conservative and just cruised, then I'm sure 21 is achievable.

Equally, again from Parkers the 2007-09 VXR8 is 18-20mpg!

Edited by Wasso

I spoke to a lot of owners as I very very nearly bought a LS3 VXR8 , most get mid 20's driven sensibly backed up by this thread http://www.pistonhea...c.asp?t=1320688

Parkers reckons 23mpg for my Jag and I'm easily getting 27

Sure, real life is totally different and if folk are getting more than quoted figures then it's a big result! I'll need to do a test based on conservative driving, but that's VERY hard to do at the moment! :lol:

Out the box 450bhp but the Torque is the fun part!

RPM / lb ft Torque

2k 325

3k 346

4k 369

5k 401

To put that into perspective you have 81% of your available torque at 2,000 rpm! This is purely out the box and after installing performance CAMS, work on the headers, downpipes, exhaust you can be easily looking at 550bhp and 525 lbft of torque.

The engine sits on exactly the same mounting points, and sits equally as low with the VQ. Yes it sits sufficiently further back, although presentation of the VQ versus LS I'd say the engine is more squat and therefore lower in height overall.

There are 3 fitting kits you can use for the LS. Silky and Fuelled Racing are the two popular kits. These will fit anything LS1,2 and 3. I believe the LS7, 9 and LSx will require custom mounts, although you're talking silly money for these engines (10k+).

Some impressive numbers. Should be a able to make far better use of the super long gearing that the Zed has, must be a 180mph car now!

Sounds like it mounts up nicely so no negative effects to the handling either.

Enjoy it!!

Out the box 450bhp but the Torque is the fun part!

RPM / lb ft Torque

2k 325

3k 346

4k 369

5k 401

To put that into perspective you have 81% of your available torque at 2,000 rpm! This is purely out the box and after installing performance CAMS, work on the headers, downpipes, exhaust you can be easily looking at 550bhp and 525 lbft of torque.

The engine sits on exactly the same mounting points, and sits equally as low with the VQ. Yes it sits sufficiently further back, although presentation of the VQ versus LS I'd say the engine is more squat and therefore lower in height overall.

There are 3 fitting kits you can use for the LS. Silky and Fuelled Racing are the two popular kits. These will fit anything LS1,2 and 3. I believe the LS7, 9 and LSx will require custom mounts, although you're talking silly money for these engines (10k+).

Some impressive numbers. Should be a able to make far better use of the super long gearing that the Zed has, must be a 180mph car now!

Sounds like it mounts up nicely so no negative effects to the handling either.

Enjoy it!!

I ditched my CD009 to take on the TR6060 gearbox, and to be fair its likely to handle a lot more power than the CD. The C6 Corvette which was the donor engine was limited to 190mph, I don't plan on being wreck less enough to even head into that territory unless it's an air field or an autobahn. Although I think body parts will be lost before that speed is reached.

To be fair I though the front end would be sloppy on the corners, and to be honest it's hard to tell the difference.

Fair play to you mate. Have been flicking through this thread over the course of it but don't think Iv commented until now. Glad to hear it's all worked out in the end

After living with a hybrid since last year or so, with fake v8 noises through the speakers when the heart desires, a real v8 sounds immense

Enjoy it mate, hope it's worth the wait

• Like 1

You need to get yourself to a Vmax200 day now, my friend. As a one off cost it'd be worth it to see how you run with the big boys.

I can tell you now, they would all have massive advantages with technology. Launch control would eat me alive. The only tech I now have is ABS and electric windows! It's so easy to light the rear tyres, from slowly accelerating to loosing traction is just few mm of throttle travel. A standard C6 Vette 0-60 (Auto) is 4 seconds. That alone tells you it's not competitive enough to ride with the big boys. If you had launch control and better gearing I'd give it a go.

• Like 1

LC means nothing, they've tested both LC at the bottom of the run and rolling start taking the corner as quick as possible, makes no difference if Veyron or FlF or GT-R.

What size and type of tyres you running? I still reckon once you get past 1st you'd be fine, quite easy to get hooked up there.

LC means nothing, they've tested both LC at the bottom of the run and rolling start taking the corner as quick as possible, makes no difference if Veyron or FlF or GT-R.

What size and type of tyres you running? I still reckon once you get past 1st you'd be fine, quite easy to get hooked up there.

Haven't got a clue, not looked at them in 2 years! Although I know they're only the best tyres ;) MPSS2. Currently 245 and 275, not sure on the profile. I will be sourcing replacements once the new wheels arrive, which I'm presuming will be 295 rear and 255 up front with 35 profile (I think that's what Bob said).

I ditched my CD009 to take on the TR6060 gearbox, and to be fair its likely to handle a lot more power than the CD. The C6 Corvette which was the donor engine was limited to 190mph, I don't plan on being wreck less enough to even head into that territory unless it's an air field or an autobahn. Although I think body parts will be lost before that speed is reached.

To be fair I though the front end would be sloppy on the corners, and to be honest it's hard to tell the difference.

I thought it would be a bell housing adapter to stick with stock 'box, fair play to swap out boxes too then with modded prop etc too. As you say makes sense to stick with a factory unit that was made to handle the engine from the start.

Don't blame you for not going there on a top speed run, nothing to really enjoy there and a lot to lose/break if something goes wrong! Knowing it'll do it should you ever want to will do eh. A few track days in it to just enjoy it and learn it would be far far more enjoyable and beneficial I'd say.

Good to hear the Z's chassis is still feeling good with the new (do I have to say "motor" now?) engine installed. When I've looked at some of the conversions to RB engine, huge cast iron lump sitting further forward I think it must ruin the handling. This seems more win win to me

PS I did try to flick though the many pages of this build to find all the pics and techy highlights that went into the conversion. If its not an absolute nightmare to do could you do a post with a few pics of the progress from VQ - LS? The more engineering, nuts and bolts of it all the better. Cheers

Edited by 350Butcher