Top Gear Track Day - Pics and vids!!!!

Sarnie

I also kept too much lock on in corners getting the back end out too much and hence losing time :dry:

So you didn't listen to the man either? :lol:

The sequence is a key part which I only just started to get better at as my hot laps were running out.

I've been reading a book by Skip Barber for a while, and it mentions there are times, when driving on the limit, that the correct action (for speed) is counter intuitive to your natural reaction. I now understand what that *really* means. Too high an entry speed hurts your exit speed for one, and again to use the Follow Through as an example, it's not always best to brake if you *think* the very limit of grip is fast approaching.

All the total basics of performance driving really :D I'm pleased I opted for the DVD as there are many points which I can review again, although not all the tuition was filmed.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also kept too much lock on in corners getting the back end out too much and hence losing time :dry:

So you didn't listen to the man either? :lol:

Nope :lol:

As you enter the corners, I was putting full lock on as you do. But I was the keeping the lock on and accelerating hard and therefoe just making the back end kickout and not really going anywhere :dry: He kept telling me to straighten the steering wheel up directly after the corner. This felt soooooo odd as the car wasn't point straight. He kept saying that the car would straighten itself out :scare: To be honest I was soooo preoccupied with keeping my zed on the tarmac that mentally I was ignoring stuff that, to my mind, was gonna make me crash, which is the opposite of what Graham was trying to achieve :wacko:

• 6 months later...
No one else fancy doing this?? Obviously none of you mugs could beat my time though ;)

What is this?

Can't be ar5e'd to read 9 pages.

I'm sure you were around this time last year when this was about.

Basically its a semi track day on the official Top Gear track where you get some driving instruction. You then get 6 timed laps on the TG track and placed onto the leaderboard. You can then compare your time with the Stigs in your car and also how you got on against people in other cars etc B)

Ever wondered why my status is the site Stig?? ;):teeth:

No one else fancy doing this?? Obviously none of you mugs could beat my time though ;)

What is this?

Basically its a semi track day on the official Top Gear track where you get some driving instruction. You then get 6 timed laps on the TG track and placed onto the leaderboard. You can then compare your time with the Stigs in your car and also how you got on against people in other cars etc B)

I was around but never read this thread. I'd be up for it. Are slicks allowed ? I could do it in the Cossie, although I have a diff issue at the mo.

Where's the times then?

PS: How much

What is this?

I was around but never read this thread. I'd be up for it. Are slicks allowed ? I could do it in the Cossie, although I have a diff issue at the mo.

Where's the times then?

PS: How much

It was £189, you can now have an in car camera put in your car to compile a DVD for you to take home, but i think thats extra. I don't think there are any rules about slicks.......

:)

I remember now, but I thought this was a one off event. I don't see any adverts for future dates though.

The issue for me would be noise in the Cossie. I get black flagged on full chat at Donington. My exhaust is 105 Db's static, but fortunately Donington don't usually do a static before you go on track. I have to lift or change up when passing the sound meter to pass the drive by test.

Also, red mist sydrome takes over when you are timing and it can end up in tears, so be prepared to right off your car. I've seen a few accidents on track days, the worse was a Scooby that rolled on Redgates at Donington. Apparently he'd had the car a montha and paid £19k for it. It was pretty much a right off with a bent roof and just about every panel on the car bent. The quicker the car the more chance of a high speed off... :headhurt:

lol he is isn't he.

Spotted his post on PH about it as well.

I'd be looking to go sometime next year as well. Last I heard from them they only run it week days so I'll be using it as an excuse to get away from work for a few days.

What about the Exige Kev? would be perfect for the top gear test track, plenty of run off area and you can compare your time to the real STIG's.

What's the point when I have a track car already. The thing is if I wrote off the Cossie I could sell all the bits, engine etc for more than I could the complete car. Also much cheaper to fix and much more difficult to drive.

I will track the Exige at some stage but unlikely to drive it as hard. I'd be worried about stone chips.... :lol:

nah i dont blame you! At the top gear track though, you wont have someone in front of you throwing stones up and its safer not being around people with less experience than you and having a almost empty track.

Id love to be able to drive either of your cars on track...

Mite have to get myself a cheap track toy.

nah i dont blame you! At the top gear track though, you wont have someone in front of you throwing stones up and its safer not being around people with less experience than you and having a almost empty track.

Id love to be able to drive either of your cars on track...

Mite have to get myself a cheap track toy.

The Scooby I saw roll did it by simply overcooking Redgates and sliding into the gravel. Then the wheels dug in and he rolled it about 3 times... :headhurt:

Best track cars to start with are cheap lightweight FWD cars such as XR2's, 205 GTI's etc. Cossie's can be cheap, especially Saphs and you can upgrade a standard Cossie engine to 330 bhp for about £200. Most are already at stage 2 as well. Why wreck your expensive road car.

• 1 month later...

Right boys and girls, I've booked in to do this again on 14th of Jan. Was just wondering what sort of target I should be setting myself. Last time, Graham at Plans, said that I would of done very well to be within 10% of the stig's time in a 350Z being that it was my first time on a track. Being with 10% of the stig's time was 1:40 and I managed 1:39.2 :)

The stig's time in the G was 1:25 so to be with 10% of that I'd have to do 1:33.5 or less. So, the question is, can I be 6 seconds quicker in the G than the 350Z assuming the same conditions? Sounds a lot to me. To get round in 1:33 would be quicker than the stig went round in an SL55 AMG :surrender:

Right boys and girls, I've booked in to do this again on 14th of Jan. Was just wondering what sort of target I should be setting myself. Last time, Graham at Plans, said that I would of done very well to be within 10% of the stig's time in a 350Z being that it was my first time on a track. Being with 10% of the stig's time was 1:40 and I managed 1:39.2 :)

The stig's time in the G was 1:25 so to be with 10% of that I'd have to do 1:33.5 or less. So, the question is, can I be 6 seconds quicker in the G than the 350Z assuming the same conditions? Sounds a lot to me. To get round in 1:33 would be quicker than the stig went round in an SL55 AMG :surrender:

knowing how much quicker you took that corner off the A444 to lead down to Sarah's, i would say yes you can do it. The G sticks to the road so much more than the zed so i would expect you to reach that time.

If not, you are no longer the site stig

1:33, pah, i can do that on a push bike

:p;)

knowing how much quicker you took that corner off the A444 to lead down to Sarah's, i would say yes you can do it. The G sticks to the road so much more than the zed so i would expect you to reach that time.

If not, you are no longer the site stig

Coincidently the stig was 6 seconds faster in the G than the 350Z, maybe the added power and 4wd will mean that I could possibly better 1:33?