How to - BOSE PHONO / IPOD " hack " - guide

Husky

Good guide. Only need to remove a few of the screws from the headunit to get bottom cover off, some were unnecessary. I didn't cut the traces on the circuit board as when tested with the 3.5mm cable I soldered on there was no interference noise, just crystal clear high quality audio, very impressed. The only tiny gripe with this hack is the tape deck making noise when you select it. Tried desoldering the deck mechanism motor and also the reel motor but unfortunately it just won't work either or, be great if it was completely silent operation. Now waiting delivery of a belkin usb charger and ipod 3.5mm/usb y cable to convert the whole thing to one ipod cable and an ipod touch in box above head unit. I will dismantle the belkin cig charger and solder a cable inside to it which will be behind dash and tapped into accessory socket feed. Will post pics soon and maybe a mini guide if it's worth it.

• Like 1

May even be worth trying on of these, I have just bought one so will fit it all up and see if I keep having to switch it on each time: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200968311264&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

Tried the link but ebay says "Oops. An error has occured." Tried pasting the item number into ebay search but got the same thing, maybe post a pic if you can or an alternative link? Cheers

Its Bluetooth aux connector, someone was mentioning these a few pages back, but they were Blackberry branded. Uses Bluetooth to connect audio to a device that has a 3.5mm out socket.

I brought a Blackberry one off ebay and the sound quality was terrible, sounded like a phone call absolutely no bass and the the other frequency's were all distorting as if the levels were up 250%. Completely unlistenable.

Might have just had a bad one but didn't like the way it needed an external power source anyway, just another wire to hide.

Yes i have noticed with in car audio systems Bluetooth audio is very hit and miss, some propriety systems the clarity is perfect but I have found cheap bluetooth audio accessories to be terrible. I am a believer that line-in directly connected audio feeds rather than streaming audio gives the best result. I had also considered bluetooth in this little project instead of wired but was concerned about the audio quality.

My bad, try this link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boza-Wireless-Bluetooth-Stereo-Audio-Music-Receiver-for-Car-AUX-AMP-Speaker-/200968311264?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item2ecaa511e0

Received mine today, fitted it up so its using a cig lighter USB charger. Sounds good maybe a little bit more muddy but I havn't fiddled with it yet.

I will let you know how good it is and how functional (if at all) hidden away so you cant see it.

First impressions: 7/10

Update, the functions are awesome, just jump in the car switch on the ignition and it pairs so I just have to start the music on my phone.

It can be hidden away as you don't need to press anything if its connected up to a switched power source.

Bad point: Its got a fair bit of background noise when the volume is up and the clarity between highs, lows and mids is not great.

Looks like I will be investing in another more expensive one to see if its got better sound but at £7 its worth a buy!

01/06/2014 UPDATE: Used a cheap AUX noise filter as suggested before and I cannot be happier with the unit, no noise what so ever.

$T2eC16h,!zgFIc+IebdUBSQ+obfjtg~~60_35.JPG

It links straight away and I just use a sticky phone holder on my Satnav screen like blow:

ebay2.jpg.cec35acd89750e679c11e949adfc92f5.jpg

Sound if great and its completely hidden. There are only 2 negatives after using it for over 3 months:

1. The USB charger cable that comes with it is flimsy and I replaced it as it was cutting out, now perfect.

2. If you pop into a shop or move away from the Bluetooth range (which is big) it will not reconnect automatically, you have to manually do it on your phone or flick the switch off and on.

This could be fixed if you removed the battery so it starts up with the ignition but I haven't attempted this as it doesn't really bother me.

Best car audio part for the price I have ever bought!

Update, the functions are awesome, just jump in the car switch on the ignition and it pairs so I just have to start the music on my phone.

It can be hidden away as you don't need to press anything if its connected up to a switched power source.

Bad point: Its got a fair bit of background noise when the volume is up and the clarity between highs, lows and mids is not great.

Looks like I will be investing in another more expensive one to see if its got better sound but at £7 its worth a buy!

hey Hooch.

I think the blackberry device is supposed to be the best. still loads of background noise with those too. might have another play. its like Theres a bad earth or something, maybe a filter can be included or I might try a different 12v> 5v converter. I was using a cheap bullet cigarette lighter thing. good luck

Edited by timb2010

The cig lighter circuit is rather noisy. If I charge my phone using my charger (simply a cig lighter extension > USB Dual port charger > Genuine iPhone Lightning cable) I get a lot of electrical whine. Follows the revs exactly and sounds like the noise you get with a badly earthed sub.

A few pics to show the modified usb charger so that it can be placed out of sight and connected directly to a 12v feed. If you are wondering why I have two wires it's because i was using high amperage cable, it was all i had at the time. Didnt want to risk using too thin wire and my Z go on fire or something. Also just a few pics of the job in question and testing. I also have to note that there is now some 'slight' barely noticable noise as a result of the charging feed but i hope to resolve this with a ground loop isolator added. I am just being fussy and want the crystal clear audio again. I will report back with my findings.

Waiting on the isolator coming and then i'll solder it in and let you guys know.

post-20100-0-75233900-1382964601_thumb.jpg

post-20100-0-85110700-1382964610_thumb.jpg

post-20100-0-06357500-1382964623_thumb.jpg

post-20100-0-05506600-1382964630_thumb.jpg

post-20100-0-35614600-1382964642_thumb.jpg

post-20100-0-88974600-1382964655_thumb.jpg

post-20100-0-84301600-1382964668_thumb.jpg

post-20100-0-25563500-1382964679_thumb.jpg

I didn't think about the cig lighter being the cause of the noise, I'm also using a cheap lighter to usb plug. I will investigate a bit more....

EDIT: So something like this could be the solution: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260701376336&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Edited by Hooch

Hey guys, done the Bose Hack today, all went well and was working. Just gone back to my car and now only certain buttons will work on the headunit?

I cant change from Radio to CD to Tape ect. I have reset using the tape eject button but still no luck?

Am i missing something?

Thanks for any help,

Tom

Did you take off the clip and spring inside the cassette deck?

Have you gone through the tape deck reset procedure?

Yes I removed a spring and a clip as the instructions.

By reset procedure you mean ignition off and holding down the tape eject button then yes :)

The reset thing can be quite tricky to time right, the 60 second time limit is bang on 60 seconds. There isn't a tape in the deck is there?

Turn car on after doing the hack, let the stereo stop making noises etc.

Turn car all the way to position 0 (off)

Hold the tape eject button for exactly 60 seconds, id heavily advise using a stopwatch.

Let go of the button exactly on 60 seconds and turn car to position 1 (ign)

Press"tape" hopefully the display should say Side1 and shouldn't be clicking/making any weird noises.

• Like 1

The reset thing can be quite tricky to time right, the 60 second time limit is bang on 60 seconds. There isn't a tape in the deck is there?

Turn car on after doing the hack, let the stereo stop making noises etc.

Turn car all the way to position 0 (off)

Hold the tape eject button for exactly 60 seconds, id heavily advise using a stopwatch.

Let go of the button exactly on 60 seconds and turn car to position 1 (ign)

Press"tape" hopefully the display should say Side1 and shouldn't be clicking/making any weird noises.

Fantastic! I stopwatch for 60 seconds worked and all is working as it should. Thanks for helping me out :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm the cheapo in line ground loop isolator worked perfect between ipod cable and head unit. Virtually no noise at all now or at least nothing annoying/noticeable,very happy with result. In summary: Ipod y cable, hacked usb charger & a cheap ground loop isolator and jobs a good 'un. If you really want it versatile you could also solder in that 3.5mm plug at the start of the project so you can have optional aux as well.

Edited by AndyZ33HR

Did this today, took me about 3 hours but I'm not very good with stuff like this and had never soldered before. Took my time and it's now all working correctly. :) . The advice using a stopwatch for holding the eject button was good, got it on second attempt using that method.

Cheers for the guide.

• Like 1

I gave up with the reset method in the end and just put tape with no tape inside, works fine.

I did unplug the Bluetooth device from the power and the background noise disappeared, its a cheap filter for me next :teeth:

The cheap filter will cure all your problems. The cheapest is the twin rca plugs one which i cut the plugs off and soldered in-line to work. The 3.5mm jack version was over double the price at the time of purchase. Pay attention to the direction of audio flow if using the RCA plug version as my filter wasn't marked input and output. The input will be the male rca plug side and the other end with the female plugs are the output flow. So the female plug wires will be connected to your head unit and the male will be soldered to your ipod/aux in cable.

It may work either direction but the results might not be the same.