Wales...

spursmaddave

We are all booked up for Wales and will be stopping all 3 nights (fri-sun) but neither of us have ever been to Wales so we are thinking of going a few days earlier and travelling around a bit. No real plans but we would like to go to Portmeirion and maybe see some of Snowdonia too...

Do any of you guys from the area have any tips or ideas for places to visit or places to stay? We will probably end up going to Travelodges etc unless someone knows some nice B&B's in the area that they can recommend.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to have a think and reply

:thumbs:

Will have a think dave, the roads there are lovely. Don't know that area all that well though as I lived further down south in Aberystwyth.

I will pick your brains tomorrow then ;) I wouldn't mind seeing as much as possible, you know how I like to rack up the miles... I reckon if we make it a decent trip I could need my 99,000 mile service when I get back :surrender:

Love driving around snowdonia, last time we went camping for a week in the zed and just drove around randomly and found a place to tent up in the evening. Not sure exactly where we stayed as don't know exactly where we were :lol:

That sounds great, apart from the Camping bit... to old for that malarky :wheelchair:

:lol: never too old for camping!

One enjoyable little drive is around the Great Orm (sp), costs something like £1 to go up the great orme and one way so you know there is nothing coming other way - lovely twistie roads snaking up to the top where you can have a nice snack before belting down the other side :drive1

Portmeirion is a nice place so is Porthmadog where i had a static caravan for several years. I love it around there and of course you have the Llanberis pass in Snowdonia which is very scenic. Further on from Porthmadog you will find Abersoch where the rich Cheshire set have holiday homes there. Plenty of nice B&B's about ;)

My brother as a place in Anglesey and i am looking into finding another static caravan in that part of the world again. :)

Portmeirion is a nice place so is Porthmadog where i had a static caravan for several years. I love it around there and of course you have the Llanberis pass in Snowdonia which is very scenic. Further on from Porthmadog you will find Abersoch where the rich Cheshire set have holiday homes there. Plenty of nice B&B's about ;)

if i remember rightly its porthmadog that has the beach you can drive on, i think it was there i had a great days playing

if i remember rightly its porthmadog that has the beach you can drive on, i think it was there i had a great days playing

Yes Black Rock Sands, that where i had my last caravan, great beach B)

Lots of interesting places up in The North. Let's start off with The Castles, Conway Castle is one of the best examples of a fortress style castle anywhere in The U.K, built in the 13th Century it's in remarkable condition. There's also Caernarvon Castle just along the coast and Harlech Castle as another alternative. Snowdonia has long been one of my favourites, just driving around it is an experience in itself and there's plenty of interesting towns and villages in the area. Beddgellert is one such village, situated underneath Snowdon itself it's got a wide range of good restaurants and plenty of accommodation is available. Llanberis is also in that area, more of a town than a village and very popular with the rock climbing fraternity and with plenty of facilities. Betwys-y-coed is where we'll be having lunch on our Sunday run but you really need a few hours to do it justice. It's remained unspoiled by development but is packed with some great tourist and craft shops, a few miles from there you'll also find "The Ugly House" and The Swallow Falls.

The Northern side of the Lleyn peninsular is one of the undiscovered gems in North West Wales. Fantastic beaches, beautiful scenery, old smugglers coves and quiet country roads will greet you here. To the South of The Lleyn you'll find Criccieth, Porthmadog and Abersoch, nice beaches but much busier. Also in that area is Angelsey, it has some nice beaches and a decent castle at Beaumaris but not a lot to see really.

Overall its a great place to visit, there's plenty of places to stay and eat and to spend your money :lol: Reminds me of a sign I saw painted on a wall in a toilet block near to where ChrisS lives. It said "English Out" and below it someone had written "What, before we spend our money" :)

Pete

This is the web site of some friends of mine just up the lane from me.It's fully booked arround the Wales run though.

But the 'Things to do' 'The area' and 'The history' might be good pointers for you.

As Beavis said Llanberis,Portmerion,Beddgelert (need to read the myths/legends) Caernarvon,Harlech,Criccieth all very pretty.

