Exhaust problem

glrnet

In November last year I had a new Milltek zorst fitted and it's been absolutely fine, until Wales. After about 60 miles on the Saturday I noticed a loud droning that seemed to transmit itself right through the car especially when changing down and no accelerator applied, the droning is more pronounced when stationary and the engine revved to about 2.5k. After some time while driving the noise stopped. Back at the hotel on Saturday afternoon I put the car up on a trolley jack (thanks Chris S) :thumbs: and could find nothing obviously loose.

On the Sunday the droning noise returned just before we did the Evo triangle and at that time it stopped again and then restarted by the time we stopped at Country Cooks. The car stood only for about ten minutes at Country Cooks and the noise did not reappear again on the way back to the hotel!!! It did not occur on the way home on the Monday but did appear again on Saturday this weekend just gone on the way to Port Solent, again after about 60 miles or so. it was still doing it when I arrived at Port Solent and I asked Zugara to have a quick look/listen while I revved the engine, without getting right under under the car he suspected the rear box, possibly baffles. The car stood for a good hour and a half and I dove home which is about 56 miles from Port Solent. You guessed .... NO NOISE!!!. Later that afternoon we drove to Maidenhead, again no noise, however it did appear again later in the evening after about 65 mile so so I think. Again it cooled down and the droning ceased :wacko::headhurt:

I haven't used the car since but I've crawled underneath today and found what I think might be the problem and I need someone more qualified than me to confirm my theory. Check out the picture below and see what you think, It's the rear box hanger and I don't think it's supposed to look like this, my guess is when it gets hot enough it becomes less stable and causes the drone which transmits itself along the length of the exhaust. Your opinions please gentlemen.

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any sensible comments, sp*rsmaddave... leave it :lol::lol::surrender:

That's what I meant, to me it looks split :shrug:

I cant see anything wrong with the hanger or rubber mount in the pic...... do you mean the gap in the middle of the rubber mount, is that not normal?

John

Cant remember what its meant to look like, but that does look split. Is the exhaust hanger now close enough to touch the frame? It looks like it in the pic. It could be moving under certain circumstances that then means it can touch the car rather than being isolated?

Zmanalex or £14.87 inc VAT from the stealership :

I'm pretty sure my rear hangers all have gaps in the middle (must check them)...

So anyone know where to get a few new ones??

John

Thanks Colin :thumbs: I'm still going to replace it anyway as it doesn't look the same as the other one. Other suggestions have been Cats or exhaust baffles, Paul is fairly sure the noise is from within the exhaust rear box so it might be a case of taking the Milltek off completely and putting the old one back on and see what that produces, if the droning stops then it has to be the Milltek if not then we have another problem, most likely Cats :scare: Hopefully it might be the £15.00 hanger but that won't be my kind of luck, I'll change that on Friday and go from there. :)

Has anyone else experienced Cat failure on a 54 Zed and if so what are the symptoms? :wacko:

The 'U' shaped gap is part of the rubber hanger (and useful when you need to prise it off with a crowbar etc ;) )

See the 3rd pic down in this article:

http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/howtos/in ... .howto.htm

Graham, Found this.

Engine Performance

Rarely does a converter break down internally on its own. Replacing a clogged or compromised converter may simply mean placing a bandage on a gaping wound. Exhaust from a combustion engine expels and recirculates unburned fuel and oxygen necessary to allow the engine to operate properly. A perfect fuel-to-air ratio exists for a combustion engine to function, and when that ratio is compromised, other components in the engine and exhaust system can and will fail.

Unburned fuel is a leading contributor to causing a catalytic converter to fail internally. So replacing the converter only temporarily solves the problem. When the engine is not performing as it should, it's only a matter of time before it damages the new converter. Diagnose any and all diagnostic trouble codes before replacing a catalytic converter to preserve and enhance its performance and effectiveness.

Thanks matey, that points it more towards the Milltek but we will see on Friday hopefully. Can you remember if the original rear box is interchangeable with the Milltek system? That would be the easier way to prove/disprove the rear box baffles simply by swapping boxes.

Graham, Found this.

Engine Performance

Rarely does a converter break down internally on its own. Replacing a clogged or compromised converter may simply mean placing a bandage on a gaping wound. Exhaust from a combustion engine expels and recirculates unburned fuel and oxygen necessary to allow the engine to operate properly. A perfect fuel-to-air ratio exists for a combustion engine to function, and when that ratio is compromised, other components in the engine and exhaust system can and will fail.

Unburned fuel is a leading contributor to causing a catalytic converter to fail internally. So replacing the converter only temporarily solves the problem. When the engine is not performing as it should, it's only a matter of time before it damages the new converter. Diagnose any and all diagnostic trouble codes before replacing a catalytic converter to preserve and enhance its performance and effectiveness.

That's brilliant mate, :thumbs: thanks for that, hopefully it won't come to that :)

Hope you get it fixed mate :thumbs:

If you wanted me to pop over so you could compare or swap bits over to test then let me know, anything I can do just shout

Just a bit of an update, Sarah is on the case with Milltek :thumbs: They've asked for the batch number etc and we've sent that to them, unfortunately the noise has become a bit more erratic and it's difficult to pin down but this seems to tie in with problems other guys had a while ago with M3's. Apparently the box on the mid section has been known to fail but it seems when Milltek confirm the problem they replace the box straight away, hopefully this will be the case. I've got the local tyre and exhaust place on stand by and we're going to see if we can reproduce the noise and then get it straight up on the ramp, fingers crossed, we really could do with a fingers crossed smilie :)