The search begins... and anyone near Gatwick?

TimFF

Afternoon folks

I'm now looking for a 350z having got management approval. :thumbs:

The budget is up to £15k so having been poking around various websites that seems to mean I'm after a 313bhp car whether it's bought privately or via the trade. It's got to be a UK coupe, and the approval has come with the proviso that we get a blue one and no body kits...

Is there any kind soul within within easy reach of Gatwick who wouldn't mind letting me poke around their car (preferably not modified too much as that's what I'm after) and taking me for a short trip? It might sound daft but I've never even sat in a 350 let alone driven one - I hate wasting folks time if I have no intention of buying it...

cheers

Tim

OK, fair cop - yes, it's Crawley in West Sussex. :blush:

Not to be confused (sadly...) with Crawley in Hampshire which is a real picture postcard village with thatched cottages and all the trimmings.

Or Crawley in Devon, Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire.

We used to see a silver / grey 350 around Grattons Park - that's not you is it?

cheers

Tim

OK, fair cop - yes, it's Crawley in West Sussex. :blush:

Not to be confused (sadly...) with Crawley in Hampshire which is a real picture postcard village with thatched cottages and all the trimmings.

Or Crawley in Devon, Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire.

We used to see a silver / grey 350 around Grattons Park - that's not you is it?

cheers

Tim

Ha ha I knew it! Most people are embarrassed to say they're from Crawley :lol:

I've not had mine for very long at all, and at the moment it's not being used because I'm trying to sell my RX8 first :bang:, so I highly doubt it was me. I've seen a grey import in Pound Hill a few times if that's the one you're talking about? Has a rather large spoiler if I remember correctly. Apart from that I've only seen one other which is an Azure Blue Import with some sort of bodykit and large alloys. Seems like 350s are relatively rare around this beloved town of ours. :thumbs:

Welcome.

I got a 57 plate Zed 2 weeks ago for a few hundred over your budget in midnight blue. As far as I am aware, there are two blues you can look for, the azure blue and the midnight blue. Both are really great colours. From what I learnt on this site from other members is that the midnight blue is fairly rare compared to some other colours. If you can find one in both types of blue, check them both out. I liked the azure but fell for the midnight on first sight.

If you decide to go for the midnight, you may be looking for a while though, unless you are prepared to travel far and wide for it.

Welcome to the forum Tim. You'll have a lot of fun tootling around in a 350 as a company car.

I got a 57 plate Zed 2 weeks ago for a few hundred over your budget in midnight blue. As far as I am aware, there are two blues you can look for, the azure blue and the midnight blue. Both are really great colours. From what I learnt on this site from other members is that the midnight blue is fairly rare compared to some other colours. If you can find one in both types of blue, check them both out. I liked the azure but fell for the midnight on first sight.

If you decide to go for the midnight, you may be looking for a while though, unless you are prepared to travel far and wide for it.

Yes only two blues, unless you at the 370 blue into the mix. Although, what am I saying, it wasn't what Tim was looking for. :D

The one we saw in Pound Hill definitely wasn't an import and it didn't have any body kit. I tend not to be around town much as I either work from home and barely venture out when doing so or am en route to or from Farnborough - the Hampshire one!

And yes, I had realised blue (Azure or Midnight) was relatively rare. However there's no real rush as the Zed is to replace my wifes company car which goes back in August. But then having the OK and money waiting means I'm itching already! Distance isn't really too much of an issue - we've got cars from Bristol before now.

There is one in Hove which seems to tick all the boxes except it's kept outside and almost within sight of the sea. Having had a seaside car once before which fell apart (admittedly it wasn't a Nissan) I don't want to take another chance...

I really wouldn't worry about a 2/3 year old Zed falling apart even if it has been kept outside. Most problems are with internal parts i.e. gearbox... Of course you can get exceptions but Zeds are pretty bullet proof. Mine is a 2004 that has done 91k sits outside as I have no garage and is running beautifully :thumbs:

I completely appreciate we're talking a different generation of cars and it wouldn't overly worry me but Management has decreed...

Given that a sneaky :disguise: visit to Abbey ("it needs a service dear!") for some tinkering is almost certainly going to take place I'm happy to not push the issue!

If you're down by Gatwick you're fairly close to Abbey Motorsports - if they don't have what you're after (to look at not purchase!) you may have luck asking the forum if anybody with what you're looking for is visiting them any time soon... I'm sure they'd be going for a small drive after whatever work they're having done so may not mind giving you a quick spin.

Also, there's a 370Z in blue in the spotted on e-bay section that's within your budget... ignoring transport costs from Dunfermline anyway.

Dunfermline is maybe a little toooo far...

And if it's at a dealer it will no doubt take 2 visits to collect it - 1 to see it and 1 to collect it after it's been through the workshop to service it / cure any issues.

I did manage to see and drive a dealer car yesterday :D - I expect a bit of road noise but this seemed excessive to the point where both the salesman and I thought a wheel bearing was shot. Do they run bearings at 50k or so? My research so far suggests that's not normal.

It also had a pair of rear tyres on the wear marks so although it looked OK this one would definitely need a trip through the workshop!

I know this isn't particularly useful .....but with the budget you are talking about my feeling would be that you won't need to take any chances. It should be possible with the supply of cars available to find one which ticks all the boxes - it may just take a bit of time and involve a bit of a trip - I did travel some distance to find mine. Petrol prices, etc should make it a bit of a buyers market...in theory anyway.

No, I won't take any chances and as I mentioned before I'm happy enough to travel - within reason... We have a few months before the Civic goes back so there's no immediate rush but if the right car presents itself in the right place then we'll see if we can get it at the right price.

I'm fortunate that most of my commuting mileage is expensed so the probable fuel price rise isn't a major concern, I'm happy to pay to have some fun. I seem to recall exactly the same conversation about fuel prices when I was but a callow youth indulging in a 5.7 litre Mustang!