Machine Polishing - final advice needed

James B

The day has finally come. My DAS-6 arrived yesterday and today my set of polishing pads from Monza. Just got a few questions before I get stuck in at dawn tomorrow.

The pads I've got are:

1x 6" Cutting Pads 'white'

1x 6" Medium Polishing Pads 'orange'

1x 6" Light Polishing Pads 'yellow'

1x 6" Finishing Pads 'black'

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

So on to my (stupid) questions...........................

- After I've washed her I want to attend to the swirl marks, for which I'll be using Meguirs Ultimate Compound. Since its only swirls I assume the medium polishing pads are my best bet? From my previous reading I gather I squirt some on the pad and work the machine over a panel. Correct?

- Do I need to wash the car after I've polished to get residue of polish off before I wax?

- Do I apply the wax with the machine, or hand apply and machine off? If I do use the machine which pad would I use to apply wax?

- Are the finishing pads for removing / buffing the wax off?

Thanks guys and I'll post after I've detailed or melted the paint, depending on which happens............. :)

The day has finally come. My DAS-6 arrived yesterday and today my set of polishing pads from Monza. Just got a few questions before I get stuck in at dawn tomorrow.

The pads I've got are:

- After I've washed her I want to attend to the swirl marks, for which I'll be using Meguirs Ultimate Compound. Since its only swirls I assume the medium polishing pads are my best bet? From my previous reading I gather I squirt some on the pad and work the machine over a panel. Correct? YES

- Do I need to wash the car after I've polished to get residue of polish off before I wax? NO, wipe with a microfibre

- Do I apply the wax with the machine, or hand apply and machine off? If I do use the machine which pad would I use to apply wax? DEPENDS on what wax. Liquid wax I'd use a machine, anything in a tub and I'd do it by hand.

- Are the finishing pads for removing / buffing the wax off? DUNNO, but using a microfibre takes seconds and is the best way to do it that I'm aware of.

Thanks guys and I'll post after I've detailed or melted the paint, depending on which happens............. :)

Sorry for lazy quoting :blush:

The pads I've got are:

- After I've washed her I want to attend to the swirl marks, for which I'll be using Meguirs Ultimate Compound. Since its only swirls I assume the medium polishing pads are my best bet? From my previous reading I gather I squirt some on the pad and work the machine over a panel. Correct?

I'm a tad concerned that your wanting to give this a try when you say "squirt some on the pad and go over the panel". It requires a bit of understanding, serious damage can occur. Clay the car first, otherwise you will only rub dirt on the pad causing more scratches than you may remove. Also polish on pad, use a cross on the pad first, then 4 dots on a pad there after, less is more. If i use a new pad half way through a car or pad is a tad dry I often put a line of polish on the car and tilt the pad and go over it to load the pad up.

Also don't just jump in with a cutting pad and fairly abrasive polish. Start off with the lightest combo, Finishing pad and polish. If that doesn't achieve the required cut, one step up the abrasiveness of the polish, try again, still no good, step up the pad, then the polish again etc until you get the cut you require. Go in to heavy your asking for trouble, especially on soft Nissan paint.

- Do I need to wash the car after I've polished to get residue of polish off before I wax?

You can do, doesnt really matter, I use either a paint cleanser or you can use alcohol wipes to remove residue. But you need to do something to remove residue otherwise your wax may not cure onto the paintwork properly.

- Do I apply the wax with the machine, or hand apply and machine off? If I do use the machine which pad would I use to apply wax?

Wax by hand. Hard waxes are by far the best in my opinion

- Are the finishing pads for removing / buffing the wax off?

not really no, there for refining the finish after any heavy cutting of paintwork. Finish pad and polish generally has near on no cut but bring a lot of shine to the paintwork, where as cutting has loads of cut, no shine qualities, best is something like Menz IP which has a bit of both qualities :) By far the most commonly used polish of mine.

Dont let the fact that every man and his dog is trying machine polishing lately, it requires a good understanding of what your doing, what to look out for, technique and patients to achieve a good result. Ive been doing it 4 years and still dont see myself as an expert. Id say do some more research, find a scrap panel and practice on that first best advise I ever got! Even burn through the paint on it to see what to look out for! Then when confident try a car. Not trying to come across as rude or anything, just dont want to see someone jump head first and cause damage or be overly disapointed with the results. I know people who have burnt through and people who don't go far enough with the polish to let the heat break it down as there to scared too and end up marking the paintwork with the polish that's not broken down.

Mate, my advise is below the only difference is the use of the ultimate compound against SwirlX2.0. I think the compound may be a bit too aggressive but i'm sure someone will put me right.

1. Wash and dry off completeley.

2. Using the Yellow pad put several small drops of compound/Swirlx and apply to an area of a couple of feet square on a medium setting. Continue in the area till all of the compound has nearly gone, wipe off any residue with a dry micro fibre cloth. Continue this process till all of the car is complete before moving onto the next process.

3. Apply a good polish in the same way as in point 2 but using the Black pad until you achieve a bright sheen. It's the polish that gives the shine.

4. Apply a good quality wax again with the Black Pad and buff till shiny.

spoiler008.jpg

100_2247.jpg

i've just cleaned my new car today trying to restore the paint work, i'll post up the pics later, but it should show you what good cleaning products, a machin polisher, some elbow grease and a lot of time will achieve.

the paint work was in a bad state so should show a big difference.

Dont let the fact that every man and his dog is trying machine polishing lately, it requires a good understanding of what your doing, what to look out for, technique and patients to achieve a good result. Ive been doing it 4 years and still dont see myself as an expert. Id say do some more research, find a scrap panel and practice on that first best advise I ever got! Even burn through the paint on it to see what to look out for! Then when confident try a car. Not trying to come across as rude or anything, just dont want to see someone jump head first and cause damage or be overly disapointed with the results. I know people who have burnt through and people who don't go far enough with the polish to let the heat break it down as there to scared too and end up marking the paintwork with the polish that's not broken down.

I'm with you here man. 100%.

I am a firm believer in there being no such thing as a stupid question however you need to do your research and have an understanding BEFORE going near your 350Z with very soft paint.

dont put your polisher on 6 ! i did and ate two pads... I found 4 was just right and 1 for wax application

You haven't primed the pad properly in my opinion. I've never wrecked a pad with a DA.

I have wrecked one with my Rotary though..... :headhurt:

I have said MANY times on here that when you get a machine polisher get a finishing bad and glaze or sealant and go over the car with it on speed 1 or 2. You really need to get a feel for the machine and the pressures required. Please do this before attacking your car to get rid of swirls. You will be disappointed.