Switched from BT broadband to SKY

GT4 Zed

I consider myself a loyal costumer and have been with most services for 10years or more and they have been having a laugh. their speed was no were near quoted (i know..... i know the drill but common........you would think they will do something about it) and i become very fed up with the BS and decide to go to sky.

when i called then for my MAC code it was a struggle as they were doing everything to retain me even offered £5 pcm for my full package unlimited down low and they will come a trouble shoot my lines to get more speed etc etc. So i told them to fark off as i had made up my mind especuially as i have Sky world and was taking their unlimited phone and broad band which worked out cheaper than BT anyway.

The modem came in ontime and today i installed it within 5mins and it works without issues and faster than BT by far. So what's the catch? if SKY s using BT lines why am i seeing faster speeds :shrug:

I think BT is just complacent and are just plauin lazy to keep up with the times and i am glad i took this decision.

Next..........is British gas who have enjoyed keeping my acounts in credit for years making interest over off it and when it came to get a new boiler tried to reap me off on the price off the boiler and the installation fee.

After that i will deal with L&G home insurance/building and contents :lol:

Next!!!!!! :#1:

BT told my girlfriend she had to turn her BT router off each night then back on in the morning to cure problems with wireless dropping off....what a total crock of s**t. I have worked in IT for 25 years and never heard such drivel in all my life. BT really are clueless and really dont give a stuff about their customers - good for you for swapping!

Although Sky uses BT lines they manage them a lot better to give you better speeds etc.

Speed could be down to Sky using Local Loop Unbundling with their own equipement in the cab rather than BTs old cack, you get better speeds.

Should have told BT you want Infinity for a fever a month :#1: (I got if from PlusNet being on their trial for £10/mo for life now as a thank you *whoop* )

BT told my girlfriend she had to turn her BT router off each night then back on in the morning to cure problems with wireless dropping off....what a total crock of s**t. I have worked in IT for 25 years and never heard such drivel in all my life. BT really are clueless and really dont give a stuff about their customers - good for you for swapping

Actually that will be very detrimental to the internet speed. The cab hardware will think that you have a crap line and will lower the speed in an attempt to make it more stable. You need to leave the router on all the time (as you'll well know) so that it can see its stable. Only in the first 10 days do you need to cycle it at max once a day to allow it to up the speed profile and test new faster speeds.

When my broadband provider when bust a couple of years ago I decided the fastest way to get it back on was to go with BT. Everything went well until they told me the best speed they could supply was 1mb :scare: when I told them that I'd been getting 2.5mb for the previous 2 years thay were adamant that the fastest speed my line would support was 1mb :shrug: . So I decided to go back to AOL, they checked my line and said, yeah 2.5mb no problem, makes you wonder what BT were playing at.

Pete

Chris - unrelated to the thread - but the last two email notifications I got from this thread points me to 370z site and not 350z site - I know they are in essence the same, but my usual login doesn't work...??

PM'd but both should work exactly the same as each other. You do need to log into both seperately even though they point to the same back end.

don't laugh but I have been with AOL for 16 years but last month they sleazly put there prices up without informing me I just noticed it on my statement my brother has been trying to talk me out of AOL for years so I think I will at last be looking at getting a sky package ie. Sky HD,Broadband and my home phone.

The modem came in ontime and today i installed it within 5mins and it works without issues and faster than BT by far. So what's the catch? if SKY s using BT lines why am i seeing faster speeds :shrug:

the possibilities are ...

router

filters

line reset...or a combo of all 3

Speed could be down to Sky using Local Loop Unbundling with their own equipement in the cab rather than BTs old cack, you get better speeds.

good call :thumbs: - check here to see if sky operates LLU in your area

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

don't laugh but I have been with AOL for 16 years but last month they sleazly put there prices up without informing me I just noticed it on my statement my brother has been trying to talk me out of AOL for years so I think I will at last be looking at getting a sky package ie. Sky HD,Broadband and my home phone.

Think you should kiss your brother and slap yourself around the head a few times..... :lol: AOL are crap, come on man get a fricking grip. :blush:

don't laugh but I have been with AOL for 16 years

I've been with them since January 1996, in fact since the day the went live in The U.K. I was also one of their unpaid testers for a few weeks before that. There was a short period when they didn't provide my service as such, but I paid a nominal monthly fee to retain my EMail address so I was still regarded as a member. Never had any problems and have unlimited UL/DL for £5.99 a month (probably because my line's so slow). Before that I was with Compu$erve :scare:

Pete

I'm having issues with BT now - phone not broadband. TWICE i logged a fault as my phone will not take incoming calls. Twice they have cleared the fault as 'resolved' without even contacting me first. I complained a THIRD time and said to them 'why don't you RING my number and you will see the problem!!' Currently they are dealing with fault log number three - still can't get calls to my landline but you guessed it - still got my bill for the month despite not being able to use the damn phone! Useless!

i used to be with O2 and they were great for broadband, but i couldn't get their high speed bandwidths due to BT not unbundling their exchange or something. so to save money i swapped to BT. i regret it now. and just waiting for the contract to end so i can swap to something else.

is Sky really good? everyoen seems to me talking it about it.