But I'm biased as they are local.

If you do the A5 from Capel Currig to Caernarvon do it at dusk/dark when the helicopters go bobose. ;)

Zeds love the Llanberis pass.

Free tea and car washing at my place if needed. :thumbs: Just 5 miles from the Evo T.

http://www.acottageinwales.com/

Thanks guys, some real good info there!

I will have to get google maps up and start working out a route, we love castles etc, had a great week last year in Northumbria looking at all the Roman ruins and Hadrians Wall.

Looks like it might be worth making it a week not just a couple of days before the weekend...

Thanks again for everyone that has taken the time and effort to post, really appreciated :thumbs:

Mate the best advice I can add is to stay in the lion inn in gwytherin if you can stretch to it (not expensive but over travel lodge prices).......it looks like a knackered old pub but you can't help but fall in love with the place.....inside is awesome.

It's situated just outside of snowdonia and everywhere is within reach.....its got this mental little road leading out of the village and at the top there is a view that will make your testicals explode. :scare::scare:

One enjoyable little drive is around the Great Orm (sp), costs something like £1 to go up the great orme and one way so you know there is nothing coming other way - lovely twistie roads snaking up to the top where you can have a nice snack before belting down the other side :drive1

+1 really enjoyed the Orm when we did it on the wales trip the other year.

+1 really enjoyed the Orm when we did it on the wales trip the other year.

+2 ;)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22914

DSC_0005-3.jpg

P1000632.jpg

P1000634.jpg

P1000641.jpg

Although its not in Wales, its actually right on the border, it's well worth a visit to Chester if you've not been there before. There's so much to see and do and it's all compressed into a relatively small area, you can walk round the Roman walls or visit the City Centre with its unique shopping rows. Chester also has the best and biggest Zoo in The U.K :thumbs:

Pete

Mate the best advice I can add is to stay in the lion inn in gwytherin if you can stretch to it (not expensive but over travel lodge prices).......it looks like a knackered old pub but you can't help but fall in love with the place.....inside is awesome.

It's situated just outside of snowdonia and everywhere is within reach.....its got this mental little road leading out of the village and at the top there is a view that will make your testicals explode. :scare::scare:

Thanks Ricey I will check the Lion Inn out, but being a Womble I hope the view does not have only half the effect :dry:

Some great pics there, I might have to have a go on that one way road just for some practice before the actual weekend ;)

Although its not in Wales, its actually right on the border, it's well worth a visit to Chester if you've not been there before. There's so much to see and do and it's all compressed into a relatively small area, you can walk round the Roman walls or visit the City Centre with its unique shopping rows. Chester also has the best and biggest Zoo in The U.K :thumbs:

Pete

Cheers Pete, I have been to Chester once years ago but I only saw a Hotel room ceiling :blush:

Thread revival.

IF your car is not lowered and does not have a low front lip.(because of the road to the CP)

Aber Falls is a good afternoon out. (but the car park is £2.00 :thumbdown: )

http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/Walks/A ... s_Walk.htm

Only just thought of this :blush: even though we went for a walk there last week.

Thread revival.

IF your car is not lowered and does not have a low front lip.(because of the road to the CP)

Aber Falls is a good afternoon out. (but the car park is £2.00 :thumbdown: )

http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/Walks/A ... s_Walk.htm

Only just thought of this :blush: even though we went for a walk there last week.

Thanks Chris, nothing set in stone yet so any advice gratefully received...

Car isn't lowered and no lip so no worries, and coming from London £2 is cheap for a car park!!

If you do do North Wales before hand.

You will require the following before arriving at Morton on Friday afternoon.

Snow Foam

Megs Wash

and a good Wax,because you would not want to arrive 'mucky' now would you. :lol:

And if you are using the A5 to get to the Morton,after doing the Evo T. ;)

I know where this can be arranged, with a fine cup of tea as well.

(If using the A55 to get there,you'll have to get Pete 'JetSet' to sort you out)