Spark Plugs and Fitting costs??

brown7758

Im wondering what the average price is for Platinum spark plugs and fitting in a garage

(the one im going to is a main dealer)

ive been quoted £160 :wacko:

the Service receptionist said:-

''it must be a hard job as the labour is alot and there's 6 of them to do''

what experiences with the spark plugs have you's had??

Will

Well i just bought 8 sparks for my jag for £70 and they are NGK ones as well. fitting on my car requires undoing a few bolts to gain access to the coil packs etc then just undoing each one and replacing it.

about as difficult as scratching your arse. and similiar style of job on the 350Z

I've just had my spark plug changed and 4 tyres put on for £90 at TgM sport in Fleet. I did provide the plug (bought from ZMANALAX) and the tyres but still, thought it was a good deal.

Tom at TGM have done some work for me on the zed in the past aswell and I can thoroughly recommend them!

I've seen "first hand" how easy it is to replace the plugs. I'll be doing the same when I get hold of the ones I want at the price I want. Don't pay a garage it's throwing money down the drain.

You may need an extension bar for the (I think) 10pm socket which I believe holds the coil pack in place then get your spark plug socket and hey presto.

You will need to remove your air intake tube to gain better access to the right hand bank of plugs.

Oh and if you are going to take any tips. Do them one at a time so not to put the HT lead on the wrong plug. As we found out in Wales :thumbs:

Denso Iridium are the ones to go for, and are far superior to platinum and other ebay tat.

These are the best value plugs available in the market place today without a shadow of a doubt.

Best not to listen to the misinformed Will, as there judgement is clouded. :thumbdown:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=44399

Alex :)

NGK ebay tat :lol:

damn those small time japanese suppliers with their inferior tech ... oh hang on a second.. aren't NGK one of if not the biggest supplies of spark plugs in the world :shrug:

thanks 4 the replies, i think my minds made up in the 'Am I throwing cash away' debate im having in my head..

think i may :pmzmanalex: as the extra couple a quid is worth keeping the trade in the forum :p

£50 delivered is a bargain ;)

Very wise choice Will :thumbs:

It's not too hard, just a bit fiddly. I'm doing it and I know nothing about cars. I already removed the old ones and I'm just waiting on the replacements, hopefully I'll still remember where everything went.

as far as ive been led to believe, putting the HT leads in the correct places is the problem with all off :p

ill be doing one at a time as im a mong :p:thumbs:

did you remove your strut brace?

It's not too hard, just a bit fiddly. I'm doing it and I know nothing about cars. I already removed the old ones and I'm just waiting on the replacements, hopefully I'll still remember where everything went.

They will be with you today Danny as they were shipped Thursday. :thumbs:

I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. It was a bit fiddly getting the coil packs out as there are a lot of wiring looms in the way.

I removed some of the support brackets on the looms so that they could be moved out of the way, still a bit tight though in places, especially the plugs at the rear of the engine. I only removed the engine cover and air intake tube for access and left the strut bar on. I used a magnetic plug wrench designed for 10mm plugs with a 16mm hex nut. You will also need a fairly long extension as the plugs are deep. I used a 10" extension for most but needed to add a smaller one on in a couple of places for extra reach.

Took me about 3 hours to do as I've never changed plugs before but was worth it as I only had to pay £48 for the plugs and get the magnetic socket.

as far as ive been led to believe, putting the HT leads in the correct places is the problem with all off :p

ill be doing one at a time as im a mong :p:thumbs:

did you remove your strut brace?

Unfortunately I didn't know about the HT leads until after :p

I did make sure they were positioned by their respective coil pack though so hopefully they won't get mixed up. They should really as there's not much slack on the cables so it should be difficult to mix them up.

I left the strut brace on. It's not a major issue, it's the cables that cause the problems but you just remove one or two of their brackets as someoen else pointed out.