Birds that eat battery acid

nicon2k

So, a few weeks ago i cleaned my car, spent a long time about it too! Of course the next day there is a epic bird poo on the bonnet, brilliant!

Had a very busy week so it had to stay there for 5 days, but last weekend i had a chance to give it a wash. The offending poo came off with the pressure washer and a though no more about it. When i came to dry the car i noticed that there was a clear outline in the paintwork. Thinking i must have missed it in the washing process i gave it a rub with the drying cloth, no joy.

With a smile on my face i went back into my garage to get the clay thinking "This will shift it". Attacked the bird poo with clay and still had no you at all. In the end i resorted to a light bit of polish and that still have no effect!!!!!

I have two questions: 1. What the hell had the bird been eating?!?! 2. Any ideas how i can get rid of it?

Thanks

Since owning the Zed and having read about the 'soft' paint I'm afraid I've become a bit paranoid and I try and wipe bird sh*t off as soon as it occurs :blush::thumbs: So far no 'acid' marks, now if I could just stop the trees emitting copious amounts of pollen....................... :angry::lol:

Cutting compound + elbow grease should shift it. Try Meguiars Ultimate Compound.

+1 - its etched into the paint. You need to remove the offending (albeit very small) layer of laquer.

REMEMBER: Get rid of bird poop as soon as you see it! Water based paints are soft as ***** and are eaten into very quickly and easily by bird poop. :thumbdown: I find the best way is to wet a paper towel and leave it over the offending mess for a few minutes to soften up. Then clean off, polish (if required) and re-apply some wax/sealant to make sure its protected again.

I have an Astra van for the company my engineer keeps it at his all the time as he is on call - his road is tree lined and this time of year with the birds nesting :rant:

We found if you dont washit off the same next day it marks really baddly - joys of black.

We do the same as the others have said and use cutting compound nothing else works.

Thanks for all your advice. I will get on it when i have the chance. Am i right in thinking that the damage is done now so there is no rush in fixing it?

As well as the cutting agent, i have also invested in this:

post-4132-135011905063_thumb.jpg

Its a mobile Surface to Air missile site that will follow my car around and protect it from those berry eating, acid pooping bastards!

When it's etched into the lop layer like that you're gonna have to do some cutting.

If you have a DA or Rotary it'll shift no problem with a couple passes, other wise as mentioned some elbow grease will help a lot. Try your least aggressive polish first to avoid removing too much top layer.

Just remember to get some protection (sealant/wax) back on once polished to help protect the paintwork further.

Blimey. I washed the car the other day,clay and SRP,and thought it was water etching on the bonnet and roof. Now you mention it,i bet its this bird dump that was on it! Really let the car down seeing them etched bits,good job im in the process of buying a DA.

Watermarks can also appear etched into the paint. I've got something similar on my 370z. I tried to remove it with Lime Prime and it didnt budge. Need to get out the PoorBoys SSR and see if I can shift it. Bloody annoying this water based paint :bang:

Yup, Megs Ultimate Compound is good for bird poo acid burns.

had some on my Varis bonnet, rubbed over it gently and it's much better.

Seriously considering a car cover for parking at work.

Work at a port + 12-hour shifts + hundereds of seagulls = you do the math

bird $hit is playing havoc on my Kuro , had a spot of bird $hit on my rear bumper for 1 day , washed car and the paint is

well and truly etched , cant shift it with my menzerna products :angry:

thought the bird poop etching paint was an old wives tale or for neglected paint on cars until i bought my Z

:byebye: