How to - BOSE PHONO / IPOD " hack " - guide

Husky

the track cutting is to help avoid noise, some have noise some don't, so if you don't then you didn't need to cut them :)

Surely the noise would be the tape players head picking up crap and a head cleaning tape would help? If you can still buy those things these days of course!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this great guide.

Took a little longer than planned.

Couldn't get the eject mech trick to work, got fed up trying, so stripped a tape down and used this to fool it.

I put sound deadening material in the tape enclosure, so I don't get any wurring noise from the motor/s.

Used a nylon cable tie and two sticky mounts on underside of cubby hole to add strain relief to the cable.

Tracks were cut so unsure if they make any difference.

Sounds great. Best money spent on the Zed to date. Wish I did this now on my old 350....

• 3 weeks later...
Hello bud, will this work if im a looser without the bose system? got a UK Z and looking to do it next weekend if it'll work :thumbs:

Head unit on the non-GT non-Bose is almost identical inside because they're all made by Clarion! The tape unit itself is identical and the mod works perfectly.

Gonna be doing this next week. Took out the Bose and replaced with a sony head unit but the sound is terrible through standard speakers and i cant afford to replace them so its coming out again and the Bose is getting hacked as at least its paired well to the (imo) poor quality bose speakers.

Gonna lose my cubby that the single din unit gave me ...why do these cars not have more storage ?

K

Done this a few months back and wired up an ipod lead to it, but was getting anoyed with the ipod`s limited storage and I hate the ipod controls. So, yesterday swapped out the ipod lead for a normal 3.5mm plug lead. Now I can plug in my samsung galaxy s2 with its 50gb of storage. All works fine, and the output from the galaxy actually sounds miles better than the ipod! Result!

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the cubby hole next to the handbrake (mines a facelift car), then fed the wire through that. So, I can put the phone in the cubby. All looks nice and stealth. :thumbs:

Husky, i've had this installed for a while, worked perfectly. Recently battery died on me, however the HU still worked. However i went to use it the other day and when i press the tape button it just says "Press Eject" When you press eject the unit attempts to load/eject a few times then stays dormant till you press the CD or Radio button. I have tried the reset procedure with no luck either. Any ideas?

I followed this guide last night, and have my iPhone connected to the car today.

Thank you for the detailed walk through. :#1:

The error wouldn't clear for me, but I found by turning the ignition off, pressing the eject button until the tape deck finished (15seconds), then while still holding the eject, turning the ignition on worked for me.

• 1 month later...
Can someone send me a link to the right phono lead please?

As there are so many phono leads with a single, 2 phono plugs. Don't know which one to get :wacko:

You just need one which has 2 photo plugs. i.e. a red one for right and a white one for left. You can pick them up for hardly anything on ebay.

The one I bought was:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160600769096#ht_3238wt_899

This is if you want to have a 3.5mm jack to plug anything into. If you want an iphone/ipod connector then you`ll need a different lead.

• 1 month later...

This is a great post, just done it myself over the weekend, alot of screws make sure you have a good philips screw driver! Plus don't do it in the dark like me. :blush:

Apart from that, sounds really good.

not sure if i should have cut the wire to the motors or not, turn up the music and i can't hear it anyway B)

Just need to finish off putting the wire to the armrest, hopfully that will be easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking of doing this mod too.

Ive got an old style Apple AV cable that only does the old PAL/NTSC standards im thinking of sacrificing for the mod. Its a proper solid thick cable with the red/white audios ports and a video port. Ive also got a good quality cigarette lighter to usb plug that will charge an ipad as well as an Ipod via the cable.

The only snag with the above is I cant watch video on an Ipod whilst its connected, but I dont plan to watch videos while driving anyway! :drive1

I want to wire up the cigarette lighter somewhere behind the dash so its all hidden and just leave the cable in the cubby hole.

Any ideas?

Ive got an old style Apple AV cable that only does the old PAL/NTSC standards im thinking of sacrificing for the mod. Its a proper solid thick cable with the red/white audios ports and a video port. Ive also got a good quality cigarette lighter to usb plug that will charge an ipad as well as an Ipod via the cable.

you will need to add a ground loop isolator if you are charging and playing it at the same time :)

The only snag with the above is I cant watch video on an Ipod whilst its connected, but I dont plan to watch videos while driving anyway! :drive1

I want to wire up the cigarette lighter somewhere behind the dash so its all hidden and just leave the cable in the cubby hole.

You could buy a second cig socket and put it in parallel with your current one. then hide it behind the dash above the passenger footwell.

Any ideas?

you will need to add a ground loop isolator if you are charging and playing it at the same time :)

You could buy a second cig socket and put it in parallel with your current one. then hide it behind the dash above the passenger footwell.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the heads up on the isolator, Ive ordered one.

Ill take a look at the cigarette lighter and see where I could tap a couple of wires in