Wanted: Small diesel hatchback... upto £2500

marzman

Hi all,

Im after a first car for the missus as she's learning to drive at the moment. I've been looking for a small diesel hatchback for about 3 weeks now without any luck.

I'll also be borrowing it every now and then for work as i do a lot of miles, so it needs to be big enough to be comfortable on the motorway.

My criteria is:

Reliable

Up to 10 years old

Diesel

Hatch back (ie. no sticky out boot, so its easy for her to drive)

Under 100k miles.

Not too small.

I would like a civic, but they're around £3k at the mo (and i dont want to spend too much, because i just know she'll crash it - everyone does when they start driving!)

Not interested in anything french... :lol:

Anyone?

I've spent the last 3 hours on autotrader/ebay looking for options... i've called about 10 people and they're either all sold, or sound like a scam (crap excuses why i cant come to the garage to view :dry:

Hi I know of someone selling 307 rapier hdi 5dr , it's got 83k miles Mot 21/9/2011 he's after about £1950. He's putting up for sale this wk :thumbs:

Peugeot is quite sort of.......well........French though isn't it.

Personally I'd get her a nice red 1.6 petrol MX5 if I was you.......in fact I know where one is for sale local to you for £2500 as it happens :teeth:

Your best going for something like a VW Golf 1.9 tdi. Im sure you can pick one up for around £2500 and they are good cars. It will give you close to 60 mpg on the motorway and is quite quick and nimble too.

Good Luck :thumbs:

I have a Seat Leon 1.9 TDI (110bhp), but it's an LHD so not really great for driving in the UK.

But I have to say, the Seat is a very reliable car, reasonably quick and I still think it looks good. So if you can find one like it with the steering wheel on the right, that might just be the right thing for your missus. Also Skoda (for example the Fabia) make very reliable and very good cars. In Germany the make has a very good reputation, despite it's origins (it's now all VW anyway).

Just to give you some more ideas, hope you find her something good. It's always beneficial to keep your missus happy :console:

Small update...

I just bought a car tonight...

1.3 Petrol Fiesta, 88k, £1600.

I've been to see 8 cars in the last week and they were all crap, but this one looked fine and had lots of receipts. It has an oil leak, but it is getting fixed by the dealer first.

Overall im fairly happy, and its a great first car for my fiance, who im teaching to drive...

media.jpg

media2.jpg