How to - BOSE PHONO / IPOD " hack " - guide

Husky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just completed this mod and first time thought it didn't work as couldn't stop it saying "Push Eject"... took it all apart again rechecked and refitted still the same...So after doing it 3, 4 times at 30 seconds tried one at around 45 seconds and it worked WOOOPIE.... sound is great, better start sorting out playlists now though as cant change tracks whilst driving..

Anyway, thought I should post results in case anyone else was about to give up at first go.

Thanks for the great instructions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There seems to be a user "GroverSt" that "likes" the first post of this thread over and over every day. been going for months. Not sure if something is broken or it's a spam bot of some sort?

Spammer. Although posting is disabled it seems he is still able to 'spam' with "Like this" - something I have not heard of before so I'll get Admin to delete his IP ;)

edit: He is now history

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got to stage 3 in 57 plate HR GT no sat nav and first set of screws on cubby hole don't look they exist.

Carried on and got to stage of pulling centre console out and removing head unit but doesn't seem to wasn't to come out and thinking its these screws I couldn't see holding the top of the unit in? Am I right?

Any ideas?

Thanks

As there are no number stages in the OP, do you mean the top picture or the bottom picture attached below (presume its the bottom!)? I've not got a HR so can't confirm if you should have the screws but this guide didn't come from a HR.

When you try to pull it out can you tell where its catching. The probelm I ahd with mine was getting the the unit round the white plastic box at the bottom.

Remove the two small black screws shown

post-4823-135011901692_thumb.jpg

now remove the two that retain the centre console down the sides.

post-4823-135011901715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Randy_Baton

IMG 12123402361927

This is how far I got but couldn't see how to remove the surround to remove the head unit. Didn't want to push my luck with brute force! Should it come out front ways or backwards from the dash?
Sorry if I'm being an idiot!!

The cubby hole isn't your problem, the screws in the cubby hole hold the centre console to the car, you've got round that problem. already.

The stereo is held in to the centre console via 4 screws in the side, Its best to get the whole console out then undo the screws, but you can do it by leavering it forward.

The thing I had issue with was getting the the metal feet (shown at the bottom of this picture) out from behind the white plastic thing. I had taken out the screws that go into the holes but it was still hard to get out. I think you've got the same problem. You need to loosen the screws that hold the white box in to give you more wiggle room.

rb1.jpg.33cebce6a97e6769419506b2c708aea8.jpg

I think you need to play around with these screws. Each picture is from a different model US at the top, UK (non HR) at the bottom. Hopefully yours is similar.

rb2.jpg.ad90bb28a71fa1a72004946301dbefce.jpg

http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5451

• Like 1

The white box is the worst part of the whole thing, it really is a faff to get it out.

I'll go through and slap some numbers in the steps to make it easier

Yep, took me 5 mins to get it out and 30 mins to get it back in. Such a ridiculous shape/angle of attachment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If i recall, there is a cig socket on the passenger side, slightly under the dash? you can wire into that no problem. or the one behind the seats, makes no difference :)

You can do it two ways:

1) get a 12v to 5v voltage regulator circuit and put a USB socket on it.

2) (the much easier way) get a small cig socket to USB and plug a USB extension cable into it.

You will most likely need to include one of thesein line in order to remove the whine.

Using method 2, you want to wire a 2nd 12v socketinto the lines of the OEM 12v socket and hide it behind the trim. Then plug in something like this into it, finally put your USB extension cable (or phone charger cable direct) into that and run it to wherever you want.

And if you felt really flash you could install something like thisto finish it off nicely

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So I've got to step 9 of the original post, but for the life of me can't unplug the connector to the 3 gauges (below - I've got an HR if that makes a difference).

I've seen reference to a tab that needs pushing but can't feel one. Could someone do me a huge favour and explain in words of one syllable how to disconnect it? Hate not being able to see what I'm doing.

spork1.jpg.f0bae7d43df3ced737a4051c25812f2a.jpg