I cannot emphasise this enough - If you are in a cable area (eg Virgin) - you actually get advertised speeds as they use fibre and not crappy copper - there is no apparent contention ratio

Aren't BT upgrading to fiber now?

the possibilities are ...

router

filters

line reset...or a combo of all 3

good call :thumbs: - check here to see if sky operates LLU in your area

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

I checked and they do operated LLU in my local exhange :thumbs:

I can't wait for cabled BD eg Virgin to get to my area as i hear it is super fast :cloud9: ?correct?

Its nice to know i was not the only one suffering with BT and paying exhorbitantly for the privilege :surrender:

Should have told BT you want Infinity for a fever a month :#1: (I got if from PlusNet being on their trial for £10/mo for life now as a thank you *whoop* )

Thats a ****ing joke. Ive been with plusnet for about a decade, couldn't take part in the trial as I dare to live in one of the 99% of places BT deem unfit to roll out anything but copper wires and pay Plusnet £23 a month for 6mb and 20GB limit.

my current BT contract is for a 10 gb limit and if i go over they charge me 5 quid for every 5 meg over

and this is the speed i get at 2am

1182037290.png

its normally half that.

i'd love virgin cable internet. or anything that doesnt rely on BT, i lived all over the country and not seemed to find one place that does cable broadband. to virgin only supply 3 streets or something :shrug:

apparently we're on the BT infinity list for new fibre optics, but no kind of time frame when. it could be next week it could be sometime in 2020.

why are we so far behind the rest of europe when it comes to communication technology.

Thats a ****ing joke. Ive been with plusnet for about a decade, couldn't take part in the trial as I dare to live in one of the 99% of places BT deem unfit to roll out anything but copper wires and pay Plusnet £23 a month for 6mb and 20GB limit.

Swap houses if you want? Not sure how you'd handle living in a 2 bed, but we get 40Mb down and 8Mb up :#1: But seriously how the f'ing hell are you paying £23/mo for a 20GB limit? All I can think is that you arent in one of their low cost areas? Ie they have no competition so they screw you - I do think that is not on TBH :thumbdown: Luckily we live in a low cost area and are on the middle bundle which I get a few quid cheaper cos I've been using them for years and picked carefully when to upgrade (ie they forced me onto it but on the old price).

I had everything on Sky apart from line rental, speeds were half a meg. Since changing my line rental to sky I get about 1 meg still terrible but don't need hyper fast net. Just shows BT are crap.

But seriously how the f'ing hell are you paying £23/mo for a 20GB limit? All I can think is that you arent in one of their low cost areas? Ie they have no competition so they screw you - I do think that is not on TBH :thumbdown: Luckily we live in a low cost area and are on the middle bundle which I get a few quid cheaper cos I've been using them for years and picked carefully when to upgrade (ie they forced me onto it but on the old price).

Ive been with PN since dialup, so getting on for a decade now I think. Though yes, you are correct, our exchanges round here apart from Chesterfield itself are mainly ADSLMax. Most dont even have ADSL2 yet, never mind infinity. Ours has offerings from carphone warehouse and Orange. Other than that its BT and ADSLMax only. No dates on ADSL2, and as for infinity its about as likely to be rolled out here as me taking a pee in the queens handbag.

BT constantly roll out the new technology to the main exchanges, and before they get to the smaller ones, they start with the next new technology.

Heres how our exchange lags behind the Main Chesterfield one:

ADSL enabled:

Chesterfield - March 2000

Ours - October 2003 (3.5 years later)

ADSL Max - same time (though that wasnt really a change).

21 CN:

Chesterfield - May 2009

Ours - no date yet.

FTTC:

Chesterfield - enabled in some areas already

Ours - no date yet.

As the dates are set out to around 2015 already, and we havent even got one for 21CN, then I doubt very much if we will ever get anything better than Max here. :lol:

I thought 21CN was FTTC, or rahter FTTC is the last piece in the network chain to deliver 21CN. 21CN is the backbone changes required for FTTC.

You're most likely to see FTTC before anything else. If they are doing any work it will all be 21CN/FTTC. With no dates though it looks like you are screwed :thumbdown:

Might be worth a question to PN about the competition in the area, with Orange and CPW they may now rate is as a higher competition area which would lower the price significantly.